Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had anyone ever installed one on their bike? If you have can you provide pics and what switch you used and location.

My bike can sit for a couple months at a time and I do not want to have to pull the battery every time.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
What about just using a battery tender? Even if you completely disconnect your battery from parasitic drain, it will still (slowly) discharge.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Why do you pull the battery? Do you not have a battery tender plug? If not I would certainty install one. Also make sure you do not keep fob on the bike. Store it inside away from the bike when it is setting. I got almost 5 years out of the original battery and only charged it 2 or 3 times.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately there is no electricity at the place i store it while I'm gone. That's why I'm thinking the disconnect switch. And I can be gone for work for up to 4 months at a time or more.

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
In that case, you may be forced to remove the battery each time you leave and connect it to a Battery Tender at another location. Aside from the effort required, it would be fool-proof. Another much more complicated solution would be to rig a solar panel to trickle charge your battery while in your bike. Need to be done correctly to avoid over-charging and might not be practical for any number of reasons. Leaving the battery sit, even if disconnected, for extended periods might work short term. But you run the risk of the battery self-discharging to a point that it will not start the bike. Also not good for the battery.

·
Registered
530 Posts
It would be a hellva lot simpler to just disconnect the cables and place something over the battery terminals or cable ends to prevent accidental contact.

·
Founding member
2,188 Posts
Why do you pull the battery? Do you not have a battery tender plug? If not I would certainty install one. Also make sure you do not keep fob on the bike. Store it inside away from the bike when it is setting. I got almost 5 years out of the original battery and only charged it 2 or 3 times.
The fob location means nothing and has no impact on fob or bike battery life. The bike has no reason to ping for the fob except when it is powered on (or if moved while the alarm is active). The bike has no way to know where the fob is and similarly the fob doesn't know where the bike is. Both bike and fob are in a constant "listening" mode which only draws extremely small current (<1 microamp) and the fob will only transmit when the bike pings it. Many owners & dealers keep the fob on the bike without a problem. Some owners keep passing this bad information around, but they can't say why the fob/bike communicate when the bike is powered down.

·
Bronze member
3,158 Posts
I store mine over the winter in a trailer at a work site.
In the spring I put a 2 amp charger to the pigtail that runs from the battery.
I has a three amp inline fuse from the factory,so a 2 amp should be Max on your charger.
I leave mine on overnight,then it's good to go for the summer.
Been doing this since new in 2015,and I have the same stock battery.

·
Silver member
4,647 Posts
It would not be that hard to put a battery disconnect on the negative terminal where it connects to bike frame. Mount it on the right side of bike. But I would just pull the ECU and VCM circuit breakers. That should stop any parasitic loads. The battery will still self discharge, which at 4 months and depending on temperature, might still be dead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts