Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning all,

I have a question, unfortunately I did not find anything in the forum.
Does anyone have any experience in how long the battery lasts when the alarm is on.

Reason:
Here in Düsseldorf, unfortunately, motorcycle theft has increased again in recent weeks.
Therefore I consider the RM to turn on the alarm despite the brake disc lock and locked garage.
It only makes little sense if he sucks the battery empty within a very short time.

I would be very grateful for any information.
In the sense
MacLeod

·
German Rider
1,718 Posts
Full battery will discharge in about 5 to 7 days without reloading, depending on outside temps, etc....

Best is to park/store it in your garage - if you have one. If only carport possible, I would use a big chain and "anchor" on the ground/in congrete. Homebuilt or bought at www.louis.de, etc.

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: Macleod

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
Full battery will discharge in about 5 to 7 days without reloading, depending on outside temps, etc....

Best is to park/store it in your garage - if you have one. If only carport possible, I would use a big chain and "anchor" on the ground/in congrete. Homebuilt or bought at www.louis.de, etc.

Cu,
Sven
My RM will start after sitting for two or three weeks in 0-10C degree weather. There was a recall to address the battery drain issue. If you are going to leave it parked for longer than, say, a month, then a battery tender is a good idea.

Reactions: jayred1

·
German Rider
1,718 Posts
That is correct. My roadmaster will fire up after 3 weeks without a problem, BUT Macleod asked about the timespan when ithe alarm is enabled ! With the alarm enabled, the timespan will drasticly go down to abou a week - depending on circumstances.

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
since i have a power connection in the garage, i will add a CTEK to the RM.
then i think i'm on the safe side

greetings
Macleod

·
Registered
337 Posts
My RM is parking in garage and alarm enabled. I put on a charger every 4 weeks and the alarm is still enabled.
Battery is about 50%, that is what the charger is showing.

·
Founding member
2,200 Posts
That is correct. My roadmaster will fire up after 3 weeks without a problem, BUT Macleod asked about the timespan when ithe alarm is enabled ! With the alarm enabled, the timespan will drasticly go down to abou a week - depending on circumstances.

Cu,
Sven
I have to disagree with your assessment. The remote keyless entry (RKE) system used on the Indians is in a constant listening mode (no transmit) even when the alarm is active. Likewise, the key fob is constantly listening for the bike to send a signal asking if it is in range. The only time the bike will go into the transmit mode is if the power or start button is pushed or, if the alarm is active, the bike is moved. Listening mode only draws in the low micro-ampere range and we know that the tiny fob battery (always listening) will last for at least a year The bike battery has much more power capacity than the 3v fob battery.

The sensor that monitors bike movement is likely a 3-axis accelerometer chip that is part of the microprocessor itself and doesn't affect the current draw since the microprocessor is in a low-power semi-sleep mode whether the bike's alarm is armed or not. As an RF engineer who has designed/used these RKE systems, IMO using the alarm will have minimal impact on the bike's battery life.

·
German Rider
1,718 Posts
Try/test it, than you will know.....

Cu,
Sven

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My God Jayred1, I didn't want to know that exactly.
But only the information about how long a battery charge with the alarm system switched on.
And to understand what you're writing, and I don't think I'm alone, I would have to go to school again.
Explaining more simply can often be more meaningful.
no offense

greeting
MacLeod

·
Registered
337 Posts
My Roadmaster’s battery was dead in a week with the alarm enabled
There must be something wrong with your bike, maybe a parasitic draw or a dead battery.

As mentioned above, my is is parking in garage and alarm enabled and battery is at appr. 50% after four weeks.

·
Founding member
2,200 Posts
My God Jayred1, I didn't want to know that exactly.
But only the information about how long a battery charge with the alarm system switched on.
And to understand what you're writing, and I don't think I'm alone, I would have to go to school again.
Explaining more simply can often be more meaningful.
no offense

greeting
MacLeod
You could read the last 13 words of my post and get the simple answer. I gave the rest to educate others that give an incorrect answer when they don't understanding the technology.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts