Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Original battery in my 2018 Indian Chieftain Limited died a little less than a year / 2500 mi into it's life. Dealer replaced with new, which I installed per the manual. No go. Checked the battery - full charge. Bike showing the following codes:
168 SPN 1 FMI C1140: Right hand control (battery potential/power input). Voltage below critical level.
168 SPN 1 FMI C1150: Left hand control (battery potential/power input). Voltage below critical level.
520262 SPN 4 FMI C1038: ABS source voltage. Voltage below normal or shorted to low source.

Bad voltage regulator? Any ideas?

Mike

·
Rider
528 Posts
If the bike wouldn't start after installing the new battery it won't be the regulator. It might be the ground connection to the frame, hopefully you didn't short the battery to the control module that's located on top of the battery while swapping, if so you might have an aw sh!t on your hands.
Good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
My 2018 throws the ABS low voltage after starting when it's below 35 or 40 degrees and cranks a little slower than normal. I've never seen the other two your getting, but have seen one other low voltage occasionally, don't remember what it was. Seems like these bikes need a strong battery or they throw codes. It only happens on mine when it's cold and the battery is weak and during startup. I've bitched at two dealers about it and they just say it's a software bug that will get fixed eventually. It hasn't happened since they flashed it in March with new code, but with this virus crap I haven't been riding as much as I used to. One dealer said it has something to do with the ride command unit pulling too much power as it boots.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Original battery in my 2018 Indian Chieftain Limited died a little less than a year / 2500 mi into it's life. Dealer replaced with new, which I installed per the manual. No go. Checked the battery - full charge. Bike showing the following codes:
168 SPN 1 FMI C1140: Right hand control (battery potential/power input). Voltage below critical level.
168 SPN 1 FMI C1150: Left hand control (battery potential/power input). Voltage below critical level.
520262 SPN 4 FMI C1038: ABS source voltage. Voltage below normal or shorted to low source.

Bad voltage regulator? Any ideas?

Mike
UPDATE 5/11/20
Placed battery back on trickle charger. Full charge - 12v. Replaced battery in fob. Drive 5 mins to storage facility. Install battery - no connection to bike. Measure battery - 12v. Connect the positive cable. Measure battery - 12v. Connect the ground. Measure battery - 12v. Hit power button. Screen powers up, fuel pump starts. Measure battery - voltage dropping. Bottoms out at 6v after only 5-6 seconds. Remove ground and positive cable. Battery voltage rising - 9v. Take battery back to garage (5 mins). Place on bench and measure - 12v.

Something is dragging the battery down immediately after power up.

The original battery died over the course of 3 rides. 1st ride showed the battery symbol. Went away after a 1hr ride. Placed bike on Indian-recommended trickle charger. 2nd ride showed the battery symbol. Stayed on for 40 mins. Didn't disappear till the bike was shut off and fired back up. Back on trickle charger when I got back home. 3rd ride to storage facility. 5 min ride, shut bike down to open facility door - no power to restart. Push bike in and remove battery to take to dealer.

Nearest dealer is 5 hours away so I hope there is something that can be done that doesn't require a one-way 5 hr trailer ride.

Mike

·
German Rider
1,729 Posts
Battery is dead. 12V is too low. Fully charged should show 12,6V or 12,7 Volts. When drops down to 9V or lower while starting, the batt is defect/dead. Maybe a bad battery from the beginning - they could be defective from the factory/manufactory. Happens not so often, but could be. Or something on your bike is sucking the battery empty. All OEM or something aftermarket INSTALLED, for example : lights, USB port, etc. Must be something electrical......

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: Jw roadmaster

·
Rider
528 Posts
Have you checked the charging voltage showing on the display when it's running? Should be charging about 14.4 volts while running. I agree with @Demolition Man about the battery voltage too, should be 12.6 when bike not running.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ah-ha! To everyone posted about the battery - you were correct! Took my Electra Glide battery and hard wired to the Chieftain. Borrowed a high-end Fluke multimeter. 12.4 volts. Hit the start button - fuel injector primed, display up, everything good. Started bike. No problems / no codes. 14.4 volts running (charging). Bought a replacement battery locally, installed it - running fine. Now, to address the bad 'warranty' battery I received from the dealer...….

Thanks to everyone for your help. Saved me several weeks and the trouble of trailering the bike 250+ miles.

·
Bronze member
3,432 Posts
good for you... my dealer made it a point to tell me the battery has exactly a 30 day warranty.. well when I went to leave after I bought it rode it over to the car to get my gear... shut it off.. put my gear on tried to restart my bike... bam nothing... salesman gets a mech they push it into the shop.. they put a new battery in and knock on wood everything has been fine.. but the 30 day warranty and then what happened to me... I kinda thought it must be 50/50 about the factory batteries lasting any time.. let me also say I read a lot on this forum about Indians... let me just say the pucker factor went to a 10 when that happened..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts