Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like many of you I've had to stay on top of keeping the battery connections tight on my Roadmaster and Vintage. Not that's it's hard to do, but removing the side panels to get the seat off is a bit of a pain. I've used star washers and fingernail polish on the bolts with limited success.
I was wondering what other tricks others have used to keep the connections tight.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
You have hard steel parts against soft lead and that can be an issue regardless of what you use.
Several things are at play, corrosion can build up resistance between dissimilar metals. This is best addressed with a compound that excludes oxygen from the parts joined. Several brand names are readily available (Corrosion-X is one). The second thing is the actual fasteners themselves subject to vibration and tension, Loctite Blue helps, lock-washers can help considerably. The best policy is to check and snug them whenever service is performed.

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
I've owned my scooter now for 18 months and 25,000 miles.When I first got it,the battery terminals as well as the frame ground connection, were all loose.So I tightened em, have checked em several times since,and they are still tight.And while I was at it I also applied alittle die electric grease on em to avoid any corrosion problems.And so far,so good!!

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
I try to make that a every second mth. thing where I do the battery, tyres, go over all the nuts and side covers to make sure they are secure, check how my tyres are wearing also. I have not had to check the water in the radiator yet lol :rolleyes::cool::(.

·
Bronze member
2,661 Posts
I try to make that a every second mth. thing where I do the battery, tyres, go over all the nuts and side covers to make sure they are secure, check how my tyres are wearing also. I have not had to check the water in the radiator yet lol :rolleyes::cool::(.
How come you haven't checked the water in the radiator yet?? Ya don't wanna over heat the motor on the road,do ya???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D

·
Bronze member
2,754 Posts
How come you haven't checked the water in the radiator yet?? Ya don't wanna over heat the motor on the road,do ya???:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D
Dave thanks you are so observant ,I should have known as owing 2 Road Masters that that should be the highest part of my check list. :eek::rolleyes::cool::(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts