Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's great that there's a charging port from the factory BUT has anyone figured out how to get to the damn thing??? I can see it in there but it's completely buried in all of the other wires!

·
Rider
606 Posts
It's great that there's a charging port from the factory BUT has anyone figured out how to get to the damn thing??? I can see it in there but it's completely buried in all of the other wires!
YEP! pulled mine out and zip tied it to passenger foot peg mounting bracket.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Mine is tucked right at the edge of the side panel. Out of sight but easy to reach when I grab for it. Left my Garmin Zumo xt on all day Saturday so glad it was easy to get. Had to leave it on the trickle charger for 4 hours Sunday before I could ride. Once you get it out just tuck it right behind the steal frame and it should be good to go. It may help to remove the plastic side panel to get it out the first time. That's what I did.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm going to guess that the charging port is a dealer install vs a factory install as I am sure I do not have one. I pulled the battery cover off and I don't see another wire on the battery; only the positive and negative cables; nothing else. Anyone have a thought on this?

·
Registered
598 Posts
It's supposed to be a standard feature and most dealers pull it out so it's easier to get to. It should be tucked in there somewhere.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'm going to guess that the charging port is a dealer install vs a factory install as I am sure I do not have one. I pulled the battery cover off and I don't see another wire on the battery; only the positive and negative cables; nothing else. Anyone have a thought on this?
It's standard and not dealer installed. It's even shown in the owner's manual. It's just buried in there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
On my chieftain it was burried in the back, but even bringing it closer was still inconvenient because you have to take that cover off.
What I ended up doing is making an adapter for the 12v socket in the right saddle bag. Since it's direct to the battery, it charges just the same. And much more convenient.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,302 Posts
I didn't like the fact I had to remove the left side cover when I had the Chieftain in order to connect my Battery Tender. I see nothing has changed with regards to the Challenger.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I didn't like the fact I had to remove the left side cover when I had the Chieftain in order to connect my Battery Tender. I see nothing has changed with regards to the Challenger.
That's probably part of the reason they changed it for the 2021 models.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am going to look yet again for charging port but I do have a question. The charging end is shown in the picture. My question is: What is the other end of the wiring hooked up to? On my bike, the only cables or wires hooked to the battery are the negative & positive battery cables; nothing else. Usually the charging port is attached to the battery. I don't see how i could have a charging port without being connected to the battery. I've checked 3 times over the past few months but will check again soon and report back.

·
Registered
598 Posts
My guess is they're connected to the fuse bus the battery is connected to.

Edit: Yep, I just looked at the diagram, it's cable 153A/B to the fuse box.

Another:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have looked 4 different times for that battery tender. But when TechRider and IndianAZ doubled teamed me, I knew that either they didn't know what they talking about or I didn't know what I was talking about. So, I went back in for a 5th time to look. I could not find it again. I was about to button it all back up again and think it was I that knew what was going on when I quit looking inside the opening and felt under the front of the frame or to to the left of the opening. There is was. Not only did I find the wire but I found the idiot that didn't know what he was talking about. TechRider and IndianAZ I give a sheepish - you are right.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Glad you found it! Truth be told I asked the dealer to find it for me, and the service guy finally found it. LOL Sucker is hidden in there.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Glad you found it!
Agreed!

My dealer had mine pulled out and made a point of showing me where it was so I was a little ahead of the game. :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
I just use the power outlet in right saddle bag on my Challenger.
Did same for Chieftains, easier than the charging plug.
David

1 - 20 of 25 Posts