Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. Purchased my Scout Sixty Bobber this past weekend, and climbing the learning curve. I just found out about battery maintenance and care, and that the bike is equipped with a charge connection to connect a charger. However, I have searched all over the internet and cannot find a charger with a connection compatible to my bike. The charge port on my bike is what you see in the picture, which appears to connect to a dual female connection. Every charger I see for sale has the standard alligator clamps and/or a small connection of male/female side-by-side. I am a ta loos, has anyone else had this dilemma, and what did you do? Thanks for any input.

·
Bronze member
1,462 Posts
If your sure that is in fact the battery pig tail for a smart charger, then welcome to Indians way of trying to force you to buy their ( rebadged overpriced ) charger by using a proprietary plug end. I have always used Deltrans smart chargers. The pig tails come w/a new charger unit and MC shops carry extra pigtails in case you have multiple bikes and only one charger. Go to the Polaris/Indian shop and ask to see their batt chargers. If they have the opposite end/plug then you’ll know for sure what they are up to.

·
Bronze member
2,256 Posts
The CTEK battery chargers/maintainers e.g. come with this (european?) standard connector.

See here in this review:

I have one as well, that's why I recognized this connector.
(They are very good btw ... bought mine after doing some research)

Sent from my SM-N976Q using Tapatalk

·
Registered
59 Posts
The Ctek US 0.8 charger fits that, and you can probably find one on amazon for 50-75 dollars. A lot of dealers do this, not just Indian. They try to get you to purchase the rest of the package (charger and additional cables) through them for a surcharge, because they preinstalled the leads. Mine came with the universal SAE pigtail, but I already had a ctek one from another bike so I bought an adapter. Not necessary, but makes charging up a low or dead battery easier on the scout since the battery is tucked away under the fuse box and cables.

·
Rider
1,186 Posts
The standard pigtail is great because I can, with a $15 USB adapter that fits it, charge my phone on my 60. Only needed it a couple of times, but very handy.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Look a little further, my bike also has the older double bullit style connector in the harness below the one you are showing. It doesn't have a long pigtail and it has a wee cover to protect it. UK bike here so yours may be different.

·
Registered
570 Posts
The standard pigtail is great because I can, with a $15 USB adapter that fits it, charge my phone on my 60. Only needed it a couple of times, but very handy.
There are a bunch of different accessories that will plug into a standard pig tail such as the one Old Kentucky Guy mentions here. I find I use my pigtail for uses other than charging the battery more often than charging the battery.

Does anyone know if there is an adapter that will convert this specialized money grab to a standard pigtail handoff?

Barring that, you could always run a new standard pigtail from the battery. They are not expensive and the installation is easy.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I think this is the part and number: CTEK adapter, 56-564. I was going to order one at some point but haven't gotten around to it. And yes you could always replace with a sae style charging unit that comes with a universal lead.

·
Registered
66 Posts
There are a bunch of different accessories that will plug into a standard pig tail such as the one Old Kentucky Guy mentions here. I find I use my pigtail for uses other than charging the battery more often than charging the battery.

Does anyone know if there is an adapter that will convert this specialized money grab to a standard pigtail handoff?

Barring that, you could always run a new standard pigtail from the battery. They are not expensive and the installation is easy.
I would agree. removing the connection from the battery and replacing it is very easy to do. Also, the least expensive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
In the UK or Europe, much the simplest thing to use for trickle charging an Indian Scout 1200 is to buy a Motorpower automatic battery charger for £23 (comes next day on Amazon), as this has the correct lead that fits right into the exterior jack hanging down on the left side of the bike, and does not need to be connected to the battery under the seat! This saves a massive amount of hassle - no additional connector converters required and no need to remove the battery cover.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts