Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to change out the existing battery cables (my ground has a slight fray in it). Has anyone replaced with higher cranking/better quality than OEM battery cables? I have searched and have found sumax, drag specialties, etc, but would like some real world recommendations. Thanks.

·
Bronze member
3,102 Posts
If you have a frayed cable,then just replace that cable with the same gauge wire as what came on it from the factory.Why?? Because the machine only comes equipped with a 55 amp stator.However,if the machine was used for police service,meaning it would have a bunch of emergency lights,a siren,radar,a radio,and maybe a larger output stator,then ya may or maynot need heavier gauge battery cables.But the factory cables should be more then adaquit for your application.

·
Registered
377 Posts
It never hurts to go larger on the cables,alternator amperage is not an issue as they are sized by the OEM for the lowest cost,size,for the starter as it is what is the biggest load on the system.

·
Premium Member
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, just checking as will be replacing soon. I figured high capacity wouldn’t hurt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts