Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My battery struggled to start the Chief yesterday, as a bit cool outside but still summer down here in NZ. It threw a "chkeng" code in the process. Tested the battery, it's almost shot. 2 years old, 7000kms.

They don't make 'em like they used to...FYI...battery type (2014 Classic) is 20HL-BS

·
Rider
435 Posts
greeting are battery cheaper down under in new Zealand compared to states ? example road master aftermarket good battery is $225 USD .

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
greeting are battery cheaper down under in new Zealand compared to states ? example road master aftermarket good battery is $225 USD .
Nothing is cheaper in NZ, I imagine I'll pay $200-$250.

·
Silver member
4,984 Posts
If you figure your bike was built well ahead of shipment to the dealer and then then the sale your battery is more like 3+ years old...

·
Bronze member
2,563 Posts
The battery in my 16 RM struggled to start during a cold snap...1 yr, 11 months old. Replaced battery.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I keep reading about this short battery life issue. I had the same issue with my Harley. I always had maint free Yuasa batteries in my Yamahas and they lasted up to 7 years. So I'm right at two years now and just waiting I guess. Hope it doesn't crap out real far away from home. Please post what you end up replacing yours with.

·
Rider
360 Posts
I got 3 1/2 years out of my stock 14 Indian Battery. But it probably helps that it never went more than a month without being rode and charged. Didn't want to press my luck so I proactively replaced it and gave the old one to my buddy for his Hardley. He has a Sringer and believe it or not, IT WAS EXACTLY A GOOD FIT!

·
Super Moderator
4,866 Posts
My battery struggled to start the Chief yesterday, as a bit cool outside but still summer down here in NZ. It threw a "chkeng" code in the process. Tested the battery, it's almost shot. 2 years old, 7000kms.

They don't make 'em like they used to...FYI...battery type (2014 Classic) is 20HL-BS
Still on my OE battery, 2014 and just under 13k miles. I do have a slow crank in this cooler weather we're having. I know this, when I do get a battery it's going to have WAY more CCA's that this lightweight OE battery!!

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Got a little over 2½ years on the stock battery on my 2015 Chieftain, replaced it with one with more cranking power.

>---------> >---------> >--------->

Live Free - Ride Hard - Die Well

·
Early joiner
116 Posts
Got a little over 2½ years on the stock battery on my 2015 Chieftain, replaced it with one with more cranking power.

Hey Roadie
Not trying to start anything, but I was wondering if you ride in colder weather? Say bellow 35 degrees? I replaced my stock three plus year old Yuasa with the same Renegade and am not pleased at all. The Yuasa cranked it over much better in cold temps than the new Renagade. I even called A-Z battery where I bought it and they said it must have been damaged in shipment so they sent me another. It stinks too! They claim it to be 500 cca but I don't believe it. My next one will be the OEM Yuasa. I ride down to about 18-20 degrees and it has always cranked slow at those temps but with the Renegade it takes me a couple tries to even start. Just my experience.

·
Administrator
14,703 Posts
Third winter on my 2015 OEM and it fires every time (albeit slowly during the mornings under 25 degrees and when it’s been sitting in my unheated garage for three days plus). I ride year-round in Colorado and get my bike out between snowstorms.

Methinks I’m lucky tho. Definitely gonna replace it over the summer (not risking a fourth winter).

·
Bronze member
2,563 Posts
The battery in my 110 Street Glide would only last 2-3 yrs too. Always kept on a tender, but it seems larger displacement bikes with more electrical components eat a battery faster.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
4,503 Posts
I replaced my battery last summer. Cold cranking it would turn over and then just click. The clock would go to 12:00 and I would have to reset it. It would always start but I got tired of resetting the clock :) So I had the battery tested and replaced after the test verified it was bad. These bikes have a lot of electronics on them so I don't think the batteries will last as long.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
The battery in my 110 Street Glide would only last 2-3 yrs too. Always kept on a tender, but it seems larger displacement bikes with more electrical components eat a battery faster.
My experience has been if you don’t ride your bike often a battery tender greatly extends the battery life. But most of you probably already know that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Founding member
2014 Red Chief Classic
918 Posts

I just replaced my battery last month with one of these. Though I had no problem with the battery I was beginning to worry as I've had the bike for 4 years and 4 months and did not want a surprise out on the road. I'll be doing the 30,000 mile service this week. Of course, the bike is garage kept, still looks new I'm told, and I ride all year long, especially this past month as it was up in the 80's all month long.

·
Registered
7,995 Posts
Hey Roadie
Not trying to start anything, but I was wondering if you ride in colder weather? Say bellow 35 degrees? I replaced my stock three plus year old Yuasa with the same Renegade and am not pleased at all. The Yuasa cranked it over much better in cold temps than the new Renagade. I even called A-Z battery where I bought it and they said it must have been damaged in shipment so they sent me another. It stinks too! They claim it to be 500 cca but I don't believe it. My next one will be the OEM Yuasa. I ride down to about 18-20 degrees and it has always cranked slow at those temps but with the Renegade it takes me a couple tries to even start. Just my experience.
I ride year round here in the Texas Hill Country, only a few days in the lower 30s, but those types of days are rare in my area of Texas, have over 50,000 miles on the bike at a little over 3 years old.

·
Registered
594 Posts
The OEM battery in my '14 Vintage just died suddenly in November 2016. $99 got a Yuasa exact replacement.

·
Registered
668 Posts
I uncovered my 2016 Roadmaster this past weekend, unplugged the battery tender, hit the power button, and ......nothing. Replaced the battery and all is well.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I replaced my battery in my 2015 Vintage in late summer of 2016 and I just got back from a ride today and it wouldn't turn over just outside my garage. First ride this year but long ride with several stops and no issues until I got home. It's back on the tender but I may be getting just about 1 1/2 yrs on each battery!?!? Seems wrong.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Mine didn't crank all that well when it was new. These are two BIG cylinders and a little battery. It just might be the nature of the beast.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts