Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Founding member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well after 2 weeks of research on every forum, facebook page, and youtube video I finally made a decision on pipes for Big Blue. I hope I made the right one but, it feels right. Found the best price on the Bassani's at West End. It was a real toss up between these and Lloydz but I like the fact I can change the ends on these if I want to and Lloydz won't come out with that option for at least another 3 months. Just couldn't wait. The only thing I didn't like about this bike was the stock pipe sound. Of course it seems they are almost all this way nowadays. Hopefully in about a week I'll have some great rumble to go with this great bike!!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Basani mufflers

What is the dealer telling you about your warranty if you put on aftermarket pipes? Some of them seem to want to do the 2-step on warranty work- don't know if its the individual dealer or Indian, depends on who is telling their experience I guess, Also, why is it necessary to reprogram the computer just for a pair of slip-ons? If the thing is no smarter than that, Indian needs to throw them out and get another supplier.Its a rip-off and we all know it, but they have the warranty hammer to hang over our heads

·
Registered
196 Posts
Thundermax makes the best computer I have ever used. It self adjusts for optimal performance. It can be adjusted on a dyno, but is designed to be plug and play. Love to see them fit one to an Indian. I have used Bassani slip ons before on my twin cam, they had a great sound. When I switched to Rinehart true duals the darn things over time got louder and louder until I no longer enjoyed the added power (and they did add noticeable power). I am sticking with the stock pipes for now, very happy with the sound and power. Perhaps in the future I will get adventuresome and modify, but I'll wait and let others do the R&D first. I'd rather see a seven gallon fuel tank than a different muffler at this point. Maybe I am getting old and boring, but loud doesn't cut it for me now. Low deep rumble is perfectly okay.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I ordered the Bassani slip-on for my chieftain from West End. They had the best deal and I've had them on for a week now. No check engine lights or codes ever came on. I now like the way the bike sounds. You can actually hear the bike idle and comes alive when you get on the throttle. Since I live in CA, I also better keep my stock mufflers just in case. One more thing I also noticed is that the chrome on the stock mufflers were starting to pit. Not bad yet but noticeable enough with your eyes and feel with your hands. I also measured the tubing diameter of the header pipe from the catalytic converter going into the mufflers and found that to be at 1-3/4" OD. So with that info, you just might be able to find and use other mufflers out there as long as it's the same inlet diameter and length but will have to make brackets for the set. The muffler end of the Bassanis look like they can be opened and pulled apart. I'll check on that next weekend and see if it does.

·
Founding member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bassani mufflers installed at the dealer. They sound good. I'm going to let them burn in a little to see if I want to remove the baffles or not. No flash of the ECM needed yet. That will come when I get my Thunder Mfg. A/C installed when it comes in. Loving this so far.

·
Founding member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After letting them burn in for 200 miles I think I want louder. Anyone know if and how to remove the baffles with the mufflers on the bike? I've asked this same questions on other forums and the concensus seems to be you MUST remove the mufflers to remove the baffles. Anybody on this forum have another way or am I just fooling myself thinking I can do it? Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
58 Posts
After letting them burn in for 200 miles I think I want louder. Anyone know if and how to remove the baffles with the mufflers on the bike? I've asked this same questions on other forums and the concensus seems to be you MUST remove the mufflers to remove the baffles. Anybody on this forum have another way or am I just fooling myself thinking I can do it? Any input appreciated.
I have Bassani mufflers on my 14 Vintage, what i did was removed baffles and then removed the wrapping completely from the baffles and put unwrapped baffles back in the mufflers. Nice and loud. I wouldn't remove baffles because it will be too loud and alot of popping. I have a video of mine if you are interested

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have Bassani mufflers on my 14 Vintage, what i did was removed baffles and then removed the wrapping completely from the baffles and put unwrapped baffles back in the mufflers. Nice and loud. I wouldn't remove baffles because it will be too loud and alot of popping. I have a video of mine if you are interested
sjk3102, I'm interested. I also saw the You Tube video with Bassani and think they're the ticket for now. I also live very close to Anaheim CA where I understand Bassani has they're corporate HQ. Looking forward to a sound that has what's missing from my Chieftain. Please let me know where/how I can see your video, bro. Appreciate it.

·
Founding member
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have seen your video and it's one of the reasons I went with these mufflers. Someone on another forum told me they were easy to remove but, I've found that just isn't true. When you removed yours and unwrapped them did you have them off the bike or on? How did you get them out? It seems you would have to be very precise re-installing them to get the mounting screw to line up properly. I asked my dealer if they would do it but, I'd really rather do it myself. Just hate the thought of having to remove the mufflers, remove the baffles, unwrap, re-install baffles and then re-install mufflers. Was hoping all could be accomplished with mufflers on the bike. I just know I'm going to F something up doing all that. It always seems to happen to me for some reason or other. Drop something, break something, over tighten something. You name it, I'll probably do it. Just looking for the easiest way to get that loud rumble like in your video. So any input or help from anybody is more than appreciated!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hey pal, i just noticed your post, have not been on forum for a few weeks so im not sure you took out baffles yet. If not, i took my baffles out while mufflers still on bike. They are hard to get out, i used a slide hammer, i just hooked the end of hammer inside the baffle and within one second they came out with no problem. It was very simple and painless. Took wrapping off, put baffles back and im done. I hope that helps

·
Registered
161 Posts
Basani mufflers

What is the dealer telling you about your warranty if you put on aftermarket pipes? Some of them seem to want to do the 2-step on warranty work- don't know if its the individual dealer or Indian, depends on who is telling their experience I guess, Also, why is it necessary to reprogram the computer just for a pair of slip-ons? If the thing is no smarter than that, Indian needs to throw them out and get another supplier.Its a rip-off and we all know it, but they have the warranty hammer to hang over our heads
The re map is required to prvent the mixture from leaning out. Indian only has 2 remaps at the moment. 1 for pipes and 1 for intake. According to the VP of Polaris it does not effect the warranty to change pipes. In fact they encourage it.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Yes. A reflash is required for slipons. Read above.
Check out KMC Powersports on Facebook. The owner Kyle is doing some leading edge mods to his Chieftain. He has some very impressive dyno numbers. He uses a Vicbaggers Venum Plenum intake, a Bosch 60mm throttle body, Lloydz slipons and a Power Commander 5. 93hp and 125tq to the back wheel!! Kyle added a 30hp shot of nitrous to the same setup. 119hp and 142tq! He said the only issue he had was that the clutch started to slip. A set of beefier springs should cure that. He is now doing a 121 big bore kit. The intake and exhaust should not effect warranty. The throttle body on the other hand might. If you have an issue related to some of the above modifications, make sure to return the bike to stock before doing a warranty claim.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Who is doing the reflash? You guys doing that at the dealer? Or is there a way to do it yourself? It seems to make more sense to do the pipes and the ThunderMfg Air mod before you do the map. But alas I am 180 miles from the dealer.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Who is doing the reflash? You guys doing that at the dealer? Or is there a way to do it yourself? It seems to make more sense to do the pipes and the ThunderMfg Air mod before you do the map. But alas I am 180 miles from the dealer.
As far as I know the dealer has to do it. Nobody else can get into the ecu. Unless of course you have a power commander...

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have seen your video and it's one of the reasons I went with these mufflers. Someone on another forum told me they were easy to remove but, I've found that just isn't true. When you removed yours and unwrapped them did you have them off the bike or on? How did you get them out? It seems you would have to be very precise re-installing them to get the mounting screw to line up properly. I asked my dealer if they would do it but, I'd really rather do it myself. Just hate the thought of having to remove the mufflers, remove the baffles, unwrap, re-install baffles and then re-install mufflers. Was hoping all could be accomplished with mufflers on the bike. I just know I'm going to F something up doing all that. It always seems to happen to me for some reason or other. Drop something, break something, over tighten something. You name it, I'll probably do it. Just looking for the easiest way to get that loud rumble like in your video. So any input or help from anybody is more than appreciated!!
I was able to use a heavy weighted swing trainer golf club to knock out the baffles with just a few good taps. I am going to experiment with adding just a bit of the wrapping to the baffles to see if i can get a deeper tone.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts