Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love the Bassani on the FTR, to me it suits the whole intent of the bike in regards to looks and sound.
It is very loud though, part of me loves it because it could be argued that it's too loud.
I do have concerns about the noise emissions though, some trackdays especially during the week have noise limits. I'm keen to try the FTR at the track soon so I fashioned this to see how much of that beautiful sound could be suppressed without killing too much performance.

I'll let the vid say the rest, please read the description for my further thoughts...

·
Bronze member
2,384 Posts
With the db killer in. It sounds almost identical to my racefit with the db killer. The racefit uses about a 4in tube that exetends into the canister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the db killer in. It sounds almost identical to my racefit with the db killer. The racefit uses about a 4in tube that exetends into the canister.

That's interesting, did you consider getting Ryan to tune with it in?
I would have used the dB killers from the Akras as they extend into the muffler like you said but Mr Bassani in his wisdom (I mean that sincerely) put a big bar in the way.

·
Bronze member
2,384 Posts
I didn’t. But I do feel what you feel. When it’s in, low end feels like a bit more punch. But suffers in the top end.

But it’s not enough to worry about messing with the tune for me. I only keep the baffle in for long rides or when riding with a passenger when she doesn’t want to listen to the loud.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
It is very loud though, part of me loves it because it could be argued that it's too loud.
I do have concerns about the noise emissions though,
I think it all depends on your own ears, and your local law. (and how much you want your neighbors to "enjoy" your bike's noise). Large parts of Europe are pretty strict nowadays. The US far less. I like my bikes to make at least some noise yes, but not too much because it may also draw unwanted attention of leos for totally sound-unrelated behavior.

For me, cat installed and baffles removed from the Akras sounds perfect.

·
Read Only
416 Posts
Either sounds really good. I do prefer with the baffle in, however, since, on the video at least, it has a deeper resonance to it at idle, acceleration and drive-by....makes me wish I had longer legs so I could fit on an FTR...(y)

·
Rider
1,314 Posts
I love the Bassani on the FTR, to me it suits the whole intent of the bike in regards to looks and sound.
I do have concerns about the noise emissions though, some trackdays especially during the week have noise limits. I'm keen to try the FTR at the track soon so I fashioned this to see how much of that beautiful sound could be suppressed without killing too much performance.

I'll let the vid say the rest, please read the description for my further thoughts...

Hey, you're not supposed to get out of 3rd gear near your mum's house!...?

·
Registered
1 Posts
That's interesting, did you consider getting Ryan to tune with it in?
I would have used the dB killers from the Akras as they extend into the muffler like you said but Mr Bassani in his wisdom (I mean that sincerely) put a big bar in the way.
Isn't that bar part of the removable baffle? Have you tried taking a slide hammer to it and putting a smaller diameter baffle in? That was my plan so if that cant be done I'm gonna be a little sad.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The ba
Isn't that bar part of the removable baffle? Have you tried taking a slide hammer to it and putting a smaller diameter baffle in? That was my plan so of that cant be done I'm gonna be a little sad.
The bar is part of the removable baffle, it's how you get the thing out. I'd rather make another baffle as it would take the same time to make as the dB killer.
It's more the way it kills the performance that bothers me, it lost the loose, free feeling of the secret sauce tune so I'll leave it out for now but take it to the track just in case.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts