Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey gang, i’m going on a long road trip at the end of the month and was hoping i could get some help with what basic tools to bring (sizing etc) for just in case scenarios. I haven’t bought a new tool set yet and I’d like to make sure they work on my scout sixty. appreciate the help in advance!!

·
Rider
1,278 Posts
Reactions: meeks

·
Bronze member
2019 FTR 1200
1,283 Posts
I do a lot of off-roading and typically ride over-prepared with a fully loaded backpack, so I usually just take that with me when I'm riding around on the Scout and let it rest on the rear fender (leather fender protector keeps it off of the paint). A few things that I don't think have been mentioned yet: metric spare bolt kit (available at any dirt bike shop), hose tape, a small pair of wire strippers that can also crimp, butt connectors in a few gauge sizes, quick dry JB weld adhesive, a long phillips screwdriver with a bit that fits your battery screws perfectly (so easy to strip them), jumper cables that work with your battery tender lead, spare ear plugs, spare hand warmers.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Haven’t made a long trip in a while, but usually had the following when going out in a road trip:

• Gerber multi-tool
  • Stubby metric wrenches 8-15
  • Normal size wrenches in 8, 10, 13, 15
  • Metric Allen wrenches
  • Small vice grips
  • Small and medium crescent
  • Flat head screw driver
  • Air gauge
  • 3/8” drive ratchet, extension, and spark plug socket
  • 3/8” shallow sockets in 8, 10, 13, 15 and 3” extension
  • Cutters
  • Rescue tape
  • A bit of wire and electrical tape
  • Various Fuses
  • Tire repair kit
I could usually fit this with no issue between my tank bag, back pack, and small luggage back I’d strap to the back seat. I’ve never been left stranded, even with a fuel line rupture in the TN mountains(thanks rescue tape).

·
Silver member
5,452 Posts
And don't forget, keep your bike in tiptop shape. You'll notice things before they break. Like clutch cables for instance...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when i know i'm riding far out of town, i always take my backpack...

in my backpack, i have towels, a first aid kit, a tool kit and a basic tire repair kit...

First Aid Kit was given to me by an insurance salesman

Tire Repair Kit was purchased from Wal-Mart: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Slime-10...MIhtz5goKA4QIVXZ7ACh2Gngd6EAQYAyABEgKjwfD_BwE

Tool Kit was purchased from Cycle Gear: Oxford Metric Tool Kit Pro - Cycle Gear

i also got some Ibuprofen and Alergy Pills in case i need them HAHAH !!!
thank you so much, this looks awesome!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do a lot of off-roading and typically ride over-prepared with a fully loaded backpack, so I usually just take that with me when I'm riding around on the Scout and let it rest on the rear fender (leather fender protector keeps it off of the paint). A few things that I don't think have been mentioned yet: metric spare bolt kit (available at any dirt bike shop), hose tape, a small pair of wire strippers that can also crimp, butt connectors in a few gauge sizes, quick dry JB weld adhesive, a long phillips screwdriver with a bit that fits your battery screws perfectly (so easy to strip them), jumper cables that work with your battery tender lead, spare ear plugs, spare hand warmers.
thank you for the info!

·
Rider
1,278 Posts
this i am going to have to look into, thank you!
Yeah, that tire repair kit is better...more expensive, but better and worth it...

Lots of things that can be upgraded, so do your research to find out what’s worth spending money on and what’s not :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haven’t made a long trip in a while, but usually had the following when going out in a road trip:

• Gerber multi-tool
  • Stubby metric wrenches 8-15
  • Normal size wrenches in 8, 10, 13, 15
  • Metric Allen wrenches
  • Small vice grips
  • Small and medium crescent
  • Flat head screw driver
  • Air gauge
  • 3/8” drive ratchet, extension, and spark plug socket
  • 3/8” shallow sockets in 8, 10, 13, 15 and 3” extension
  • Cutters
  • Rescue tape
  • A bit of wire and electrical tape
  • Various Fuses
  • Tire repair kit
I could usually fit this with no issue between my tank bag, back pack, and small luggage back I’d strap to the back seat. I’ve never been left stranded, even with a fuel line rupture in the TN mountains(thanks rescue tape).
nice list, thank you for the recommendations!

·
Registered
875 Posts
You can jump thru that lead?? I thought it was too thin to take the current. Must find!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
2019 FTR 1200
1,283 Posts
You can jump thru that lead?? I thought it was too thin to take the current. Must find!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
General rule of thumb is not to use tender leads for jumping. I've done it a few times in a pinch without consequence. I tend to cut corners until it bites me in the ass, hasn't bit me yet.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
Basic Tool Pack on Amazon
Add:
Tie Wraps, flat repair kit, good flashlight.small roll duct tape.

·
Bronze member
1,910 Posts
Having a set of tools may indicate that the rider does not trust his/her motorcycle.
After owning more than 40 motorcycles in nearly 50 years,.....I rarely carry any tools as today's bikes are such that most are extremely reliable. However that cannot be said of bikes like my older Brit bikes. My older metric bikes may have needed chain adjustments on longer trips and maybe other minor adjustments.
The Scouts don't have chains, carbs, points, or even tube type tires. So most repairs or adjustments would require dealer service.
Just make sure that you have a "Roadside Assistance" card and ATM or credit card when traveling.
JMHO

·
Bronze member
1,772 Posts
Having a set of tools may indicate that the rider does not trust his/her motorcycle.
After owning more than 40 motorcycles in nearly 50 years,.....I rarely carry any tools as today's bikes are such that most are extremely reliable. However that cannot be said of bikes like my older Brit bikes. My older metric bikes may have needed chain adjustments on longer trips and maybe other minor adjustments.
The Scouts don't have chains, carbs, points, or even tube type tires. So most repairs or adjustments would require dealer service.
Just make sure that you have a "Roadside Assistance" card and ATM or credit card when traveling.
JMHO
And Cell phone

1 - 19 of 19 Posts