Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
121 - 125 of 125 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Any tips on getting the ratchet arm back into.position without removing the basket? I don't have an impact gun or a clutch locking.tool , have tried to get it back into position but no luck so far. Thx

·
Registered
96 Posts
I did the clutch install but had two issues that I'd like to share to hopefully help out the next guy....

First, when you pull off the primary cover, use your finger to keep the shifter shaft pushed in. Mine pulled out slightly with the primary cover which caused the washer to fall out and the shift shaft assembly arm to slide off the stop that holds it in place (see attached picture). I didn't realize this until the bike was completely back together but wouldn't shift into gear. This sucked and took me a long time to diagnose - not to mention, a second tear-down.
Font Auto part Drawing Rectangle Circle

The other issue was putting on the clutch pressure plate. I snapped one of the five bolts. I didn't even have 15lbs of pressure on them yet. so BE CAREFUL. Since there was such little pressure, it was pretty easy to get the remainder of the bolt out with a "speed out" but it still sucked going to get 5 replacement bolts mid-project. Long story short, if I do this again, ever, I'll replace the bolts again. They were really crappy quality steel.
If this helps one person, cool.

·
Rider
981 Posts
I did the clutch install but had two issues that I'd like to share to hopefully help out the next guy....

First, when you pull off the primary cover, use your finger to keep the shifter shaft pushed in. Mine pulled out slightly with the primary cover which caused the washer to fall out and the shift shaft assembly arm to slide off the stop that holds it in place (see attached picture). I didn't realize this until the bike was completely back together but wouldn't shift into gear. This sucked and took me a long time to diagnose - not to mention, a second tear-down. View attachment 655171

The other issue was putting on the clutch pressure plate. I snapped one of the five bolts. I didn't even have 15lbs of pressure on them yet. so BE CAREFUL. Since there was such little pressure, it was pretty easy to get the remainder of the bolt out with a "speed out" but it still sucked going to get 5 replacement bolts mid-project. Long story short, if I do this again, ever, I'll replace the bolts again. They were really crappy quality steel.
If this helps one person, cool.
The only go to 89in lbs

·
Registered
3 Posts
While it's sort of a dead thread, It's been a massive help for my research to make sure when I do my clutch install next weekend, I'm prepared. So thank you all. But in a youtube video, an installer of the Indian Power Clutch says that his OEM screws for the springs weren't heavy enough and one broke. I'm asking because I got Indian V-Twin Performance's springs (I think RacNRay posts PSI's on them [then corrected by someone else that it's Newtons], but the ones from Indianvtwin.com are equal to 105psi - so much, much stronger. Thus my question, does the Barnett come with heavier bolts to hold the springs? Or is it that he may have forgotten blue loctite? Thanks for the advice so far.
Bishop

·
Registered
399 Posts
Well, finally got some time to tear into the clutch on my 116 Dark Horse. Since upgrading the power on this bike it has been able to out pull the clutch even with the Indian upgraded springs and a good condition stock clutch pack. This has mostly been noticeable in 5th and 6th gear wide open throttle, I have to back off the throttle to keep her from slipping too much. Barnett racing clutch to the rescue!

Step one: externals - pull floorboard and shift linkage as well as clutch cable, put drain pan under cover and pull cover.
View attachment 418440
Here you can see the clutch basket, primary and secondary drive gears, torque compensator.
View attachment 418442
From this side you can see that pesky plastic oil pump drive gear. Mine seemed to be very loose fitting, but seems to be designed that way.
View attachment 418444
I was expecting to see a lot cleaner internals on a bike with only 3800 miles, but I don't have any comparisons with others. Maybe the slipping clutch has contributed to a little extra debris in the oil.
View attachment 418446
Here is the clutch basket with springs and plates removed... all looks in perfect condition.
View attachment 418448

NEXT installment - parts comparisons and reassembly
You know, I'd bet if it was slipping, it was probably just an out of spec bolt or something. Probably not tight enough. That's really low mileage for slippage. Especially you said what, 5th and 6th gear? Clutch wear normally shows up at around 3k rpm in 3rd.

121 - 125 of 125 Posts