Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
There is one on YouTube, i think I recall it is done by Indian
Only one that I could find was for the Scout. The manual says that you have to loosen the frame downtube, which is four bolts. I plan to support the engine with my floor jack when I swap out my cable next week, or the week after...whenever it gets here.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Go to the one that says Indian Roadmaster clutch inspection and adjustment. You can also subscribe to the Indian motorcycle videos and find it.

·
Rider
631 Posts
Old cable out. Easy...
Cut it.....
Don't bother removing any of the frame mounting bolts as the manual advises.
Headlight has to come out to access the routing for the cable.
Route the new cable (Barnett) outside the frame and secure with some extra tie-wraps.
Now if you get into trouble on the road somewhere, it will be so much easier to swap out a cable.
Grease the ends as instructed and be mindful of the switch on the lever pivot point.
If you also use the (Barnett) clutch arm, then you will be rewarded with a little more advantage on the pull. Watch the angle for install.
Adjust for end play as usual and enjoy.

·
Silver member
4,933 Posts
FWIW... on my Vintage, the cable appears to be about 90* to the Barnett arm, and it's working for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Old cable out. Easy...
Cut it.....
Route the new cable (Barnett) outside the frame and secure with some extra tie-wraps.
Now if you get into trouble on the road somewhere, it will be so much easier to swap out a cable.
Grease the ends as instructed and be mindful of the switch on the lever pivot point.
If you also use the (Barnett) clutch arm, then you will be rewarded with a little more advantage on the pull. Watch the angle for install.
THIS is EXACTLY the way I installed my new Barnett when my old cable broke..... I cut the old cable to remove it quick and routed the new Barnett outside the frame, works a charm, 20 minute job..... Do not forget to Radius the clutch lever where it contacts the cable, this is where the cable gets broken.... I hear the factory is now making the clutch arm with a radius to save us the agony of cable failures.....

·
Registered
56 Posts
Old cable out. Easy...
Cut it.....
Interesting. Routing it outside the frame, your idea or per some instructions? Certainly easier, but unprotected (I don't know what from), is it long enough?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Interesting. Routing it outside the frame, your idea or per some instructions? Certainly easier, but unprotected (I don't know what from), is it long enough?
My Chieftain is with the Mid Rise bars, so my cable is longer than standard, I see no way anything could harm the cable without doing much worse damage to other parts of the bike. My thoughts are, running the cable through the frame, looks like only minimal protection of the cable at best and leaves the cable exposed too damage when using a floor lift to raise the bike..... just my two cents.... my cable replacement was a 20 minute job and did not require unbolting the frame.... just my two cents...

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2019 Roadmaster matte black and gray
3,097 Posts
I routed outside (under) the frame as well. It is long enough, and dosen't inhibit full turns. The frame would only protect about 4 inches worth of the cable. If something hits in that area hard enough to do any damage, there will be more catastrophic damage than just the cable, which would render any cable damage insignificant.

·
Registered
985 Posts
You may find someone to e-mail you a copy of the manual. I had one on my other laptop but it committed suicide. You can get a manual online. I did mine the right way and it wasn't too bad. I don't remember having to remove the headlight but I did loosen the frame bolts. Just remember to support the bottom of the engine when you do it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts