Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my Barnett clutch cable and noticed that the boot on the end of the OEM cable that goes to the clutch arm on the primary is not on the Barnett. My question before I change out is does that boot slide off and slide on the Barnett cable?
I like that little boot at the clutch arm because I live down a dirt gravel road and it prevents a lot of dirt and gravel dust from getting on the cable end since the clutch arm is facing down.
Thanks

·
Registered
363 Posts
When I changed mine I couldn't get the boot from the old cable to fit with the Barnett so I went sans boot. The cable was great with a smooth easy pull but I did the original routing so installation was a first class PITA.

·
Registered
366 Posts
TwoChiefs sans boot?
I swapped it out on my chief, you need to slit the boot from the original with a razor blade or similar then glue it back over the new one, make sure you do not glue it to the cable itself. I used super glue and its still in place almost 3 years later.

·
Registered
366 Posts
See below a guide I wrote in the Dark Horse Section on fitting the cable.

Fitting a new cable on the original route is not difficult just time consuming. You need to drop the nacelle forward to disconnect the cable clamps, then if you have one put the bike upright in a wheel clamp and place a jack under the motor, remove the foot board and disconnect the gear linkage, you then need to loosen off but not remove the frame member from the head stock and the engine, once you have backed off all the bolts about a half inch, pull the frame away from the engine. Disconnect the cable at both ends by loosening off the adjuster to give you enough slack, you can then slide it through the gap between the frame and the engine. You need to hold the cable in position between the frame and engine whilst you tighten the frame back into place otherwise it will simply drop out or you also risk crushing it if drops between the engine and frame. Worth taking some pictures of the routing of the original before you start. Connect it at the clutch end then feed the other end through the cable clamps on the frame and up through the nacelle where there is another clamp, then attach at the lever end. Adjust at the adjuster point where the cable runs down the frame. Reassemble everything else and job done. To be honest I would order a Barnett cable and use that as its much better quality and there are reports of a lot of Indian cables failing at low mileages, mine was frayed which is why I changed it. If you buy a Barnett please note it does not have the small rubber boot the the Indian cable has at the clutch end. You can carefully cut the rubber boot with a razor blade from the Indian item slip it over the Barnett cable and superglue it back together and it will work fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts