Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola everyone! So, as the title states, Im a baller on a budget! With that being said, I saw some slip ons on J&P Cycles that were only 30 bucks a pop. So, I figured, why not. I read a review of someone there who has a 17 Scout Sixty and said it fit perfect, so I pulled the trigger, with the wifes permission of course...They are called Universal Mounting Shorty Style Muffler Part# 4500055. What do I have to lose right? 60 bucks? Ive wasted more on money on dumber things....If any of yall have any experience with these, it sure would be awesomely helpful!!!! Thanks ahead of time....

·
Registered
14 Posts
I purchased a pair of shorties from Amazon about $30 each. "Emgo" is the company that makes em. Not sure if these are the same ones but I've seen them a few places. (As a side note emgo makes a set of universal turnouts that look exactly like licks turnouts...I think the picture is exactly the same.) They are advertised as "use either side 1 1/2 or 1 3/4". You can weld the 1 1/2 side direct it's a perfect fit to your 1 1/2 exhaust but I do not recall how if it meets flush with the shield . Or you can use the 1 3/4 side slip over your exhaust and some exhaust weld glue stuff that people use to fill the fairly large gap. You can't crush the slip on with a clamp the way you would with the stock muffler the metal is not tapered and cutting slits don't help. I refuse to disgrace my bike with that glue stuff and I didn't want to void my warranty with a weld so I returned them. Also the mounting brackets need a drill/grind to make them fit and look proper. AND if you choose to use the 1 3/4 side it doesn't slip on enough for the larger diameter of the slip on to meet your exhaust shield for a clean fit because of the baffle nut that gets in the way.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I purchased a pair of shorties from Amazon about $30 each. "Emgo" is the company that makes em. Not sure if these are the same ones but I've seen them a few places. (As a side note emgo makes a set of universal turnouts that look exactly like licks turnouts...I think the picture is exactly the same.) They are advertised as "use either side 1 1/2 or 1 3/4". You can weld the 1 1/2 side direct it's a perfect fit to your 1 1/2 exhaust but I do not recall how if it meets flush with the shield . Or you can use the 1 3/4 side slip over your exhaust and some exhaust weld glue stuff that people use to fill the fairly large gap. You can't crush the slip on with a clamp the way you would with the stock muffler the metal is not tapered and cutting slits don't help. I refuse to disgrace my bike with that glue stuff and I didn't want to void my warranty with a weld so I returned them. Also the mounting brackets need a drill/grind to make them fit and look proper. AND if you choose to use the 1 3/4 side it doesn't slip on enough for the larger diameter of the slip on to meet your exhaust shield for a clean fit because of the baffle nut that gets in the way.
Thanks for the input, I went on and put some cheapos from JP. they actually dont sound too bad...especially at 30 bucks each! lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
IMG_8504.JPG
IMG_8505.JPG
So I got the Universal Mounting Shorty Style Muffler | 4500055
They each have an arm attached that can be loosened. So I crossed one on top of the other and drilled a hole into them. Then I slid a bolt into it with that long washer thing that was holding on the oem ones. Pics to follow...they did come with a reducer of some sort which I just put aside and clamped the slide ons to the exhaust with the original clamps...I don't know if you guessed it, but I'm not very mechanically inclined. I haven't had any issues yet, but still gonna take it to make sure it doesn't have to be remapped...hope this helps in some way

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice man. I need some of these soon, I live in the city so a loud exhaust is imperative..
Yea they are, I live in San Antonio so I needed them. Loud enough to make a presence but not be overly annoying...I wish I could put a vid up to show y'all

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Ok upon further review, the only gap I see is between the clam and the oem part if the exhaust. But the slip on slid over the exhaust a pretty good amount and then I just tightened it down till it wouldn't tighten anymore, and then once more for good measure. I'll be taking it to the dealership shop though here next week to get it checked. I'll pat the 30 mins labor cost for them to hook it up to the machine and verify if it's ok...still beats 500 bucks for pipes! Here's the pics...now I'm stressed. Fml.

Attachments

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well it did have some slits cut and the end and end did sound as if crushing on. So I'm thinking it's good to go. I hope. Lol

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update...took the Sixty to the shop and it did need remapping. Got it taken care of and she's running great and sounding great! I can't say enough good things about Mission City Indian in Boerne. These cats are there awesome knowledgeable and top notch. Hell I even ended up buying that Thunderstroke Jacket. Will be rocking it when it's not 102 degrees tho. Lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Update...took the Sixty to the shop and it did need remapping. Got it taken care of and she's running great and sounding great! I can't say enough good things about Mission City Indian in Boerne. These cats are there awesome knowledgeable and top notch. Hell I even ended up buying that Thunderstroke Jacket. Will be rocking it when it's not 102 degrees tho. Lol
Good shit
I may go with licks slicker if I do I'll post here
People talk about riding all the gear all the time but it's not gonna happen in 95° stop and go city traffic

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good shit
I may go with licks slicker if I do I'll post here
People talk about riding all the gear all the time but it's not gonna happen in 95° stop and go city traffic
Hell yes man. Post up some pics when you get them. I liked theirs too. Maybe get some in a while. As far as gear goes, It really just mainly depends on mood, distance or location. I'm not the type of cat that criticizes those that do or don't wear it. I started off wearing gloves and my Army Blouse as a jacket, but that went out the window pretty fast. I only rock my helmet and Eyepro now. It's just too damn hot. I'll rock the jacket in the fall cuz let's be honest, there's no damn winter in Texas! At least not in San Antonio....And that jacket looks and feels pretty fuckin awesome.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts