Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Scout Community! I just got a Scout after selling my Triumph Storm and really enjoy the bike as it's exactly what I was looking for. The only issue is I need a bit of capacity to carry items on longer rides as the OEM saddlebags are a bit limited in volume. Can anyone recommend a good luggage rack bag? I have read a lot on the forum and see that Leatherworks and BossBags come highly recommended, but I am hoping to get away with something a BIT less costly if possible? I am looking for the brown Indian leather match so I may be limited to those two (and they are really nice!) but thought to ask before spending a lot of hard earned cash! Thanks so much - happy to be part of the Scout group.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you're set on a leather bag, then I'd go with the Leatherworks. Really nice stuff, I have one of their handlebar bags, can't go wrong. If you have a passenger seat installed, then you're probably going to be limited to one of the typical sissy-bar bags.

My bike is set up for solo and I couldn't justify that kind of money for a luggage rack bag. Plus, I actually didn't want leather. I much prefer to strap a waterproof duffel bag across the luggage rack and top of the saddlebags when I'm touring. I have the tan leather on my bike, but I use a black duffel bag. It's okay because the bag matches the black jacket I always wear!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Depends on what you plan on doing with it. If you're set on a leather bag, then I'd go with the Leatherworks. Really nice stuff, I have one of their handlebar bags, can't go wrong. If you have a passenger seat installed, then you're probably going to be limited to one of the typical sissy-bar bags.

My bike is set up for solo and I couldn't justify that kind of money for a luggage rack bag. Plus, I actually didn't want leather. I much prefer to strap a waterproof duffel bag across the luggage rack and top of the saddlebags when I'm touring. I have the tan leather on my bike, but I use a black duffel bag. It's okay because the bag matches the black jacket I always wear!
Many thanks for the reply and advice - really appreciate it! Curious... did you choose to avoid the leather as it will get ruined in inclement weather? Are there covers that would protect it? Is the leather hard to care for and make sure it looks good for the long haul? I bought a scout with a few miles on it and it came with the Indian saddlebags...am a bit worried about their longevity and how to ensure they look and function well. Any tips on that and on any pros/cons to what amounts to an expensive tail bag would be most welcome! Thanks again

·
Registered
332 Posts
The Leatherworks Indian Tan is made from the exact same leather that Indian uses. That said, it's a real thin leather not really stiff, so they do an "overlay", essentially a bag made of thick structural leather, covered with the Indian leather on the outside. That leather is treated with a UV protectant so it shouldn't fade. I haven't had issues with fading or care. I use Skidmore's leather cream and waterproofer on all my leather (saddlebags, handlebar bag, lever wraps) and it works well, no issues in any rain I've been in.

I think it depends on what you plan to do with the bike and what kind of culture you're into. If you're just doing day trips and bike meets, and a uniform appearance is the most important thing, then one of those leather bags is the way to go. Also if you're a studs and fringe, chain wallet type then leather is the only way. Me, I ride an Indian because it's middle ground between the HD and BMW lifestyles, I like classic looks and modern tech. That said, I can fit my rain gear, tools, and a six pack in my saddlebags, and I only need additional storage if I'm going somewhere overnight or on a trip. I find the overlay-leather bags to be stiff and very expensive for something that's not 100% waterproof, and because they are stiff and take up the whole luggage rack, they limit how you can pack for a trip.

I've gone up to two weeks on the road, so I much prefer a modular packing concept. My "base" is a tactical-style duffel with MOLLE-type webbing on the sides. Then, depending on what I need to take with me (or buy to bring back), I can lash a dry sack to the sides of the bag, roll up a jacket and cinch it down on top, etc. A prime example is a cover for the bike. It packs bulky and will take up a lot of space in your bag, so better to put it in a sack and strap it to the side of your main bag. This also allows me to rearrange my packing on the fly. Last year I bought a bottle of liquor and wanted to bring it home on the bike vs shipping it, so I relocated my saddlebag contents into a dry sack so my booze could be nice and secure alone in the saddlebag. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Many thanks for the response - good food for thought. I too fall in the same spectrum of rider and style - have had several BMW and loved them for what they were but liked the traditional look of the cruiser as I’ve gotten a bit older so traded for a Triumph and now have the Scout. While I like the look of the leatherwork bag the cost IS high and I may eventually get one but for now I think I’ll stick with something practical if less attractive. Essentially I need a bag that will be able to take enough stuff for a three night trip and is of solid quality. I’ll hunt about - you solved my dilemma of whether or not to get the expensive leather bag. Many thanks for the help!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts