Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, after looking at a thousand places and trying to weld the baffles to the inside of the exhaust, just figure out... why not install them on the header... I supposed since little or no info found this might be useful to newbies like around the blog... been in here for a few months a never posted anything.

I have emgo exhaust, it comes to be the same as Khrome Werks, at less than half price, I paint them and baked them at home.

The result: the sound way louder than the OEM, but definitely not obnoxious any more, I use to ride and get back to the house with my ear rumbling (and like it low)

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
UH Wait!

Loud pipes save lives, if they don't see you at least they can hear you coming.

It is a known fact that while riding a motorcycle with an open faced helmet your ears are subject to 100 DB while riding. It is recommended that hearing protection is worn to prevent hearing loss. In some states this protection is illegal.

A full face helmet will help with noise reduction.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Those are 4 inches baffles, 1 3/4 diameter, bought them on amazon for 9 dollars each, then wrapped them on fiberglass cloth, and place a wire to safe keep the wrap, also on amazon for about 11 dollars, and don’t get me wrong, they are still loud, but they were obnoxious before. Good thing is if you want to run super loud, it takes 5 minutes to remove them back, because of not been welded.

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello Lockward - I'm actually looking to do pretty much the same - to dampen the soud on a pair of Xchopper Turnouts (love the looks - just abet too loud). Are the baffles made to insert into the OD 1 3/4 headers (inside diameter @ 1 5/8?) Did you drill a hole into the back of headers to use the baffles bolts or what exactly? Appears the fit was tight? What type of wire should one use given the heat factor? What about changes in performance with increased back pressure - any comments? I've also looked & considered Big City Thunder Monster baffles designed to install into the header as well as PowerBraids braided flex baffles- though frankly both are abet costly & I'm unsure of end result. Any addtional insight you could provide would be much appreciated. Thanks DrifterH66

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The baffles are made to fit inside the headers outlet with no mods... no need to drill or anything, once you you get the clamps tightened, the baffles will be hold in, you might wanna get a rubber mallet to push them in if your are packing them like I haved with fiber cloth (shown in the pics), if not, they will fit by pushing them with your hands, those will fit in flush, so the pressure made by the clamps will be more than good. (I rev up a lot and they don’t even vibrate)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks Lockward appreciated - that sounds perfect, least for an intial try. Can you tell me what type of wire you used for the wrap? Does it last awhile & how much quetier over the 'stock' emgo mufflers would you say?
Thanks again for feedback, think I'll need to pursue this and I'll let you & others know how it turns out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I used Galvanized wire from Home Depot, was like 3 bucks on the Home Depot. OEM exhaust I will say is a 3 out 10 on loudness and EMGO is 10 and half out 10, after baffles while in idle it will be 6 while running 7 or 8, even if the packing burns they will still way quieter than stock... your ears will thank you... the thing I appreacite the most in mine regarding noise, is the high windshield, for me, wind sometimes is worst than the exhaust due to speeds in a Florida

·
Bronze member
1,875 Posts
took the baffles (mesh fiberglass) left the metal in, from my Freedom true duals. Stage 2 Roadmaster, made it too loud at times, ok others. I bought baffle material off Amazon, just haven't put back in yet. Can't decide what or how much I want back in. I love the rumble, cams and tune etc, but if I start going on longer rides or trips I think it will get old being loud. I can still hear the 6 speakers fine at volume 2-4, but it all adds up to noise after longer rides........decisions, decisions

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
took the baffles (mesh fiberglass) left the metal in, from my Freedom true duals. Stage 2 Roadmaster, made it too loud at times, ok others. I bought baffle material off Amazon, just haven't put back in yet. Can't decide what or how much I want back in. I love the rumble, cams and tune etc, but if I start going on longer rides or trips I think it will get old being loud. I can still hear the 6 speakers fine at volume 2-4, but it all adds up to noise after longer rides........decisions, decisions
That was my main reason to put baffles, short city rides I loved the loudness, more than 15 minutes 20 minutes and my ears be ringing... regarding the wrap just single wrap, overlap just about half inch or so.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Umm, Ya'll do realize that by putting these baffles in the head pipes you are creating much more restriction to the exhaust flow than the original mufflers with cats ever presented, don't you? You are taking your 1 3/4" pipes and installing a plug in them with a hole that is just a little over 1" in diameter. It has to be killing your performance.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Those are way less restrictive than OEM, if you pull the baffle (or complete core) from the OEM your will realize how restrictive they are, remember that the cat on the scout is located on the muffler not the header, and the factory baffle is like 12 inches, so basically baffle is way shorter and there’s not cat, main thing to look at without going into crazy numbers and in and outs, even engine temperature works a few degrees lower because of less hot air pressure throughout te exhaust system.
Ps; at high speed also revs up better due to less restriction. One thing to consider, I’m in Florida (we don’t have inspection) must of those slip ons, or catless exhaust won’t pass an inspection. So OEM exhaust might want to be kept to switch over during inspection time.

·
Bronze member
1,875 Posts
In my case mine would go back in my exhaust pipes where they came out of for my roadmaster. If and when I decide to put some back in there

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Those are way less restrictive than OEM, if you pull the baffle (or complete core) from the OEM your will realize how restrictive they are, remember that the cat on the scout is located on the muffler not the header, and the factory baffle is like 12 inches, so basically baffle is way shorter and there’s not cat, main thing to look at without going into crazy numbers and in and outs, even engine temperature works a few degrees lower because of less hot air pressure throughout te exhaust system.
Ps; at high speed also revs up better due to less restriction. One thing to consider, I’m in Florida (we don’t have inspection) must of those slip ons, or catless exhaust won’t pass an inspection. So OEM exhaust might want to be kept to switch over during inspection time.
Nope, no way that those have less restriction than the cat equipped stock mufflers. No way. You're taking a 1.75 inch pipe, and sticking a plug in it with a much smaller opening. IF you weren't wrapping the baffle with insulation and blocking off the cuts in the sides of it, you would be close to the same area for exhaust flow, as that is how the baffles are designed. By forcing the exhaust to take different paths it breaks up the sound waves a bit and quiets the exhaust "a little". Wrapping the baffle like you're doing is blocking off a significant portion of the exhaust flow. You don't have to believe me, it won't change the facts at all. Oh, BTW, the factory baffle being longer means that it has more openings in the side of it and less restriction than the short one, also it is in a larger can, not stuck up inside the head pipe. One other thing, you stated that "engine temperature works a few degrees lower because of less hot air pressure throughout the exhaust system". That statement makes absolutely no sense at all, "hot air pressure" in the exhaust system doesn't affect engine temp. More restrictive exhaust can indeed cause lower engine temps by not allowing full scavenging of the exhaust gas from the cylinder thereby preventing maximum fresh fuel/air charge filling on the intake stroke.

But, whatever works for you. I just don't like reading conjecture stated as factual information. Too many people that don't know better will take it as established fact and follow suit. There's too much misinformation out there already about all this stuff.

·
Rider
574 Posts
Here’s my shtick on exhaust for what it’s worth. There’s so much more to an exhaust system aside from sound. You can’t just go doing things to it simply based on sound and get good results all around. If you get lucky all of the stars are aligned and you get the sound you want and everything remains constant. Chances are this won’t happen. A properly engineered exhaust system scavenges the right amount, has the right amount of back pressure for low end and has enough flow for solid top end. These things typically don’t come together too well with Amazon guesswork. Just my $.02

·
Founding Member
1,949 Posts
so, after looking at a thousand places and trying to weld the baffles to the inside of the exhaust, just figure out... why not install them on the header... I supposed since little or no info found this might be useful to newbies like around the blog... been in here for a few months a never posted anything.

I have emgo exhaust, it comes to be the same as Khrome Werks, at less than half price, I paint them and baked them at home.

The result: the sound way louder than the OEM, but definitely not obnoxious any more, I use to ride and get back to the house with my ear rumbling (and like it low)
It is a really bad idea to put baffles in your headers, not the least of which is that it will probably void your warranty if put to the test, but mostly because it will likely overheat your engine, and will definitely rob performance. It is simply NOT done for many reasons. Baffles go at the extreme end of the cans, just before the gases exit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts