Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
E41691C3-6310-4402-BC7E-980F00BAB450.jpeg
Can anyone give me troubleshooting advice on the badlands rear tail light Illuminator module for 111 models?
I have a 2016 roadmaster and I also purchased the rear RED led light lenses to go with the module.
After install I have no turn lights, nor do the turns stay on the new run mode, but the main tail light and the kuryaken bag lights work.
Attached are some pics of the failed installation.

Attachments

·
Rider
755 Posts
did you get this sorted out? I put the module and lights in my 16 dark horse and I remember having to wire the in a way that seemed backwards. Luckily I spun them together and tested first but it worked like a charm.

·
Registered
60 Posts
did you get this sorted out? I put the module and lights in my 16 dark horse and I remember having to wire the in a way that seemed backwards. Luckily I spun them together and tested first but it worked like a charm.
Can you post a pic of how it looks like with the lights and how you wired it

·
Registered
231 Posts
View attachment 432616 Can anyone give me troubleshooting advice on the badlands rear tail light Illuminator module for 111 models?
I have a 2016 roadmaster and I also purchased the rear RED led light lenses to go with the module.
After install I have no turn lights, nor do the turns stay on the new run mode, but the main tail light and the kuryaken bag lights work.
Attached are some pics of the failed installation.
Have you found a solution yet?

I tried to install my kit yesterday and ran into the exact same problem. Without the Badlands module the red LEDs work like a charm and bright like a star (even if only as turn signals).

Also running a '16 Roadmaster.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You bet.
Be sure to pull the main fuse or disconnect battery first.
Look at my above pictures.
Reverse the wires in the new turn signal light.
So the black wire coming from the bike connects to the new turn signal lights red and orange.
Then the red wire coming from the bike connects to the new turn signal lights black wire.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
True the black to red/orange
And red to black.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have you found a solution yet?

I tried to install my kit yesterday and ran into the exact same problem. Without the Badlands module the red LEDs work like a charm and bright like a star (even if only as turn signals).

Also running a '16 Roadmaster.
Yes
Reverse the wires , black to red/orange
Red to black

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes
Red to black
Wow...

That will be a complete PITA for me... LOL.

Imagine that after 45 minutes "fighting" with the stock short wires and the provided conectors, I gave up and soldered the wires.

Well, now at least I have a longer wiring and it will be easier to make the thing easily "reversible" if I ever need to take out the module (if it has any problems for example). If I reverse the wires in the turn signal and end up having any issues with the module, I would have to "dis-reverse" the wiring in the turn signals in order to make them work again (without the module).

I wonder if maybe it would be easier, instead of reversing the wires directly in the turn signals (which would make them unusable in the event I might have to take the module out if it ends up malfunctioning) , maybe switching some pins in the module harness itself.

I´ll look into it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow...

That will be a complete PITA for me... LOL.

Imagine that after 45 minutes "fighting" with the stock short wires and the provided conectors, I gave up and soldered the wires.

Well, now at least I have a longer wiring and it will be easier to make the thing easily "reversible" if I ever need to take out the module (if it has any problems for example). If I reverse the wires in the turn signal and end up having any issues with the module, I would have to "dis-reverse" the wiring in the turn signals in order to make them work again (without the module).

I wonder if maybe it would be easier, instead of reversing the wires directly in the turn signals (which would make them unusable in the event I might have to take the module out if it ends up malfunctioning) , maybe switching some pins in the module harness itself.

I´ll look into it.
I never thought of switching pins.
I chuckled about the short wires, because I had forgotten how frustrating that was for me too. They couldn’t possibly be any shorter. Talk about maximizing your profits right?
Lol.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I never thought of switching pins.
I chuckled about the short wires, because I had forgotten how frustrating that was for me too. They couldn’t possibly be any shorter. Talk about maximizing your profits right?
Lol.
after reading the (entire) topic about the custom dynamics turn signals and understanding the "peculiarities" of Indian Motorcycle electric systems, I think that there´s a (slight) chance my turn signals will work (even without the module) if I reverse the polarity. Probably the board circuitry on the turn signals already considers that possibility. I´ll test it out tomorrow morning and I´ll let you know.

But those short wires... man, what a PITA. And that is because I cut the wiring virtually on the stock signals board.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes
Red to black

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

this need to reverse the turn signal polarity is something weird. It doesn´t work reversed without the module, but it do with the module.

I didn´t mess around with the module harness. I did something that would make it easier for me to "unreverse" the turn signals if I ever need to. I added a few inches of wiring to the stock wiring (to make everything easy to work with LOL) and connected the turn signals to the "new" wiring using blade connectors, then I shrink wrapped everything. If I ever have any trouble with the module all I need to do is to cut the shrink wrap, reverse the plugs and rewrap it again.

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
It seems you could go with the Custom Dynamics set-up and accomplish the same thing and it would be simple plug and play, albeit it would cost a bit more...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

this need to reverse the turn signal polarity is something weird. It doesn´t work reversed without the module, but it do with the module.

I didn´t mess around with the module harness. I did something that would make it easier for me to "unreverse" the turn signals if I ever need to. I added a few inches of wiring to the stock wiring (to make everything easy to work with LOL) and connected the turn signals to the "new" wiring using blade connectors, then I shrink wrapped everything. If I ever have any trouble with the module all I need to do is to cut the shrink wrap, reverse the plugs and rewrap it again.
Oh cool deal!

·
Silver member
5,038 Posts
I like visor style rings too, but these don't look too bad either. Yes, the picture quality sucks on the CD site.

Currently mine is all stock except I added the Supra Brake 3 modulator so the taillight pulses. But I have been researching and watching the LED headlight/taillight to figure out where I want to go with mine for better overall lighting. So this thread is interesting to me...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
For me, it all started with the fact that the turn signals are dead when braking and not turning.
That’s two extra lights already on my bike I’d like to illuminate to make me more visible.
Now I need to mod the front turn signals so they illuminate even without the signal activated. Isn’t it odd that from right the factory these 4 turn signals don’t have an on mode when you turn on headlights??
The Flagship bike no less?

·
Registered
231 Posts
For me, it all started with the fact that the turn signals are dead when braking and not turning.
That’s two extra lights already on my bike I’d like to illuminate to make me more visible.
Now I need to mod the front turn signals so they illuminate even without the signal activated. Isn’t it odd that from right the factory these 4 turn signals don’t have an on mode when you turn on headlights??
The Flagship bike no less?
There's a Badlands module for the front as well. I installed it on mine. There's a catch, though. As it is meant to be plugged on switched Power, the front hazard lights won't work when the ignition is off. I think its circuitry should have some kind of bypass in order to keep them blinking even with Power off (because, basically, that's when you need to use hazard lights in fact LOL)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There's a Badlands module for the front as well. I installed it on mine. There's a catch, though. As it is meant to be plugged on switched Power, the front hazard lights won't work when the ignition is off. I think its circuitry should have some kind of bypass in order to keep them blinking even with Power off (because, basically, that's when you need to use hazard lights in fact LOL)
So very odd of an oversight for Indian. I definitely will get the front then, because the badlands rear has been problem free.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts