Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I decided to go to Sturgis this year and glad I did. My round trip was 3,640 miles. My starter has been acting up for about 3 yrs after I had the stage 2 cams added. It would pause and only do like half if the turn over and it would throw a code out there. Then when you'd hit the start again it would start right up. I thought maybe the battery wasn't strong enough so I replaced that too. Still didn't fix the issue. So anyways after doing the rally and started my journey back home to washington. I got to basin wyoming just about 60 miles from Cody wyoming. I stopped for gas and when I went to start it up it wouldn't turn over. Another fellow indian rider and harley Rider pulled up and they helped give me a push. It started right up. Then I met up with my friends in Cody and we ended up push starting it the rest of the 1,000 miles. I checked with the dealerships in Idaho but no one had a starter in stock. As I was on my way back home my cruise control kept shutting off because the gear indicator kept showing I was in neutral when I was actually in 6th gear. Then down shifting it was showing the wrong gear. After getting home I called my local indian shops and none of them had a starter in stock and one said it would take a week to get. So I decided to order one online through Indian only motorcycle. They had a heavy duty starter so I ordered that on Saturday and got it Wednesday. I got it switched out and it starts now like it never has. My 2014 chieftain is running better than it has in a long time. I've only had it on for a day but so far so good.

·
Registered
409 Posts
100K club member. Nice!
Too bad nobody keeps a starter on hand, but maybe a good thing, because then you ended up with the heavy duty one. Hopefully it works out well for the next 100K miles.

If the dealer in Idaho you stopped by was the one in Idaho Falls, that my IMRG dealer.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
100K club member. Nice!
Too bad nobody keeps a strater on hand, but maybe a good thing, because then you ended up with the heavy duty one. Hopefully it works out well for the next 100K miles.

If the dealer in Idaho you stopped by was the one in Idaho Falls, that my IMRG dealer.
View attachment 602336
No I called them and they didn't have one. I really like the eagle rock dealership. I came and did the tin cup rally a couple of years ago. 9 of us from the Auburn imrg chapter came for that. What a stand up dealership. And we came last year where we brought 15 indian rider's. We ended up getting snowed on when we left jackson hole. Great times and great people.

·
Founding member
1,110 Posts
Replaced my starter under warrenty. Same symptons as you.

Before I changed the starter I also thought it was the battery.New battery didn't help.

After my 3rd Indian voltage regulater failed I got a made in USA unit from Dennis Kirk.

Now,no more problems. Indian uses many Chinese parts. Quality control on these parts is sketchy!

But the good news is the bikes are fixed.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't here but i have heard all about the snowfall on the way back from Jackson last year. Brrrr! I bet heated seats and grips cam in handy that day.
Yeah those would have been nice to have but I survived. Lol
We encountered all types of weather on our ride there and our ride back. Going to the rally the first year we got stuck behind a cattle drive for about two miles. Words of advice don't get off your bike to take pictures. Oh the cow shit was no joke. It was pretty cool seeing the cowboys doing it old school.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
Fantastic news that you fixed the bike. 91f omg. Hot
I will keep this in mind for my 2014 if it ever happens.
Never get stuck behind a semi hauling animals to the slaughter house. Man that is not rain..... Hitting you....

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fantastic news that you fixed the bike. 91f omg. Hot
I will keep this in mind for my 2014 if it ever happens.
Never get stuck behind a semi hauling animals to the slaughter house. Man that is not rain..... Hitting you....
Oh my God that sounds horrific! Ew

·
Registered
409 Posts
Funny story. I was doing a Bun Burner 1500 last year and it was about 90 degrees. Headed down the freeway at around the 1300 mile mark, i started feeling some sprinkles, not too much, just a bit. It was hot out, and the sprinkles felt kind of nice. That far into the ride my mind wasnt as sharp as ever, and it took me a few seconds to make the correlation that there isn't a cloud in the sky, so that cant be rain, and it was more than one or two sprinkles so it cant be bugs splattering on my mirrors. So i look around and about 75 ft ahead of us in the other lane, headed the same direction, was a septic pump truck with the manhole lid at the top not on tight and flapping in the wind. I didnt care if there was any 5-0 around, i hit 95 mph real fast to get ahead of that truck.

·
Bronze Member
1,818 Posts
The county south of where I live is supposed to have the highest concentration of cattle feed yards in the country. Supposedly, there are more cattle than humans. Those cattle trucks are everywhere. (s**t haulers as I call them) Word of warning: never pull up next to one at a stop light. One time we had a lady in a convertible in front of us pull up next to one at a red light and a yellow stream shot out of one of the inspection slots right into the back seat of the convertible. The lady in the convertible was pinned in and didn't know what to do. My wife and I laughed so hard we had tears running down our faces.

Another thing that you have to watch out for are the irrigation pivots. Sometimes, they use them to pump the liquid out of the cattle yard sewage lagoons onto the fields.

·
Premium Member
1,290 Posts
The county south of where I live is supposed to have the highest concentration of cattle feed yards in the country. Supposedly, there are more cattle than humans. Those cattle trucks are everywhere. (s**t haulers as I call them) Word of warning: never pull up next to one at a stop light. One time we had a lady in a convertible in front of us pull up next to one at a red light and a yellow stream shot out of one of the inspection slots right into the back seat of the convertible. The lady in the convertible was pinned in and didn't know what to do. My wife and I laughed so hard we had tears running down our faces.

Another thing that you have to watch out for are the irrigation pivots. Sometimes, they use them to pump the liquid out of the cattle yard sewage lagoons onto the fields.
Lmfao

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
How is this starter holding up? Was it pretty easy to replace as I cannot see any online instructions?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts