Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue. I recently purchased a 2015 Chief Classic from an Indian dealer. It has 20,556 miles and was in amazing condition. The dealership charged an additional $782 for a complete mechanical inspection and servicing. That was expected and an understood part of the transaction.
The dealership is two hours from home through heavy traffic, so I played it safe and trailered it home. After a few rides I noticed that the odometer hadn't moved. Still on 20,556 which was the listed and stated mileage. Speedometer and other instruments work properly. I called the dealer and they are efforting to find a solution. They want me to bring the bike back in, which would involve a trip to drop it off, a trip to pick it up, 300 miles driving and two trailer rentals. When it's obviously their mistake and omission, I don't feel very inclined to start jumping through hoops.
They have been cordial thus far. But the legal ramifications of this episode could get serious.
If anyone could help with insight or personal experience I'd appreciate it. Lots of question are yet to be answered as this unfolds.
Is there a "chip" on these bikes that stores the actual mileage so that when an odometer is swapped out it reads correct?
I'll keep you up to date

·
Registered
52 Posts
Yes, there are multiple spots in the memory of multiple computers on the bike that store the mileage because it is legally required to be correct. Never seen the issue where mileage isn't adding up correctly. Is the speed on the speedometer reporting correctly as you drive?

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
Founding member
1,132 Posts
If you search this forum I believe you will find another story about a bad odometer.... Similar story too, purchased used bike from a dealer not located close. I would be curious to know if this is the same dealer...? I'll search for the other story and try to link it back here. The obvious question is: did they commit some type of hanky panky in an attempt to get more money out of a used bike.

·
Founding member
1,132 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
The mileage is also stored in the ECM and there is a whole procedure built into digital wrench for replacing a speedometer so that the correct information gets swapped to the new speedometer. That would probably be the first step.

Quick edit: I haven't read through all of that old thread that got linked but they're is some subtle wrong information being thrown around based on confusion between RAM and ROM and how memory gets allocated and used in these different modules on the bike. I could go into more detail but to stick to the OP of this threads issue, I would wager either a speedometer or ECM got swapped at some point incorrectly. More likely speedometer but that is just a guess without looking at the bike directly. Either way it is going to have to go back to the dealer to get it fully resolved.

·
Rider
1,221 Posts
I'm not sure what is or is not in the ECM, but I do know that swapping out the speedo will change your mileage permanently. That's why I just had my 35K service even though my odo only has 28K on it.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet that you'll need (end up getting) a new instrument cluster.

BD

·
Registered
2012 Indian Chief Vintage . 2016 Indian Roadmaster
564 Posts
I hope it works out for you. In NC it is a felony to tamper with an odometer.

·
Bronze member
5,083 Posts
First up, do Trip 1 and Trip 2 work?

The odometer value is stored in the speedo itself. The post above that says there are multiple places it's stored in multiple computers on the bike is the first I've heard of such a thing.

My Scout speedo failed at about 5,000 kms and had to be replaced under warranty. The service manager said there was no way they could adjust the new one to match the existing odometer. All they could do was note the change in their service records. There are several threads dealing with a failed speedo on the forum with the same result, replace and restart from zero. When I sold the Scout, passing on the lost odometer info was part of the deal.

It sounds like your speedo has failed and I'd guess a new speedo is the best/cheapest fix. They cost $205. Unfortunately, that will bring you back to zero on the odometer.

I'd suggest negotiating with the dealer so you can ride the bike there and have them replace it. No trailer necessary. No lost time waiting for the bike.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The trip 1 and 2 odometers are both non functioning as well. The ABS light is always on. Indian mechanic thinks it the wheel speed sensor. We're going to start there. The shop is on the other side of DFW metroplex and I'd rather crawl there than ride a bike there. Trailer it is.
I've only had the bike for 4 days, the dealership is being very accommodating thus far........ we'll hope it continues.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My clock is always frozen ,it tells what time it is when you start the bike but never tracks time, no one and the dealer can't figure it out, I learned to live with it, I look at my phone to see the time and I look at my clock to see what time my ride started, I'll live with that if I get it fixed some day something else will go wrong,hope you fix the odometer issue, somewhat similar to my clock.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
My clock is always frozen ,it tells what time it is when you start the bike but never tracks time, no one and the dealer can't figure it out, I learned to live with it, I look at my phone to see the time and I look at my clock to see what time my ride started, I'll live with that if I get it fixed some day something else will go wrong,hope you fix the odometer issue, somewhat similar to my clock.

What year is your bike?

·
Registered
52 Posts
2018 Roadmaster

Ok. I believe it is still the case but the RTC (real time clock) is in the VCM. But the Roadmaster should have RideCommand so there should be a setting to use GPS time. Do you know if that is on? I would try that otherwise the other option is if you haven't had the gear position recall yet, they perform a VCM update and that might get the RTC going again.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ok. I believe it is still the case but the RTC (real time clock) is in the VCM. But the Roadmaster should have RideCommand so there should be a setting to use GPS time. Do you know if that is on? I would try that otherwise the other option is if you haven't had the gear position recall yet, they perform a VCM update and that might get the RTC going again.

Lol well we went through all that GPS and real time it still does the same thing and even now after the new gear position sensor recall and had it rebooted with all the new updates and nine yards its still the same, its been like that since I got it so I learned to live with it,but indian did give me a beautiful watch after I purchased the bike lol.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Lol well we went through all that GPS and real time it still does the same thing and even now after the new gear position sensor recall and had it rebooted with all the new updates and nine yards its still the same, its been like that since I got it so I learned to live with it,but indian did give me a beautiful watch after I purchased the bike lol.

Interesting, sorry to hear all that. My guess is you have a bad VCM but the only thing it is effecting is the RTC. If it doesn't bother you than good on you. It would be interesting to know if a VCM swap would fix it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Interesting, sorry to hear all that. My guess is you have a bad VCM but the only thing it is effecting is the RTC. If it doesn't bother you than good on you. It would be interesting to know if a VCM swap would fix it.

Ya maybe but call me superstitious, sometimes I feel if I ever do figure it out I'd correct it and something worse would go wrong so this one bad isn't so bad I guess

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Don't be surprised to find out your actual mileage on your bike is much higher than you thought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That thought has crossed my mind. The dealership has been very easy to work with so far. I'm going to make sure that the ecm gets read and we have the actual mileage before we leave, if it is way out of wack, monetary adjustment will be made. You would think that they would work with a customer and do what's right. If not, I have lawyers to call.

·
Bronze member
1,918 Posts
JMHO but since you paid to have the bike checked out before delivery I would insist that the dealer come to you and pick it up. Should not be on your dime to make another round trip. If the dealer refuses then call PI CS and keep going up the chain until they step up.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts