Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend on his Roadking and me on Indian RM headed for Branson Mo. from east central Illinois 500 mile away. About 50 miles from Branson we stopped for gas. Arrived and parked bikes. Next day got on bikes and at first stop light buddies bike quit. He restarted and we went to next light and it stopped. Restarted and had to keep idle above 2,500rpm. Rode about 50 miles, parked and then we worried wondering wtf could be wrong. Two days later(used Uber in Branson which was original plan) ready to head home and my bike did same leaving garage. Both of us actually smiled because we then knew it was bad gas. We went down the main drag of Branson holding idle at 2,500-3000rpm getting dirty looks from everyone. Once we got to interstate we waited until tanks were 1/2 down, refilled and bikes purred from then on.

I've had a lot of strange things happen during trips, but I was sure glad it happen to someone else also so that we knew wtf was going on !!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
That sucks. I was in Missouri a few years ago with a Duramax pick up. Stopped for fuel in a small town. I ran in side to use he rest room. A friend of mine filled it up. We made it about a half mile and it quit. We were pulling a trailer . A policeman stopped shortly after it stalled. He asked if we just got fuel at such and such station. Yep . The officer said he has the wrong color on his pump handles this happens all the time you filled up with gas. But no problem the owner will tow you back, pump out the gas,change your fuel filter for a fee. Officer said nothing he could do because it was not illegal even though it was most definitely wrong. So almost $ 500 later and 3 hours later we were on our way. If I could remember the town or name of the station I would print it in capital letters.

·
Rider
513 Posts
There must be something about Missouri and bad gas. I have only fueled up with bad gas once in my life and that was when I was traveling from Texas to Iowa about 30 years ago. It was in the dead of winter when I stopped to get gas in St. Joseph. I remember a tanker was filling the tanks and I knew not to gas when they do that, but my tank was nearly empty and I was getting off the interstate. I filled up and within about 10 miles, my car had no power and struggled just to run. Fortunately, I was able to keep the car running to the next town. I dumped a couple of bottles of HEET fuel additive in the tank, and within several miles of driving the engine came back to life and then some. In fact it ran incredible. At times I considered just adding some HEET to a tank of good gas just to see if I could get some performance increase like I recalled back then.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
That sucks. I was in Missouri a few years ago with a Duramax pick up. Stopped for fuel in a small town. I ran in side to use he rest room. A friend of mine filled it up. We made it about a half mile and it quit. We were pulling a trailer . A policeman stopped shortly after it stalled. He asked if we just got fuel at such and such station. Yep . The officer said he has the wrong color on his pump handles this happens all the time you filled up with gas. But no problem the owner will tow you back, pump out the gas,change your fuel filter for a fee. Officer said nothing he could do because it was not illegal even though it was most definitely wrong. So almost $ 500 later and 3 hours later we were on our way. If I could remember the town or name of the station I would print it in capital letters.
That sounds like a scam in action, especially with you being charged to change the fuel filter.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
So was he selling diesel from a pump with a black handle?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
something like that happen a month ago in town. a gas station was going under nobody was buying gas just going inside the store. they drop price more than 15 cents a gallon. many got cars stuck. called local news station who called dept to check it out. i guess they got wind of it. flushed it out or something. a month gone by an nobody has pulled into the station.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have lived in SW Missouri for 20 years since moving from Southern California in 1999 and I have never pumped bad gas or diesel from any Fuel station in that time. I always buy my fuel @ high volume dealers as a matter of course.

I did pump gas once into my Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins diesel pickup because a STUPID BP station in New Mexico, off Interstate 40, uses all GREEN plastic covered nozzles for gas and diesel: 10 miles later I had to be towed in to a Dodge dealer and had the tank completely drained and a new fuel filter installed and I was on my way:)

Sam:)

·
Registered
449 Posts
Don’t feel bad, I have done the same thing. BP is known for green on their gas handles.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The gas station was running a scam. I'm a little smarter now so hopefully I won't fall for that one again.

Reactions: PORKIE

·
Bronze member
1,794 Posts
Different situation there’s a gas station I go to most of the time and I thought my gas mileage was going down too much.
On the next refill I noticed the price of premium gas was same as regular. I checked the bank statement for the cost previously and I knew how much gas was put in, same thing that time.
I never asked anyone there about it I just went to the station across the street for a while and when I finally went back to that one the premium price was back up again.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,040 Posts
I have lived in MO since 2001. Never have gotten a bad load of fuel. Small town gas stations that have above ground tanks get me a bit concerned with the amount of condensation that can occur each night so I try to avoid them most of the time but the only bad batch of fuel I have had was once in Illinois I got a bad load of bio diesel that loaded up my fuel filter but that is about it. I travel a bunch of back roads in MO mostly traveling with my wife searching for wineries and microbreweries and such. Never got bad gas. With that being said, most MO fuel will have ethanol unless you get 93 premium. That is 100% gas. Dean

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I lived in Missouri most of my life. It gave me nothing but bad gas.

·
Registered
448 Posts
"Caseys" fuel stops in Mo have alcohol free 93.. I pay $3.01 a gallon at my local station
Bob, Are you on an Indian now? Good to see you on the forum. I hope to be in town to do Ron's mission next week.
Dave V.

Oh, to stay on topic, my wife swears the gas at the Road Ranger in St. Roberts is bad.

Reactions: Racepres

·
Bronze member
2,829 Posts
Here is a story that happened a few years back,I'm not saying this is your bad gas problem.epa has targeted paint shops for their used thinner.disposal cost went through the roof.thinner reclaim units are expensive and you still have to dispose of some if not all.so if you can find a station owner that's not on the level,and you can dump filtered thinner into his tanks to be blended in,he can sell your thinner that he got for free to you.not that anything like that would happen in your town.

·
Bronze member
1,132 Posts
Bad gas can happen anywhere. I try to top off the tank of anything I’m driving at the half. This almost insures never getting more than a half tank of skunk fuel. Running to reserve is something I use to do, I also use to work 12 hour shifts that could go 24 hours in problematic times with only a few coffees. I don’t work like that anymore and I’m not ever going to treat riding like work.
Stretch often and enjoy the day.

·
3,040 Posts
I had premium. Don't remember if that particular pump said ethanol free though.
In MO you will not see labels that show 93 is 100% gas. Dean

·
3,040 Posts
How to get bad gas in Missouri

You get gas from White Castle?! I usually have to squirt it out the next morning before it turns to gas! D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts