Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's my issue. I have a 2015 Indian Chief that I have installed hard saddle bags on with the proper larger spools. Not realizing that there were actually 2 different spool sizes, I bought an aftermarket backrest for my bike. It is a very nice aftermarket backrest accept that it does not fit my larger spools. They do not make one that fits my larger spools. My question is, I can get spools that are a smaller outer diameter for the backrest to fit over, and yet the inside dimension of the hole is the same size as my current thicker spools, will the smaller outer diameter be a bad thing due to the extra weight of the hard bags compared to the soft bags?

Thanks,
Rob

·
Bronze member
2,095 Posts
I don't believe you will need to worry about the strength of the spools.
Indian uses two different diameter spools. For what reason, I have no idea.

·
Registered
156 Posts
You could go with a bolt on setup with the smaller diameter, such as Ospreys spools(they offer the small and large diameter spools). That’s what I had on my 2018 Vintage. Then either bags just bolt on and your backrest fits the spools.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
You won't have a problem with the smaller spool being weaker. People load them up with all sorts of stuff.

The difference in size is only 1 or 3 mm, and there are plastic sleeves that I think come in two wall thickness sizes as well. It's a mystery why they don't use a single size. If you do a forum search you will find a post from a year or two ago where somebody posted pics of each one and all the sizes. It might take a while to find, but it's informative.

Do you have supports under your hard bags? When they are fitted from factory the pipes have stand-offs that the bags sit on, so they are hardly loading the spool with any weight at all.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I do have the correct pipes with the standoffs for the bags. Thanks for all the help. I am going to buy the smaller spools and use the backrest and hard bags.

Thanks again,
Rob

1 - 5 of 5 Posts