Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about adding a reduced reach backrest to my reduced reach seat. Since it doesn't fold, my concern is getting on and off the bike. I'm old, short, and inflexible, so it may be too much of a challenge. Sure looks like it would add some comfort, though.

Any advice or pointers?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I believe that Mustang backrests fold down, but not sure how it would work on your bike. Another off the wall thought, and don't laugh, but have you tried getting on the bike from the right side. Stand on floorboard (or peg), and then swing left leg over.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe that Mustang backrests fold down, but not sure how it would work on your bike. Another off the wall thought, and don't laugh, but have you tried getting on the bike from the right side. Stand on floorboard (or peg), and then swing left leg over.
Back in the days when center stands were on about everything, I mounted (with a passenger backrest) in a similar fashion. I'd be afraid of tipping the scout, but I'm going to give it a try. Thanks for the 'out-of-the-box' thinking.

Now that I think about it, why wouldn't it work from the side-stand side?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Mustang is a great company. I have utilized many things from them over the years. I bought a grasshopper backrest and it has worked well with no issues. It does not fold though but have had zero problems with the set up. Small family business and good customer service.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,689 Posts
I've got the mustang seat and backrest. It does indeed fold forward. Most comfortable seat ever to boot.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
2016 Scout ABS is my first motorcycle ever. I bought it with a Mustang seat and backrest. The guy I bought it from suggested I use the backrest for my 180 mile ride home. I have since ridden a handful of times without it, just for a point of comparison, and I never ride without it anymore. This one does fold, although I only occasionally need the folding part when I don't lift my leg high enough. Long story short, get the backrest. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
FLSTN 085 (2).JPG
P1040624.JPG
2016 Scout ABS is my first motorcycle ever. I bought it with a Mustang seat and backrest. The guy I bought it from suggested I use the backrest for my 180 mile ride home. I have since ridden a handful of times without it, just for a point of comparison, and I never ride without it anymore. This one does fold, although I only occasionally need the folding part when I don't lift my leg high enough. Long story short, get the backrest. :)
Agreed. Once you ride with one, you wont want to ride with out one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Your replies have been very helpful. I will order a backrest today. Particular thanks to Jonscout for the footpeg mount suggestion. If I have issues getting over the rest, mounting from the peg works. Thanks again. What a forum!

·
Registered
369 Posts
I have an aftermarket cheap backrest on my Dark horse and I will never ride without one again, so much comfort. I can only imagine and adjustable, foldable one would make it even more enjoyable.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Backrest on; Ride taken; Backrest off; Backrest for sale.

Completely changed my riding position for the worst. Couldn't get comfy on the seat (too far forward) and just generally bunched up my whole body. Hip cramps and sore butt at 85 miles. Getting on and off is awkward at best. Had to try it, though.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
2,689 Posts

Completely changed my riding position for the worst. Couldn't get comfy on the seat (too far forward) and just generally bunched up my whole body. Hip cramps and sore butt at 85 miles. Getting on and off is awkward at best. Had to try it, though.
Is it the adjustable type? Can you bend the bracket back a tad until its comfortable and supportive?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is it the adjustable type? Can you bend the bracket back a tad until its comfortable and supportive?
I guess what I now realize is that it's a one posture solution. If it were modified for a comfortable riding position, it would be just that: A comfortable position. I have to move around to keep my lower back and butt from hurting. What I need is the equivalent of my car's electric seat, so I can subtly alter the position and support occasionally. Don't get old; Trust me.

·
Founding member
413 Posts
I rode my Scout with the stock seat and backrest for about a year, and could never ride for more than 45 minutes without getting a sore tailbone. If you're using the stock seat with the Indian backrest, don't blame the backrest for your discomfort. That whole setup is terrible. The Mustang seat with the fold down backrest is much better.

I had my Mustang seat custom modified to fit my butt a couple of days ago, and the result was fantastic. I can ride two hours straight without any discomfort. Here's a picture of my new seat.

IMG_1853.jpeg

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I rode my Scout with the stock seat and backrest for about a year, and could never ride for more than 45 minutes without getting a sore tailbone. If you're using the stock seat with the Indian backrest, don't blame the backrest for your discomfort. That whole setup is terrible.
View attachment 494164
Over the last 56 years I've had many seats modified and even spent the big bucks for Corbin, with varying degrees of success. Now I have the reduced reach Indian seat and it is more comfortable than my previous efforts. I also have the standard reach seat, which I rode on for 15 minutes and can't stand. Abysmal would be praise for the standard seat.

Butt, everyone's different. (sorry). I can easily go 4 hours on the RR seat, but with the backrest that was reduced to 85 miles. Four hour, 200 mile rides are about the longest I do anymore, so the backrest doesn't improve my comfort.

·
Registered
223 Posts

When i first got my backrest I had the same thoughts wow his has pushed me forward but after a week or so I wouldn't ride again without a backrest on a scout the backrest seemed to flatten out and line up with the seat

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I have a mustang seat with backrest . Very happy. I taught my brother in law to Put up right leg and slid it across the seat in front of backrest. Once you learn that it is easy.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts