Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So we picked her up from Rob Gregory in Little Rock on Thursday night 5/21. They stayed open late to take care of us too. The next day we left out and got caught in a serious thunderstorm- Raingear on and Rain mode activated until we got south of the storm 45 minutes later. The bike handled the downpour like a champ and was solid. This is the first serious two-up time with the Roadmaster Trunk and saddlebags packed full, and as you can imagine still getting used to the feel of the bike, the brakes, where she feels light, where she feels heavy, and the storm added a pucker factor- not going to lie.

We head through the corner of OK and then into Texas- See a biker brother of mine south of Dallas and then through Waco and into the Hill Country. We hit the Three Sisters and Luckenback as well as a few other great roads out there for a few days. Head to Houston and got a late 500 mile service at Indian of The Woodlands. We road some National Forest backroads near Huntsville for a few days and then back to NOLA.

Thoughts on the Bike-

Key upgrades- The Indian version of the KlockWerx windshield, Tab 2.5 pipes with Tab Cat Delete and Stage 1 Air and Hwy Pegs, and of course the Roadmaster Trunk.

Positive- Just about everything. The bike rode perfect, brakes are strong, Motor hauls. I pegged it out 2 up and you can tell she can easily go A LOT faster.
If you spend a lot of time on long trips, the upgraded windscreen is a must- The wind protection on the Challenger was FAR superior to my 2019 Wing Tour. The pipes sound great, and plenty of backpressure with the 2.5 baffles. I still may remove the insulation off the baffle though. My wife said she was very happy with the pipes from the back. No popping- from the pipes off the throttle and during downshifts.

Negative
Seat- I upgraded to the Saddlemen Roadsofa with driver backrest. We would get to 100-125 miles and we had to get off for a break. I want the option to be able to go a minimum 175-200 with no pain. It was all pressure points. Same for my wife on the back. We are sending the stock seat to Russell to get a DayLong done. I will report back once we get to test that sometime in the future. No back pain though with the backrest.
Seat LOOKS beautiful

I am also looking for recommendations for a true solo saddle for when I take the trunk off- I want to be able to see that rear fender with no passenger seat.

Horn- I won't use it- I would be embarrassed to use it. I am definitely looking for an aftermarket air horn that can fit in the stock position- I am open to hearing from anyone that has already done this. Please don't tell me to use the pipes as an alternative. I had people tell me to pull in the clutch and give the pipes a good rap. I don't know about you, but 45 years plus of riding has told me that pulling in the clutch to pop the pipes in the midst of an evasive maneuver is not the best option.

Ride Command- It will not connect using my account- I tried to connect almost every day for 12 days and it says that the INDIAN SERVERS ARE NOT RESPONDING.
Auto Day/Night function on the screen stopped working 4 days ago. If I manually change it, it works.

Indian of The Woodlands - they charged me $442 for the 500 mile service. I was out of town and I didn't want to wait to do the oil change and since we were on the trip I did it, but man I don't like spending $150/hr. I do my own oil changes on cars and bikes so I this won't be an issue always, but come on... They also could not help me at all regarding the Ride Command issue or the Screen Auto Day/Night issue- best they could do they said was to open up a ticket with Indian for my local dealer to look at. I at least expected a better effort at it I guess. They did take care of the Screen protector while I was there.

Overall- This bike is fantastic- The underwhelming feeling I got from the Wing has been replaced with a sense of pride owning this bike. It is a spectacular bike. If you are on the fence about this bike- get off the fence and buy it.

Last cool thing- We are on the Twisted Sisters and stop to read a historical sign in front of a cemetery on 335 near Medina Texas. There are some guys clearing tree limbs off power lines across the street. After we get the helmets off, I hear "HEY- IS THAT AN CHALLENGER??" It is one of the guys working on the lines. I yell back Yes and tell him to come take a look.
He comes over and is shaking his head and he says- I thought it was a Challenger from the front, but then I saw the trunk and thought WHAT IS THAT? He looks it over and says Wow- it is a Challenger. I said, you must have a pretty good eye for bikes- He said Yeah- I own a Darkhorse Challenger! I laughed- Out in the middle of nowhere and he has a Challenger. We talked for 20 minutes and he said the same thing- he loves his. Very Cool meeting him....

The last pic is of my brother, me, and our Dad- 75 and still riding strong...God Bless Texas

Ensign

·
Administrator
16,003 Posts
Great ride report! Thx for posting. Sounds like a great break-in ride...

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,298 Posts
Horn- I won't use it- I would be embarrassed to use it. I am definitely looking for an aftermarket air horn that can fit in the stock position- I am open to hearing from anyone that has already done this. Please don't tell me to use the pipes as an alternative. I had people tell me to pull in the clutch and give the pipes a good rap. I don't know about you, but 45 years plus of riding has told me that pulling in the clutch to pop the pipes in the midst of an evasive maneuver is not the best option.
I can address this one since I've done it. The horn is very easy to replace. I had a sound bomb mini from a previous bike and it fit perfectly in the spot of the factory horn and works great with the factory wiring. The only thing you have to get/make is a wiring harness as the factory horn has a metri-pack plug on it. I'll do a full write up on it and post it.

Great to hear your ride went well! Did the seat "break in" after all that time in it?

Reactions: Ensign Pulver

·
Bronze member
1,535 Posts
I can address this one since I've done it. The horn is very easy to replace. I had a sound bomb mini from a previous bike and it fit perfectly in the spot of the factory horn and works great with the factory wiring. The only thing you have to get/make is a wiring harness as the factory horn has a metri-pack plug on it. I'll do a full write up on it and post it.

Great to hear your ride went well! Did the seat "break in" after all that time in it?
Tech, looking forward to what and how you solved the horn problem. I've put duct tape over my horn button until I can resolve this issue. I think yelling to get someones attention is better than the factory horn!! What a big time let down from Indian.....but otherwise my Dark Horse runs like a cheetah!!!! I switched out the ZOMBIE baffles for the 2.5" inserts. I lost a LOT of really nice growl and noise from the ZOMBIE's, but picked up a much smoother running bike with the right amount of back pressure to maximize low to mid RPM torque and power with the new inserts. If any Challenger (or even TS111 owner) with the TAB mufflers is looking for a set of zombie baffles, let me know. Only put about 350 miles on them. I still shake my head with that f......ing horn!!!!

·
German Rider
1,733 Posts
Looks like you have been in my favorite beer brewery town : SHINER.

I love Shiner Bock. Sadly not available in germany but one of the first things I grab while grocery shopping when in the USA.

BTW : Great story!

Cu,
Sven

Reactions: Ensign Pulver

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,298 Posts
Tech, looking forward to what and how you solved the horn problem. I've put duct tape over my horn button until I can resolve this issue. I think yelling to get someones attention is better than the factory horn!! What a big time let down from Indian.....but otherwise my Dark Horse runs like a cheetah!!!! I switched out the ZOMBIE baffles for the 2.5" inserts. I lost a LOT of really nice growl and noise from the ZOMBIE's, but picked up a much smoother running bike with the right amount of back pressure to maximize low to mid RPM torque and power with the new inserts. If any Challenger (or even TS111 owner) with the TAB mufflers is looking for a set of zombie baffles, let me know. Only put about 350 miles on them. I still shake my head with that f......ing horn!!!!
I just put it up a few minutes ago. Challenger Horn Replacement

·
5 years +
178 Posts
So we picked her up from Rob Gregory in Little Rock on Thursday night 5/21. They stayed open late to take care of us too. The next day we left out and got caught in a serious thunderstorm- Raingear on and Rain mode activated until we got south of the storm 45 minutes later. The bike handled the downpour like a champ and was solid. This is the first serious two-up time with the Roadmaster Trunk and saddlebags packed full, and as you can imagine still getting used to the feel of the bike, the brakes, where she feels light, where she feels heavy, and the storm added a pucker factor- not going to lie.

We head through the corner of OK and then into Texas- See a biker brother of mine south of Dallas and then through Waco and into the Hill Country. We hit the Three Sisters and Luckenback as well as a few other great roads out there for a few days. Head to Houston and got a late 500 mile service at Indian of The Woodlands. We road some National Forest backroads near Huntsville for a few days and then back to NOLA.

Thoughts on the Bike-

Key upgrades- The Indian version of the KlockWerx windshield, Tab 2.5 pipes with Tab Cat Delete and Stage 1 Air and Hwy Pegs, and of course the Roadmaster Trunk.

Positive- Just about everything. The bike rode perfect, brakes are strong, Motor hauls. I pegged it out 2 up and you can tell she can easily go A LOT faster.
If you spend a lot of time on long trips, the upgraded windscreen is a must- The wind protection on the Challenger was FAR superior to my 2019 Wing Tour. The pipes sound great, and plenty of backpressure with the 2.5 baffles. I still may remove the insulation off the baffle though. My wife said she was very happy with the pipes from the back. No popping- from the pipes off the throttle and during downshifts.

Negative
Seat- I upgraded to the Saddlemen Roadsofa with driver backrest. We would get to 100-125 miles and we had to get off for a break. I want the option to be able to go a minimum 175-200 with no pain. It was all pressure points. Same for my wife on the back. We are sending the stock seat to Russell to get a DayLong done. I will report back once we get to test that sometime in the future. No back pain though with the backrest.
Seat LOOKS beautiful

I am also looking for recommendations for a true solo saddle for when I take the trunk off- I want to be able to see that rear fender with no passenger seat.

Ride Command- It will not connect using my account- I tried to connect almost every day for 12 days and it says that the INDIAN SERVERS ARE NOT RESPONDING.
Auto Day/Night function on the screen stopped working 4 days ago. If I manually change it, it works.

Indian of The Woodlands - they charged me $442 for the 500 mile service. I was out of town and I didn't want to wait to do the oil change and since we were on the trip I did it, but man I don't like spending $150/hr. I do my own oil changes on cars and bikes so I this won't be an issue always, but come on... They also could not help me at all regarding the Ride Command issue or the Screen Auto Day/Night issue- best they could do they said was to open up a ticket with Indian for my local dealer to look at. I at least expected a better effort at it I guess. They did take care of the Screen protector while I was there.

Overall- This bike is fantastic- The underwhelming feeling I got from the Wing has been replaced with a sense of pride owning this bike. It is a spectacular bike. If you are on the fence about this bike- get off the fence and buy it.

Last cool thing- We are on the Twisted Sisters and stop to read a historical sign in front of a cemetery on 335 near Medina Texas. There are some guys clearing tree limbs off power lines across the street. After we get the helmets off, I hear "HEY- IS THAT AN CHALLENGER??" It is one of the guys working on the lines. I yell back Yes and tell him to come take a look.
He comes over and is shaking his head and he says- I thought it was a Challenger from the front, but then I saw the trunk and thought WHAT IS THAT? He looks it over and says Wow- it is a Challenger. I said, you must have a pretty good eye for bikes- He said Yeah- I own a Darkhorse Challenger! I laughed- Out in the middle of nowhere and he has a Challenger. We talked for 20 minutes and he said the same thing- he loves his. Very Cool meeting him....

The last pic is of my brother, me, and our Dad- 75 and still riding strong...God Bless Texas

Ensign View attachment 592276 View attachment 592277 View attachment 592278 View attachment 592279
As for the Ride Command I feel your pain I have problems with mine as well. What I would suggest you do is call Customer Service and start a case file. There was suppose to have been an update in March or April but .... Great post enjoy that Challenger.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Also added the Saddlemen seat to my Challenger and its just not doing it for me. Will go the Ultimate or Russell route at some point later in the year. Struggling a bit to get my riding triangle where I need it. My Roadmaster i had perfect and could do 600 mile days. Can't do that on the Challenger yet. I have the Indian mid-rise bars and of course the seat issue so I suspect new bars with more pullback and better seat should fix this as this bike performance wise will run all day and do it very well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts