Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the FTR have auto cancelling turn signals? I know they do go off after a while when they "time out," but I sort of feel like they randomly do auto cancel after a turn, or its all just coincidence that the signals been running long enough prior to turning that it times out right as I make the turn. I remember the dealer telling me it did, but either mine are not working or it definitely does not have them. 98% of the time, I have to manually cancel them.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
The FTR seems to have several things influencing the auto off.

The standard thing for Indians is related to speed, but you have to drop down below a certain point and then as you go up past that point they turn off. Here in Oz it's 40 kph. If you take a turn and don't drop below that they won't cancel. That's how my Springfield does it.

People say the FTR also has a time-out, and a lean angle sensor that cancels them as you come upright. There's mention above of upshifts, that's a new one for me but I don't follow the FTR threads all that much.

·
Rider
1,192 Posts
The auto cancelling seems to work better for me on the ftr than it did for me on my chief. Ride the ftr harder than I rode the chief though.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I can be sitting waiting at an intersection for minutes waiting for the lights to change. When they do, the flashers only stay on for a brief time afterwards.

The switch off is obviously not time related. I'm wondering if it is GPS related, as this feature does not work on a private driveway or where there is not a public road.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
I bet it’s distance travelled, together with if you have leaned or not. Works pretty decent.

And gps controlled would be way too complicated (there are no maps in the dash).

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bet it’s distance travelled, together with if you have leaned or not.
OK. Try an experiment. Turn your turn signals on, and see how long they stay on when you just stay in a straight line. I'll bet it's will be a lot longer than if you turned a corner, leaning or not,

·
Registered
91 Posts
..... And when I refer to GPS related, I include position recognition from mobile cellphone signals, similar to what your mobile phone uses.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Don't think lean angle has anything to do with it.I have a fairly sharp S turn by my house so lean both ways,signal self cancels during accelleration when I make the first upshift.Have also seen a time factor come in while waiting at a lite and signal stops before lite changes.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
..... And when I refer to GPS related, I include position recognition from mobile cellphone signals, similar to what your mobile phone uses.
Whatever it is, speed, time in seconds, lean -yes you still lean some in slow corners-, it’s definitely not “position recognition from mobile cellphone signals”. It doesn’t have a sim card and still works in areas without reception.

Heck maybe it’s including accelerating after decelerating (throttle position).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Whatever it is, speed, time in seconds, lean -yes you still lean some in slow corners-, it’s definitely not “position recognition from mobile cellphone signals”. It doesn’t have a sim card and still works in areas without reception.
You're right -a sim card would be need to receive position recognition from mobile phone towers. My bad.

So I go back to my previous assertion; it is receiving GPS signals. Go to the menu for settings, clock, and you will see a choice whether or not to set the clock from a GPS signal. So if it can synchronize the clock from a received GPS signal, then that same GPS signal can determine geographic positioning, and monitor change of position.

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
It must be some logic that still works on bikes without GPS. The base model has auto cancelling too afaik, and no gps in the dash. Come to think of it, no lean sensitive IMU either btw, so that rules out lean too @Max Kool ....

And I'm willing to bet it still works with the dash removed/disconnected.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I don't know if you guys read my post at #6.

The common operation of the Indians is that when the bike slows to below 40 kph (25 mph) and then accelerates up through that point, the indicators turn off. If you don't slow to below that speed in a corner they won't auto-cancel.

People say the FTR has other things that influence auto-cancel, such as lean angle, time out, gear changes.

It's easy to check by isolating each possibility.

1. Get on a straight road so no lean angle involved, put the indicator on, slow to below 40/25 but don't change gear, accelerate up through 40/25 without changing gear and see if they cancel.

2. Straight road again, put indicator on, don't slow down but change down a gear, change up again without accelerating, check if they auto-cancel on the gear change.

3. Approach an intersection at a speed you can carry through it, put indicator on, ride around corner at constant speed with a fair amount of lean, bring bike upright at the same speed to check if auto-cancel works when bike comes upright.

4. Straight road, put indicator on, keep riding at constant speed and wait until indicator times out.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts