Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good afternoon all. This is my first post on the forum. I tried to see if there were any threads on audio systems. So here goes.

I picked up my Chieftain and found that I have to keep the equilizer pushed down to the bottom of the spectrum. I added speakers and an amp and now it has power but sounds the pits. I know 5.25" speakers are no performance models, however, I had the same set up on my Goldwing and Roadglide with great sound. Any help on this would be great. Thanks in advance for your time. Ride safe.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

·
Bronze member
1,822 Posts
You need to provide more specifics. I have a 2019 CDH and added the Power Band System all around and it cranks, is clear, and I don't need to turn it up past 3, even on the freeway. I have my balance set at 40% front and 60% rear, and have a trunk, as well, so the sound is perfectly balanced to my seating position. I need to add a little higher end to the mix, but overall it sounds very good for a motorcycle sound system.

·
Registered
408 Posts
Yeah you have to be more specific. What year chieftain, what amp, what speakers, are you running a processor, if you have a ride command model did you remember to turn off the automatic volume control. Important info to know

·
Registered
15 Posts
Good afternoon all. This is my first post on the forum. I tried to see if there were any threads on audio systems. So here goes.

I picked up my Chieftain and found that I have to keep the equilizer pushed down to the bottom of the spectrum. I added speakers and an amp and now it has power but sounds the pits. I know 5.25" speakers are no performance models, however, I had the same set up on my Goldwing and Roadglide with great sound. Any help on this would be great. Thanks in advance for your time. Ride safe.

here is the system i did for my customer https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/chieftain-limited-sound-system-upgrade.316668/

Yes Indian have weird EQ in the head unit (but not so bad as 2014+ Harley-Davidson)
Best signal from the radio when the volume is no more than 8, pass 8 it starts flatten the bass and give way more highs, so set up your amp to this volume as maximum

·
Registered
408 Posts
here is the system i did for my customer https://www.indianmotorcycles.net/threads/chieftain-limited-sound-system-upgrade.316668/

Yes Indian have weird EQ in the head unit (but not so bad as 2014+ Harley-Davidson)
Best signal from the radio when the volume is no more than 8, pass 8 it starts flatten the bass and give way more highs, so set up your amp to this volume as maximum
Not bad. Obviously it's not your bike but if it were up to me I would have ran active tweeters. Your setup looks somewhat similar to mine I did wiring wise. I have a processor though, 4 8s and 2 active tweets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What the 8" you have? i'm assuming you have horn tweeters and might have the frequency gap between 8" and tweeters

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

Also interested in what you mean by pushing the equalizer down to the bottom of the spectrum. If you push everything down equally all it’s going to do is reduce volume and make it sound terrible. The key is to keep most frequencies in the middle of the slider and only reduce or increase individual frequencies that improve the sound.

If the bike is used the original owner might have done something to the sound system. Especially if the bike has the new fairing you can’t just exchange the speakers because the new speakers have individual inputs for lows and highs. If a previous owner tried to put standard speakers in there it’s going to sound crappy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
408 Posts
Also interested in what you mean by pushing the equalizer down to the bottom of the spectrum. If you push everything down equally all it’s going to do is reduce volume and make it sound terrible. The key is to keep most frequencies in the middle of the slider and only reduce or increase individual frequencies that improve the sound.

If the bike is used the original owner might have done something to the sound system. Especially if the bike has the new fairing you can’t just exchange the speakers because the new speakers have individual inputs for lows and highs. If a previous owner tried to put standard speakers in there it’s going to sound crappy.

Not true especially in this case. Your adding an amp inline with another amp and the factory amp have very strong highs (8k area). Also like I did I'm using a digital processor so I'm tuning everything how I want on each channel. Even if you dont have a processor I highly recommend turning them all down. Your amp will make up for any loss is "volume"

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Not true especially in this case. Your adding an amp inline with another amp and the factory amp have very strong highs (8k area). Also like I did I'm using a digital processor so I'm tuning everything how I want on each channel. Even if you dont have a processor I highly recommend turning them all down. Your amp will make up for any loss is "volume"
Without knowing exactly what he’s got it’s hard to say what is going on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts