Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought my new Roadmaster (#163) on November 1st. 2107 miles later I noticed that the rubber (?) audio control switch cover is already cracked 50% of the way around the preset select button in the center.

Anybody else have that cover disintegrate so quickly? At this rate I'll be replacing it 10 times a year or more; I bought a premium touring bike to ride it, not look at it in the garage.

Here's hoping that Polaris is really going to stand behind this product, and hopefully make some improvements. I noticed that the original part number (4014325) has already been replaced by a newer one (4014694). $70! I'm sorry if I expect the parts on a $28,000 bike to last a bit longer than a month.

Reactions: slewfoot

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ouch. Has it been subjected to any odd conditions or chemicals, etc? Or just totally failed for no apparent reason?

Polaris warranty is very, very good though - you should have no trouble whatsoever. The headlight on my prior bike ('14 Vision Tour) failed after only 3k miles or so (known issue with Visions) and they replaced it without a question.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch. Has it been subjected to any odd conditions or chemicals, etc? Or just totally failed for no apparent reason?
No chemicals or radiation or crazy riding. I do ride year-round, so it has been subjected to cold (20 - 55F) temperatures in the last month. I do garage it when I'm not on it. However, like I said, it's a high-dollar touring machine; if they built it for guys who ride it only in perfect weather 5 miles to the nearest watering hole to show it off, or trailer it to Sturgis so they can pretend they rode there, they should have said as much in the manual...

Left a message with my dealer, still haven't heard back from them. It's a two-hour ride, so I'd almost rather they ship me the part, but if I have to ride there to get it replaced, so be it.

Reactions: Roll On

·
Registered
809 Posts
I absolutely agree. Was just curious what it was subjected to, that's all. I ride quasi yearroundish too. Sort of. :D And also garage it, but the garage isn't climate controlled. Insulated well/finished, but not climate controlled. Sucks your dealer is that far. Mine's right in town, about a 1.5 mile trip. And they're amazing.

(And didn't you used to be Chicagomark on the Victory forums?)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sucks your dealer is that far. Mine's right in town, about a 1.5 mile trip. And they're amazing.
It's probably a good thing that mine is not quite that close. I'd be there so often he'd have to claim me as a dependent on his W-4....

Reactions: pyro

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(And didn't you used to be Chicagomark on the Victory forums?)
Actually... No. LOL... I try to stay "Pyro" on forums for consistency. Can't always get it. I was very active for years on the Shadowriders forum, I love the Honda Shadows and the modification thereof. Rode a VTX the last couple of years, until I got run over. I've never been a Victory owner.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yep., I fully agree that this should not happen on a premium bike ! The good news is that by the looks of it you're going to get it replaced by an updated component and hopefully it will never happen again.
Got a close up shot of the crack ?
Good Luck

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The warranty service rep was out today. He's supposed to call me tomorrow. Here's a picture. On the right side, the whitish area is separated. I see in the picture cracks forming on the volume down button as well.
image.jpg

·
Registered
18 Posts
Give a little grace here
Wait till you get a little more info before you start slamming your "HIGH DOLLAR TOURING MACHINE" I bet Polaris will take care of this. I have had a few issues with the two Indians I own and Polaris/Indian took care of them. Give them a chance.

Darryl

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have a similar issue on a demo Chieftain. The bike has 6K miles on it and looks fantastic but the rubber on the audio button looks old and weathered. I asked if there was a replacement part but the dealer didn't have an IPB (Illustrated parts break down) showing the part number. I have no problem replacing it myself. If that's the only issue with the bike I'm still in love with it.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well... The dealer gave me the option of sending pictures of the bike, odometer, VIN, and defective part or riding two hours for them to do it. They said they could not send me the replacement part (4014694) in any case - if Polaris agrees to replace it, I'll have to bring it in for them to do the work.
I'm hoping they do stand behind it but I admit to being very disappointed that the materials used on this part were so short lived. Looking at the switch you can see how quickly its wearing out.
I've sent the pictures, now the dealer sends them to Polaris for a decision. Eventually a part is ordered and hopefully installed fairly soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Replaced. The control panel doesn't unplug from harness in the housing. They had to pull the wiring all the way back to the frame to replace that panel. Bike was in the service bay from 9 until after 2.

·
I want to go fast.
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Howie - yes, it was covered.
Pioneerscot - I sure hope so! Still love the bike. It's just gorgeous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
The warranty service rep was out today. He's supposed to call me tomorrow. Here's a picture. On the right side, the whitish area is separated. I see in the picture cracks forming on the volume down button as well.
View attachment 4051
900 miles and way way worse than that... every button on the circle cracked from a little to a lot. going inthis weekend and going to see if underwarrenty .. thanx for the thread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts