Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie with just over a year under my belt. I have an Indian Scout and a 22 Indian Super Chief Limited. I installed after market pipes on my Scout and tonight I tried to install the Dean Speed Rampage pipes on my Super Chief.

I got the stock pipes off without too much trouble and thought I was in a good spot.

I had a heck of a time getting the bottom pipe on but got it on. I had a hell of a time with the top pipe. Used WD40 and a mallet to push it on.

Now, all the movement caused the pipes to not align (see pic). As lame as this sounds, my wife and I have been working at this for 45 minutes and we can't budge anything. Both pipes are mostly stuck in place. We can mallet them over a bit but we get one hole aligned (so we can insert bolts) but that throws the other one off. We just need to get the two bolts through the holes but we can't really twist the pipes as they seem locked in place. We can get one lined up at a time (the bottom one seems easier) and we can't budge them to pull them back off either.

I've watched YouTube videos and of course everyone says "easy project with no problems." I wasn't raised in a house where I was taught all these tricks so I am doing my best to pick up tricks of the trade. There must be some simple way to approach this so I don't have to completely remove the pipes. I'm swallowing my pride and asking for help. Any advice for how to align these holes so I can insert the bolts? Thank you.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
620 Posts
Loosen the bracket and any other mount bolts including head pipes if necessary. Get everything as loose as possible, then use a punch smaller than the bolt to pull them together and align bolt holes. Start all bolts before tightening. Make sure to draw all down evenly, turn or two then on to next back and forth. When done make sure to use glass cleaner or some other cleaner to get all oil and finger prints off the pipes, mufflers and heat shields before starting or you may end up with permanent discoloration. Re check all bolts after riding a time or two. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loosen the bracket and any other mount bolts including head pipes if necessary. Get everything as loose as possible, then use a smaller than the bolt to pull them together. Start all bolts before tightening. Make sure to draw all down evenly, turn or two then on to next back and forth. When done make sure to use glass cleaner or some other cleaner to get all oil and finger prints off the pipes, mufflers and heat shields before starting or you may end up with permanent discoloration.
Thanks for the response. To clarify, we have no bolts back in and no brackets tightened. I did put the clamps around each pipe but I haven't tightened them. The next step was to put these two bolts back in but I can't get them lined up. After that, I planned to tighten the two front clamps. I got the OEM pipes off with no problem but now these two just seem stuck.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks for the response. To clarify, we have no bolts back in and no brackets tightened. I did put the clamps around each pipe but I haven't tightened them. The next step was to put these two bolts back in but I can't get them lined up. After that, I planned to tighten the two front clamps. I got the OEM pipes off with no problem but now these two just seem stuck.
Are you referring to complete head pipe and muffler set (pipes) or are you just changing mufflers?

·
Registered
620 Posts
Just mufflers. Stage 1
Ok, and not trying to be smart, reread my original post. Look to see where the head pipes are mounted, and back them off to give the pipes a little wiggle room as well as the mufflers. You may need to lift up and down or work mufflers side to side to get them on all the way. A little oil helps but make sure to get it off before starting to keep those new pipes pretty.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, and not trying to be smart, reread my original post. Look to see where the head pipes are mounted, and back them off to give the pipes a little wiggle room as well as the mufflers. You may need to lift up and down or work mufflers side to side to get them on all the way. A little oil helps but make sure to get it off before starting to keep those new pipes pretty.
Thanks for the response. Appreciate the nudge as I likely did go too fast. I will check it out.

Related point--I may have the dealer install a Thunderstroke Forward Stage 1 Air Intake that comes with the calibration. These things as they are don't seem like they are going to budge. Considering whether it's safe to drive and ask the dealer to finish this job up when doing the air intake installation. I will play around more with the head pipes. Thanks much.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Thanks for the response. Appreciate the nudge as I likely did go too fast. I will check it out.

Related point--I may have the dealer install a Thunderstroke Forward Stage 1 Air Intake that comes with the calibration. These things as they are don't seem like they are going to budge. Considering whether it's safe to drive and ask the dealer to finish this job up when doing the air intake installation. I will play around more with the head pipes. Thanks much.
I would finish the install, or put the stock mufflers back on and take it in. You don’t want those new ones sliding down the asphalt. Take your time work them up/down, left/right little at a time. They will go.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would finish the install, or put the stock mufflers back on and take it in. You don’t want those new ones sliding down the asphalt. Take your time work them up/down, left/right little at a time. They will go.
My wife and I just spent another 35 minutes or so. Tried the strap wrench but no good way to get that in there. I'm a little nervous to start messing with the head unit. When I installed my pipes on the Scout getting them off was the hard part, installing the new ones were a cinch. A reverse situation this time and now these things flat out won't budge forward or rear or twisting.

I have a shop down the street that have a couple of guys that ride that do some odd jobs so I may swallow my pride and see if they can do this with their shop tools a little easier later this week.

If I tighten the clamps, these things seem rock solid but I guess they could still vibrate out of place. Would like to get this finished but my wife's patience to be my assistant is running out with me for tonight. Ha.

·
Registered
620 Posts
My wife and I just spent another 35 minutes or so. Tried the strap wrench but no good way to get that in there. I'm a little nervous to start messing with the head unit. When I installed my pipes on the Scout getting them off was the hard part, installing the new ones were a cinch. A reverse situation this time and now these things flat out won't budge forward or rear or twisting.

I have a shop down the street that have a couple of guys that ride that do some odd jobs so I may swallow my pride and see if they can do this with their shop tools a little easier later this week.

If I tighten the clamps, these things seem rock solid but I guess they could still vibrate out of place. Would like to get this finished but my wife's patience to be my assistant is running out with me for tonight. Ha.
Sometimes knowing when to walk away saves you money. Knowing your comfort zone is better than breaking stuff.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts