Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this idea from some guys on another forum. It's a pewter belt buckle. If you search "Arrow Head Pewter Belt Buckle" you should be able to find it on Amazon or eBay. You may have to wait a bit as it seems there has been a run on them. LOL. I ordered one and it got back-ordered. Only took a week so I was happy.

The process:

1. Carefully cut off the belt loop and the "pin" from the back of the buckle with a metal cutting disk. (Dremel or angle grinder)

2. Drill a countersunk hole for a new countersunk type allen head bolt to replace stock seat bolt. (dimensions: 8mm x 1.25mm x 20mm) I used a stainless steel bolt. The bolt should sit flush with the surface of the buckle.

3. Finish the buckle how ever you desire. It looks good in pewter and I've seen guys go with a bronze color. I used gold leaf.

4. Add 3 small vinyl bumpers to the back. Local hardware store should have these. I had to trim some thickness from the front bumper so the buckle would sit level. The buckle will sit on these bumper which will protect your paint. They are self-adhesive but I added a drop of 5 minute epoxy for good measure.

5. I then used a press in type bolt cover. It presses into the allen socket of the bolt. Press it into your bolt. Drill a hole in a block of wood to hold the bolt securely and tap the center of the cover with a set punch, (use a nail if you don't have one), to give the drill bit a place to start. Drill a hole the same size as the pin you want to use. Pop the cover out, add some epoxy and slip it over your pin. Once it cures, you can press it into the allen head bolt once the arrow head is installed. It should fit snug. If not, you can manipulate the prongs with a screw driver for a tighter fit. You can add a small ring of Velcro under the pin for more security.

Another option is to use a coin with double-sided tape. It would need to be replaced each time you remove the bolt so if you change from 2-up to solo often, it could get tedious.

Arrow Head Bolt Cover 600x400 (1).jpg Arrow Head Bolt Cover 600x400 (2).jpg Arrow Head Bolt Cover 600x400 (3).jpg Arrow Head Bolt Cover 600x400 (4).jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Mine! I also mounted the screw underneath. it was really simple. I bought the buckle ($17), cut off everything on the bottom with a dremel cutting blade. Drilled the hole straight through just smaller than the top of the allen screw. I then used home depot round magnet $3.76 and superglued right under the hole. I then put the screw onto the magnet while it was upside down so the head sits on top of the magnet. I took a washer larger than the screw head so it completely fits around the screw. I then laid a washer the same size but with a smaller hole over the screw. That captures the screw inside like a sandwich but it still turns smoothly. I got the washers for 20 cents. I then took JB weld steelstik ($5.70) putty and filed around it the same size as the arrowhead with slightly over the edge of the washers. It hardens in 5 mins and makes it solid like metal capturing everything inside with the screw still able to spin. I added a smaller magnet on the pin and it actually contacts the magnet when put on top. Very strong. It was easy and solid. So about an hour and about $28...

Attachments

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine! I also mounted the screw underneath. it was really simple. I bought the buckle ($17), cut off everything on the bottom with a dremel cutting blade. Drilled the hole straight through just smaller than the top of the allen screw. I then used home depot round magnet $3.76 and superglued right under the hole. I then put the screw onto the magnet while it was upside down so the head sits on top of the magnet. I took a washer larger than the screw head so it completely fits around the screw. I then laid a washer the same size but with a smaller hole over the screw. That captures the screw inside like a sandwich but it still turns smoothly. I got the washers for 20 cents. I then took JB weld steelstik ($5.70) putty and filed around it the same size as the arrowhead with slightly over the edge of the washers. It hardens in 5 mins and makes it solid like metal capturing everything inside with the screw still able to spin. I added a smaller magnet on the pin and it actually contacts the magnet when put on top. Very strong. It was easy and solid. So about an hour and about $28...
I sure wish I had some pictures. I got the buckle, bot rhe riders group pin but am trying to visualize what you guys did.

·
Bronze member
1,629 Posts
Yea, I'd like to try my hand at it too. Not to discredit what Dave did but I like making stuff for myself too

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 27 Posts