Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Arnott Motorcycle Air Suspension -- the leader in True Onboard Adjustable Air Suspension kits for motorcycles -- announces the introduction of Ultimate Ride height adjustable Air Suspension Systems for the 2014 to 2017 Indian® Scout® and Scout® Sixty line of motorcycles.

The Indian motorcycle air suspension systems are featured new offerings in Arnott's completely redesigned line of TruAIR™ Motorcycle Air Suspension kits available for many popular Harley-Davidson®, Honda®, Kawasaki®, Suzuki®, Victory®, and Yamaha® motorcycles.

Arnott's Ultimate Ride Kits for the Indian Feature
Two Nitrogen-Charged FOX® Shock Absorbers

Custom-Designed for the Indian

Arnott's new adjustable Ultimate Ride Air Suspension Kits for the 2014-2017
Indian Scout & Scout Sixty models with and without ABS offer TruAIR™ Technology with a rugged Goodyear® multi-ply air spring bladder coupled with two custom nitrogen-charged FOX® shock absorbers. Arnott's Air Suspension Kits provide the rider with superior control, ride comfort and much greater height adjustability.

Arnott pairs the shocks with a small but powerful compressor, application-specific mounting bracket, and air distribution valve block which includes a muffler to control how fast air is released.

Ultimate Ride Offerings for the Indian Include:

-- 2014 to 2017 Ultimate Ride Black with ABS (MC-2992)-- Retails for $1,099. Minimum Length: 10.03 inches; Maximum Length: 11.91 Inches.

-- 2014 to 2017 Ultimate Ride Chrome with ABS (MC-2993) -- Retails for $1,099. Minimum Length: 10.03 inches; Maximum Length: 11.91 Inches.

-- 2014 to 2017 Ultimate Ride Black without ABS (MC-2990) -- Retails for $1,099. Minimum Length: 10.03 inches; Maximum Length: 11.91 Inches.

-- 2014 to 2017 Ultimate Ride Chrome without ABS (MC-2991) -- Retails for $1,099. Minimum Length: 10.03 inches; Maximum Length: 11.91 Inches.

Fast And Flawless

Arnott Adjustable Motorcycle kits include everything needed for a fast and flawless installation including a detailed installation manual, fused wiring harness and relay assembly, matching black or chrome handlebar-mounted inflation switch, all necessary tubing, cable ties, fittings, bolt covers, and mounting accessories. Each shock is custom-crafted and rigorously tested in Arnott's Florida manufacturing facility and is backed by Arnott's Limited Lifetime Warranty. For a complete list of Arnott adustable air suspension kits for Indian brand motorcycles visit www.Indian-Air-Suspension.com.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Alright.

Now we need an unbiased install and ride review.
I dig me some air ride.

Arnott,
I would be willing to volunteer my services. If you would send me:

-- 2014 to 2017 Ultimate Ride Chrome without ABS (MC-2991) -- Retails for $1,099. Minimum Length: 10.03 inches; Maximum Length: 11.91 Inches.

I will install unto my bike and provide documented, unbiased feedback on this forum, as to their performance. I hope the compressor is not huge and ugly. Air lines on my handlebars would be a deal breaker.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Is the compressor strictly necessary? Unless you have to have on-the-fly adjustment, it seems that a tiny hand pump you screw on when needed to adjust pressure would cut a lot of complexity and expense.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Your going to want a compressor installed for the fact that on air ride suspension it will lose air a lot sooner than a sealed suspension unit so you will want to keep it full at your preferred comfort and ride hight. It's also more for baggers who want air ride and pull up to a meet and drop their bike down in frame and bags looking like a "G"!

·
Diamond member
9,096 Posts
Not a fan of air shocks for as many reasons as I like standard suspension.. I'm sure this will benefit some, but I don't want a mediocre spring property, while dealing with air leaks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Any update on this Arnott air suspension for the Scout? Has anybody installed this or heard good or bad owner feedback?
I installed a few weeks ago. My reason for the purchase was I wanted an easy way to adjust between single and 2-up. They work perfect for that. Time will tell if they leak. I do think they are too expensive, but adjusting / swapping shocks every time I had a passenger wasn't for me.

Con: they weren't a straight bolt on to install them like I wanted. Nothing new about that. Your results may vary.

Cheers.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I installed a few weeks ago. My reason for the purchase was I wanted an easy way to adjust between single and 2-up. They work perfect for that. Time will tell if they leak. I do think they are too expensive, but adjusting / swapping shocks every time I had a passenger wasn't for me.

Con: they weren't a straight bolt on to install them like I wanted. Nothing new about that. Your results may vary.

Cheers.
Thanks for your response. Is my understanding correct that for the Arnott's air suspension to handle heavier loads it raises the height of the bike by putting more air into the suspension and to handle lighter loads it reduces the height of the bike by letting air out.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thanks for your response. Is my understanding correct that for the Arnott's air suspension to handle heavier loads it raises the height of the bike by putting more air into the suspension and to handle lighter loads it reduces the height of the bike by letting air out.
No. Look at it this way:

You increase air pressure to accommodate the load on the bike. The ride height should stay the same.

For example, I'm 150lbs and have the shocks set at about 70psi (still fiddling.)
I add a passenger and the bike sags under the load reducing suspension travel, so I increase the pressure to 140 or so. That brings the ride height back up to normal. Restoring travel.

It's like adjusting the preload on a coil over shock. The damping remains constant. In a perfect world you might want to increase the damping but for every day tripping, this is turning out to be ideal.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Did you just fit the air shocks kit or did you also do the complete compressor and handlebar mounted switches? What part of the install did you have the problem with?
checkout the OP's website, it has a very good pdf of the install by picture, this includes the teardown, compressor, cables shocks and switch istall, these are sold as a kit for Scout with ABS for Australian models.

Reactions: FatscoutAustralia

·
Registered
180 Posts
checkout the OP's website, it has a very good pdf of the install by picture, this includes the teardown, compressor, cables shocks and switch istall, these are sold as a kit for Scout with ABS for Australian models.
Yes I have done that, I am also interested to hear the installation issues that "2018_Indian_Bobber" refers to in his above post.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yes I have done that, I am also interested to hear the installation issues that "2018_Indian_Bobber" refers to in his above post.
I bought the full kit for ABS (#2992 I think.)

Here is my experience:

1) Left-side compressor mounting bolt, washer and nut missing. I found a bolt/nut/washer that worked in my personal parts bin.

compressor mount.jpg

2) Under seat "manifold mounting bracket assembly" position doesn't leave enough clearance to attach seat. It possibly could fit. There are mounting bosses on both sides of the manifold. You only need one side so maybe you can cut off the other side for 1/4" more clearance, and bend the bracket further down. For now, I just placed the manifold in loose. Also this way I won't need a wrench to get to the fuse box.

manifold.jpg
Maybe when they created this kit , they didn't consider the Fuel Evaporation Emission components. For example the carbon canister (California emissions) needs to be removed to mount the compressor. And the tubes (90* elbows at back of tank) are part of that system as well and are getting in the way???

3) The provided lower shock bushing inserts move the shocks outward by 1/4" (or so) I assume to make clearance for the air fittings at the top of the shock. On the exhaust side with stock mufflers you would have to clearance the muffler (at least 1/2") to clear the mounting bolt. I didn't want to do that so I made the bushings thinner. There's still enough room for the air line up top.

Lower Shock Bushings.jpg

With 3" mufflers (or 2-1 etc.) I think the bushings provided would clear and with spacer/washers at the top to line-up the shock (kit didn't provide any) the shocks would be a straight bolt-on.

The kit also did not include the longer bolts to accommodate the thicker lower inserts in the first place! So I bought (1) longer bolt and used the factory bolt on the exhaust side with the thinner bushings.

4) Lastly, the "handlebar mounted button" mounting tab doesn't fit flush with the recess on the lever (if that was the intention.) I added a 1/4" spacer and a longer bolt.

Button mount.jpg

So mostly little things that were easily fixed, but aggravating . I could have called after the weekend and bitched about it but I also wanted to get it done. All-in-all I had to buy a few bolts and washers and grind down the bushings. It turned into a full day install instead of a few hours. For $1k you'd think it would be sorted out better.

I do like the shocks though! Hope this helps.

·
Registered
180 Posts
To "2018_Indian_Bobber"

Thanks so much for your detailed reply. It is good to see that you have explained every issue you encountered during your installation. May I suggest that you also email Arnott's of your issues just out of courtesy so that they have the opportunity to further refine the installation process if they haven't already done so.

Your post has indicated that the installation process is going to be above my mechanical ability and I will require a suspension expert to perform the process for me should I choose to proceed with the Arnott's air shocks.

·
Registered
595 Posts
@2018_Indian_Bobber Thanks for the posts with your information.
This isn't that much more expensive than my Bullet shocks which I really like. However my Bullets are set at one setting and they work great for one up. (They can be adjusted but you have to return them to an authorized place for this.) They are also pretty good for 2 up but I do bottom out once in a while. When I do bottom out it has not been bad. In my opinion the Bullets are better than stock for both one or two up and no adjustment needed. This looks like it would be even better because you do not have to compromise either ride. You can adjust it precisely to your preference for either one or two up. I'm going to keep an eye on this post to see how they hold up and what others have to say.

·
Registered
46 Posts
What's different on 18-19' that these wouldn't work?
If you're talking to me, I ordered kit for 2018. Maybe the pre '18s have 1/2" more space between muffler and shock? I don't know. As I said previously, I think if I had stage 1 exhaust (they are smaller right) or other slip-ons that are smaller dia. the only issue would have been missing bolts. Either way, I installed to my satisfaction.

MGG, glad you found a solution. For me, with the shock preload set-up for 2-up it was too stiff and I got bounced out of the seat riding solo.

Take care.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I bought the full kit for ABS (#2992 I think.)

Here is my experience:

1) Left-side compressor mounting bolt, washer and nut missing. I found a bolt/nut/washer that worked in my personal parts bin.

View attachment 447034

2) Under seat "manifold mounting bracket assembly" position doesn't leave enough clearance to attach seat. It possibly could fit. There are mounting bosses on both sides of the manifold. You only need one side so maybe you can cut off the other side for 1/4" more clearance, and bend the bracket further down. For now, I just placed the manifold in loose. Also this way I won't need a wrench to get to the fuse box.

View attachment 447026
Maybe when they created this kit , they didn't consider the Fuel Evaporation Emission components. For example the carbon canister (California emissions) needs to be removed to mount the compressor. And the tubes (90* elbows at back of tank) are part of that system as well and are getting in the way???

3) The provided lower shock bushing inserts move the shocks outward by 1/4" (or so) I assume to make clearance for the air fittings at the top of the shock. On the exhaust side with stock mufflers you would have to clearance the muffler (at least 1/2") to clear the mounting bolt. I didn't want to do that so I made the bushings thinner. There's still enough room for the air line up top.

View attachment 447028

With 3" mufflers (or 2-1 etc.) I think the bushings provided would clear and with spacer/washers at the top to line-up the shock (kit didn't provide any) the shocks would be a straight bolt-on.

The kit also did not include the longer bolts to accommodate the thicker lower inserts in the first place! So I bought (1) longer bolt and used the factory bolt on the exhaust side with the thinner bushings.

4) Lastly, the "handlebar mounted button" mounting tab doesn't fit flush with the recess on the lever (if that was the intention.) I added a 1/4" spacer and a longer bolt.

View attachment 447032

So mostly little things that were easily fixed, but aggravating . I could have called after the weekend and bitched about it but I also wanted to get it done. All-in-all I had to buy a few bolts and washers and grind down the bushings. It turned into a full day install instead of a few hours. For $1k you'd think it would be sorted out better.

I do like the shocks though! Hope this helps.
Is this an 2018 Scout Bobber you installed on ? I have a Springfield but a close friend has the Bobber and is looking at suspension upgrades.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts