Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to ride through the desert on a horse that has a name and I'm thinking I may need to bring about 2 reserve bottles. I can strap a couple 1qt canteens to my ruck. Has anyone done this successfully or will they disintegrate? That said, I'll likely need water as well but I'd like to carry both.

·
Founding member / platinum
10,006 Posts
What kind of bike, off road or on the highways, where is this "desert"?
Are you going where there is no fuel or water available within reach of your tank?

A little more information could help everyone make some intelligent answers for you! :confused::):)
One piece of information that I 'might' be able to help you with..... Army canteens might not be the best containers for the fuel!

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What kind of bike, off road or on the highways, where is this "desert"?
Are you going where there is no fuel or water available within reach of your tank?

A little more information could help everyone make some intelligent answers for you! :confused::):)
One piece of information that I 'might' be able to help you with..... Army canteens might not be the best containers for the fuel!
I plan to take my Vintage across Nevada and possibly NM and Arizona and on this ride I also plan to put in a few miles at night thereby further limiting my reach as many gas stations in the middle of nowhere are closed at night. I have 2 gas tanks on my truck with a 300 mile reach and I missed Roswell once and it was nerve-wracking getting to Alamogordo.

I thought about the 1qt as they appear to be made of a very durable plastic, more so than even my gas cans, they seal well as well. That said, I'm no chemist, either. I know from experience not to use the Army 2qt, that's a whole different bird and it didn't go well.

I will look into the RotopaX as well, as long as I can secure it to the molle on my ruck.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Reda, specially designed for saddlebags. That's an Aussie vid, but the Reda cans are available everywhere.

Reactions: Wovoka

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reda, specially designed for saddlebags. That's an Aussie vid, but the Reda cans are available everywhere.

That is nice. Where would I put it? I feel like setting it close to the pipes in one of the bags would have rather adverse effects and if I set it with my clothes in the ruck, folks around me would have adverse effects. Unless the voice of experience trumps me, that's happened once or twice, strapping it onto my ruck would allow it to catch a breeze, I thought that may be ideal. Am I reading into it too much? That's happened once or twice, too.

Then again, you all may be on to something, here.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I really wouldn’t worry about the exhaust heat in the saddlebags.

If they heated the bags enough to affect the gas jug, a lot of other things would be melting in there now.

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I took a good look at both the Reda can and the Rotopax. I really like the Rotopax; is it me or do they seem really proud of it? The idea is in line with what I had in mind but I'm afraid I'd have to leave my credit card in the sun so it can charge a bit more. I can fit a Reda can in my saddle bag and I haven't heard of anyone shooting flames out their bags and I don't think weight is a big deal despite the leather bags. I think I proved already they can hold some weight.

There is a reason I come here for advice. Thank you all for your help. When I succeed in my harebrained schemes, I'll be sure to give credit where it's due.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
6,027 Posts
I took a good look at both the Reda can and the Rotopax. I really like the Rotopax; is it me or do they seem really proud of it? The idea is in line with what I had in mind but I'm afraid I'd have to leave my credit card in the sun so it can charge a bit more. I can fit a Reda can in my saddle bag and I haven't heard of anyone shooting flames out their bags and I don't think weight is a big deal despite the leather bags. I think I proved already they can hold some weight.

There is a reason I come here for advice. Thank you all for your help. When I succeed in my harebrained schemes, I'll be sure to give credit where it's due.
We've only ever used RotopaX on bikes and offroad rigs.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Mode of transport

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another option is the soft bags made for fuel. Most of the smaller sizes have rings and loops for fitting onto other bags etc.

Here's an example
Gas Bag Fuel Safe Bladder - Giant Loop

That is exactly what I'm looking for and I've been all over the innerwebs. A molle mount canister.

This isn't molle but I can thread it on to a molle setup with 550 cord.

Unfortunately, I don't have $150 to spare. It's still a brilliant idea though.

I do like the scotch and soda idea though. Would that be an open container if I put a piece of tape over the cap? It works in Louisiana with the drive-thru daiquiri, just saying...

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
That is exactly what I'm looking for and I've been all over the innerwebs. A molle mount canister.

Unfortunately, I don't have $150 to spare. It's still a brilliant idea though.
If you go looking you will find lots of different brands for these soft fuel bags and there must be cheaper options. I posted the first one that came up in a web search merely as an example.

·
Bronze member
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you go looking you will find lots of different brands for these soft fuel bags and there must be cheaper options. I posted the first one that came up in a web search merely as an example.
I have 2 minds on that. If it's a whole lot cheaper, it's a bag that holds gasoline. :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts