Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm at 1120 miles on my Chieftain and had the 500 service done. The past two weeks have been warm here in Phoenix. Most days have been between 107 - 110F. My Chieftain does not like the heat. Here are my observations on hot days:
  • When tires heat up on hot road my tire pressure sending units drop in and out leaving me ignoring the idiot light that stays on for the rest of the ride.
  • My MFD washes completely out. I'm not talking about hard to read kind of washing out, I mean the display fails until the temperature in my display goes below 120 F. (I checked with IR thermometer)
  • Motor noise is makes my former three Motor Company mills sound like sewing machines. IMHO When head temperatures go north of 325 the mill really start talking. Hope the semi syn oil is protecting better than it sounds.
  • Shifting gets real harsh. Finding neutral...some times I have to shut it down to get to neutral when it's hot.
  • And what about that heat in the area of my offspring vault!!! This Chieftain feels like the hottest running bike I have ever had. I know the EPA has them in a corner, but crap it gets hot on the right thigh.

Anyone else seeing these conditions? My compression numbers at the 500 mile service were 95 psi front and 80 psi rear. When they picked me off the floor the dealer said it's common for the Indians, but tech could not explain why. I think I know why the numbers are low due to cam design, but I don't know why there is 16% delta between the two holes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm at 1120 miles on my Chieftain and had the 500 service done. The past two weeks have been warm here in Phoenix. Most days have been between 107 - 110F. My Chieftain does not like the heat. Here are my observations on hot days:
  • When tires heat up on hot road my tire pressure sending units drop in and out leaving me ignoring the idiot light that stays on for the rest of the ride.
  • My MFD washes completely out. I'm not talking about hard to read kind of washing out, I mean the display fails until the temperature in my display goes below 120 F. (I checked with IR thermometer)
  • Motor noise is makes my former three Motor Company mills sound like sewing machines. IMHO When head temperatures go north of 325 the mill really start talking. Hope the semi syn oil is protecting better than it sounds.
  • Shifting gets real harsh. Finding neutral...some times I have to shut it down to get to neutral when it's hot.
  • And what about that heat in the area of my offspring vault!!! This Chieftain feels like the hottest running bike I have ever had. I know the EPA has them in a corner, but crap it gets hot on the right thigh.

Anyone else seeing these conditions? My compression numbers at the 500 mile service were 95 psi front and 80 psi rear. When they picked me off the floor the dealer said it's common for the Indians, but tech could not explain why. I think I know why the numbers are low due to cam design, but I don't know why there is 16% delta between the two holes.
I got mine in late May in Chandler, AZ and have 2700 miles on her already and I ride to work each day into downtown Phoenix. It does heat that right leg at stop lights in the afternoon heat above 105 degree days. Use the widespread leg stance at the stop lights.
Check tire pressure cold with the tire gauge (36 front and 41rear)as you'll gain 5-7 psi on those hot days. I added 2 psi per tire, two times since I bought it. No flat tires wanted when it's 110 degrees.

No MFD issues for me other than the reflections, so I wear a black vest.

Motor noise is the overhead cams and lifters that calms down at speed as the exhaust and wind increases. Just tune it out and enjoy the modern technology and durability of this engine over ancient technology.

My tranny gets smoother when the oil heats up. I do get some misshifts occasionally as I miss a heel shifter. I ordered one from Aeromach so that should help.

These AZ summers are tough to ride, but by October to June, nowhere else is as good as AZ riding.

·
Registered
67 Posts
my Chietain running nice at 6200 miles. Recently hit bottom on a curb and damaged the kickstand sensor. need that replaced as soon as i get the part. Met all the service intervals at Scottsdale Indian. The tech there does a good job of explaining little issues I have with the bike.I do notice the right side gets a little hot but I do not live in the valley so it cools down quick out in rural AZ. Hate riding in the city. Metro Phoenix is rush hour all day as you know. my PSI goes up but to me that seems normal cuz it goes up plus 4. Engine is smooth especially when your riding lets say past Anthem and Apache Jct. No problems there. Hard to find neutral but gets easier when you ride it more. I rode harleys the last 20 years but wouldn't go back to one. Rode my bike to Sturgis 2014 and back fully packed after the 500 mile breaking period and didn't have one problem at all. Only problem was I caught my self going 90 miles ph at times on I-25 north. No trailers for me and Im old.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts