Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm 6'7'' with a 36" inseam and always looking for more room in cars and motorcycles.

I recently purchased the 2018 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse (which I love) but, was really disappointed when my dealer ordered me the AreoMach floorboard extenders and they didn't fit the new 2018 model!

For 2018, Indian redesigned the brake mechanism (master cylinder) near the floorboard which doesn't allow the AreoMach machined piece to fit properly.

To get additional space, I purchased the Mustang seat, passenger seat, and backrest after sitting in both a Corbin and Mustang. The Mustang moved me back 1.5 inches and took a lot of pressure off my tailbone. Couldn't be happier with the decision, look and build quality.

This post is to both inform future AreoMach buyers for their 2018's that the product won't fit and to ask another question. In the mean time, are their any floorboards or other re-locator kits that anyone has used with the goal of increasing leg room?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Being 6'-08" with a 38" inseam, I can related to your cramped style. I have never ridden my wife's 2015 Chieftain because it's just too cramped for me. Oh I've ridden it up the driveway but never for more than a 1/4 mile or so on the street. If this was the Yamaha Stratoliner forum, I could give you lots of advice on making your bike fit better. Here are a couple of things to consider:
1. Move the floorboards - I know, read your original post
2. Have the seat re worked to move you up and back. Many seat customizers can do this cheaper than a Mustang seat and move you farther.
3. Floorboard mounted highway pegs. Highway bars don't mix well with my 3" forward floorboards and just get in my way.
4. Extended brake pedal will allow you to get your foot on the brake without hoisting your whole size 14 into the air
5. Heal shifter makes all the upshifts easy

Good luck and post your results, there may be an Indian in my future if it could be made to fit.

Don C.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Being 6'-08" with a 38" inseam, I can related to your cramped style. I have never ridden my wife's 2015 Chieftain because it's just too cramped for me. Oh I've ridden it up the driveway but never for more than a 1/4 mile or so on the street. If this was the Yamaha Stratoliner forum, I could give you lots of advice on making your bike fit better. Here are a couple of things to consider:
1. Move the floorboards - I know, read your original post
2. Have the seat re worked to move you up and back. Many seat customizers can do this cheaper than a Mustang seat and move you farther.
3. Floorboard mounted highway pegs. Highway bars don't mix well with my 3" forward floorboards and just get in my way.
4. Extended brake pedal will allow you to get your foot on the brake without hoisting your whole size 14 into the air
5. Heal shifter makes all the upshifts easy

Good luck and post your results, there may be an Indian in my future if it could be made to fit.

Don C.
"The Don" thanks for your reply. All good suggestions.The extended brake pedal is on my list for sure. It's amazing how much the taller population has to pay to make things work. I'd love to buy something out of the box and have it work! Until then... thank god for after market parts.

·
Registered
68 Posts
..Another tall guy here (6'7"), and i get it. I have the aeromach extensions on my '15 vintage stretched all the way out and cant imaging not having the room. No love for the tall man.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm 6'7'' with a 36" inseam and always looking for more room in cars and motorcycles.

I recently purchased the 2018 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse (which I love) but, was really disappointed when my dealer ordered me the AreoMach floorboard extenders and they didn't fit the new 2018 model!

For 2018, Indian redesigned the brake mechanism (master cylinder) near the floorboard which doesn't allow the AreoMach machined piece to fit properly.

To get additional space, I purchased the Mustang seat, passenger seat, and backrest after sitting in both a Corbin and Mustang. The Mustang moved me back 1.5 inches and took a lot of pressure off my tailbone. Couldn't be happier with the decision, look and build quality.

This post is to both inform future AreoMach buyers for their 2018's that the product won't fit and to ask another question. In the mean time, are their any floorboards or other re-locator kits that anyone has used with the goal of increasing leg room?
Sorry to hijack your thread. But, where did you buy the Mustang seat. They have shown out of stock on their website since June. I emailed them and never heard back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry to hijack your thread. But, where did you buy the Mustang seat. They have shown out of stock on their website since June. I emailed them and never heard back.
I used Google's shopping tool to find out what online retailer had them in stock.

J&P Cycles - bought the non studded passenger seat and back rest
Dennis Kirk - bought the last solo they had

·
Silver member
5,030 Posts
You really tall guys need to sit on a Gilroy. The most stretched out bike of all time!

Reactions: TreetopMike

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,752 Posts
I had a Mustang seat on my Chieftain for two years, but the Ultimate Tall Boy is the best. I've haad mine since April and it is definitely more comfortable with a similar setback as the Mustang.

·
Rider
844 Posts
It's expensive but you can gain some legroom if you install the OEM floorboards found on the Elite models . I bought the Mustang seat and it really makes the riding position perfect for me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's expensive but you can gain some legroom if you install the OEM floorboards found on the Elite models . I bought the Mustang seat and it really makes the riding position perfect for me.

Thanks for the tip. Do you know how much space that adds?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I wonder if Aeromach is redesigning the brackets for a new lowering kit for the 2018 models. It wouldn't surprise me being as their kit is so popular with Indian owners.
I've made them aware and so has my dealer. We ordered the kit together after speaking to the rep at AreoMach. They had no idea the master cylinder was redesigned. Unfortunately, their biggest hurdle right now is getting their hands on a 2018 to start redesigning.

I see other floorboards such as these
Arlen Ness Black Deep-Cut Driver Floorboards | 912-847

say they offer up to 3 inches of adjust-ability and a thinner profile. Does anyone have any experience with an item like this?

These floorboards claim to give another inch in leg room and are 2" longer than stock.
Carl Brouhard Elite Driver Floorboards For Indian 2014-2015 - RevZilla

It lowers it about 3/4 to 1 in. but it allows you to stretch out a little further. View attachment 364274
As Sandspur said above ^ the Indian Elite floorboards should add some room with or without the AreoMarch extenders.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've made them aware and so has my dealer. We ordered the kit together after speaking to the rep at AreoMach. They had no idea the master cylinder was redesigned. Unfortunately, their biggest hurdle right now is getting their hands on a 2018 to start redesigning.

I see other floorboards such as these
Arlen Ness Black Deep-Cut Driver Floorboards | 912-847

say they offer up to 3 inches of adjust-ability and a thinner profile. Does anyone have any experience with an item like this?

These floorboards claim to give another inch in leg room and are 2" longer than stock.
Carl Brouhard Elite Driver Floorboards For Indian 2014-2015 - RevZilla
Any thoughts here guys? The Carl Brouhard seem interesting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Regarding the Brouchard Boards for tall guy issues
1: lower will help but they will drag easier.
2. Longer than stock is of little value if the extra length is towards the rear.
3. If they are longer towards the front, I still question the value unless the shifter and brake pedal are moved forward as well.

My issue is not where to rest my feet (highway pegs will solve that) but being able to effectively work the foot controls. Having to lift your heel off the floorboard in order to get your foot onto the brake pedal is a dangerous way to ride.

Don C.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts