Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just checking in with the group to see if anyone has flashed their bike with a tune and lives at high altitude. In the past it took a lot of work to get my car tuned for altitude when I was running a supercharged Mustang in NM. The mail order tuners struggled.

Anyone have good results? For the factory tune, I think the lower fuel requirements at altitude mask alot of the factory lean issues people report. So far, I only get the mild surge/searching at part throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,706 Posts
Lower fuel requirements at altitude are amazing. I know of someone with an FTR that gets 53mpg out of his FTR at altitude at a steady 70-80 mph.

Reactions: Hawkspring

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lower fuel requirements at altitude are amazing. I know of someone with an FTR that gets 53mpg out of his FTR at altitude at a steady 70-80 mph.
but the cost is a 20% loss of power though. Most folks wouldn’t willingly take that trade!

·
Silver member
5,505 Posts
You loose around 3% per 1000ft elevation, nothing you can do about that apart from a turbo or other compressor.

And yes, a tuned FTR runs fine at higher altitudes, just like at sea level. Modern fuel injection compensates for barometric changes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You loose around 3% per 1000ft elevation, nothing you can do about that apart from a turbo or other compressor.

And yes, the FTR runs fine at higher altitudes. Modern fuel injection compensates for barometric changes.
Agree, there is a reason the Turbo Mustang revolution was born in Albuquerque NM. Nothing could touch them at the track up here.

I am just trying to decide if I set aside the idea of getting a tune on it. I am at 7,600’ so it is down on power, but still plenty fun for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts