Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Rider
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking of getting Lloydz 558 cams and one of their ACs.

Have you been happy with them?

I currently only have ACE bomber slip-ons. Still under warranty until April 2021.

Will be getting a PV3 before any other mods but would like to know peoples thoughts on the Lloydz cams and AC.

Debating on which AC to get. I know they make a filter kit to fit the bedpan cover but I do like the Arrowhead cover as well.

As far as cams I am set on the 558 because I want torque lower but I know there are those that will say get the 585.

My bike (in my sig) is a 19 MY. Valve springs should be good to go.

Thanks.

·
Bronze member
2,689 Posts
Once one has determined that there are no issues with their Thunderstroke running the 585's (correct updated valvetrain components, etc) the only reason for 558's is if you want to brag about spending same money for less performance..lol

The 558 powerbands are a subset of the 585's at every point of the RPM band - according to Lloydz own charts. From our data, the 585's do have to be fueled and timed correctly to realize their max capability. This lack of proper tuning is the cause for many 585 charts to be "substandard"... We would not have known this except for a few members that had "renegade" tuners that "did something out of the ordinary" from the cookie-cutter tunes done by most all other tuners..

For many, like me, 585's are not an option without first installing the Stage III kit (In order to get all the upgraded "goodies" - valvetrain, rods, etc)... So my 2016's are stuck at "Stage II" level builds - Which, when done right, can attain 100+ hp / 130+ trq and can/will overstress the stock clutch..

·
Registered
375 Posts
Im running the 558s, Libertyville IPS x-pipe, Indian Hi-Flo A/C and PCV-X tuned by Craigb1960 and I love the set up. Fits my need without being over the top. Don't feel the need to be a stop light dragster, but it scoots when I want it to

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,576 Posts
I have and use their circular open air cleaner with the arrowhead on it. No issues and the chrome is good and shines up good. I have been contemplating taking it to a paint shop or doing something with it to make the arrowhead and or script on it stand out. I will tell you that when you go with one of these you will hear a lot more engine chatter as opposed to the stock air filter. Since I came from a HD it took me a while to get used to the differences of the engines.

·
Rider
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once one has determined that there are no issues with their Thunderstroke running the 585's (correct updated valvetrain components, etc) the only reason for 558's is if you want to brag about spending same money for less performance..lol

The 558 powerbands are a subset of the 585's at every point of the RPM band - according to Lloydz own charts. From our data, the 585's do have to be fueled and timed correctly to realize their max capability. This lack of proper tuning is the cause for many 585 charts to be "substandard"... We would not have known this except for a few members that had "renegade" tuners that "did something out of the ordinary" from the cookie-cutter tunes done by most all other tuners..

For many, like me, 585's are not an option without first installing the Stage III kit (In order to get all the upgraded valvetrain components)... So my 2016's are stuck at "Stage II" level builds - Which, when done right, can attain 100+ hp / 130+ trq and can/will overstress the stock clutch..
Thanks for the very informative post. I understand what you are saying. I don't plan on going 116 and really don't want to go with updated valve springs. I thought that in the 19MY they changed to high lift valve springs?

·
Rider
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im running the 558s, Libertyville IPS x-pipe, Indian Hi-Flo A/C and PCV-X tuned by Craigb1960 and I love the set up. Fits my need without being over the top. Don't feel the need to be a stop light dragster, but it scoots when I want it to

Thank you for the first hand experience with the cam. What are you running for slip-ons? Not that I am really about numbers, but what is your TQ/HP with that setup?

·
Rider
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have and use their circular open air cleaner with the arrowhead on it. No issues and the chrome is good and shines up good. I have been contemplating taking it to a paint shop or doing something with it to make the arrowhead and or script on it stand out. I will tell you that when you go with one of these you will hear a lot more engine chatter as opposed to the stock air filter. Since I came from a HD it took me a while to get used to the differences of the engines.
Thank you for your first hand use. I looked at the round one too. Personally, the arrowhead style appeals to me. Do you think they flow about the same?

·
Founding member / Distinguished
3,599 Posts
I have one of Lloyds big circular air cleaners. Very good quality but I am noticing the air filter media is not holding up after a few years as good as I thought it should. I use the K and N air filter cleaner and rinse it out with hot water and air dry. I have spots were the media is breaking down on the face of the filter. I have dabbed some RTV to close of those areas were the media is coming out but honestly I thought it would have lasted longer than this. We will see how long it holds out before I need to replace it. Dean

Reactions: Dr.D

·
Rider
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Dean for the long use review. Yeah I would think it would hold up better too.

·
3,599 Posts
Thanks Dean for the long use review. Yeah I would think it would hold up better too.
One thing I saw today that really took me the wrong way was a review Lloyds made about testing some new spark plug wires. He made a cheap joke about new valve springs that I took as a slap in the face for the folks that put in his cams that ended up eating up the seats.

Kinda makes me think twice about getting any of his cams in the future. Dean

·
Registered
375 Posts
Thank you for the first hand experience with the cam. What are you running for slip-ons? Not that I am really about numbers, but what is your TQ/HP with that setup?
Indian's stage 2 slipons. And in all honesty I'm not one for numbers. I prefer the hanging on for dear life, wind in my hair, bugs in my teeth seat of your pants feeling. So, in fewer words

·
Rider
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
One thing I saw today that really took me the wrong way was a review Lloyds made about testing some new spark plug wires. He made a cheap joke about new valve springs that I took as a slap in the face for the folks that put in his cams that ended up eating up the seats.

Kinda makes me think twice about getting any of his cams in the future. Dean
Wow. So I guess you are not happy with the products. Was it just the 585 cam or both cams?

·
Rider
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Indian's stage 2 slipons. And in all honesty I'm not one for numbers. I prefer the hanging on for dear life, wind in my hair, bugs in my teeth seat of your pants feeling. So, in fewer words

Thanks for the reply back. Do you mean Stage 1 slip-ons from Indian?

·
Bronze member
1,552 Posts
I have a lot of experience with Lloydz products on Victory and here's what I can add: The cams that he sells are actually S&S cams that he markets. S&S developed them and they build them. Lloyd had nothing to do with them other than market and sell them. This is because S&S helped with the development of the TS111 engine and provide the stock, SII and SIII cams that come with the big bore kit and can't sell any other non-Polaris marketed cams. Hence, they came up with two alternate grinds and Lloyd is their selling partner.

As to the airbox, a fairly well-known tuner has had multiple cases of FOD entering the air intake when using the arrowhead cleaner. Certainly may have been isolated cases as you will likely hear many people on this board reporting no issues.

Bottom line, I would have no issues buying the S&S cams from Lloyd, but would be very wary of any other product he produces.

Reactions: ubiratamuniz

·
Rider
979 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a lot of experience with Lloydz products on Victory and here's what I can add: The cams that he sells are actually S&S cams that he markets. S&S developed them and they build them. Lloyd had nothing to do with them other than market and sell them. This is because S&S helped with the development of the TS111 engine and provide the stock, SII and SIII cams that come with the big bore kit and can't sell any other non-Polaris marketed cams. Hence, they came up with two alternate grinds and Lloyd is their selling partner.

As to the airbox, a fairly well-known tuner has had multiple cases of FOD entering the air intake when using the arrowhead cleaner. Certainly may have been isolated cases as you will likely hear many people on this board reporting no issues.

Bottom line, I would have no issues buying the S&S cams from Lloyd, but would be very wary of any other product he produces.
Thank you for your informative post. I didn't know S&S made the cams for Lloyds. Good to know. I was wondering why S&S didn't market any aftermarket cams for the 111. I remember years ago, maybe 2017 there was talk of S&S cams for the 111. I knew they made the stock and stage 2 cams for Indian.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thank you for your first hand use. I looked at the round one too. Personally, the arrowhead style appeals to me. Do you think they flow about the same?
Seat of my pants only, my 116 Chieftain makes a lot of torque and power with Vic Baggers Venom Pelinum and Libertyville's X.
If you are thinking about 2 pieces that seem made for each other, I can't speak for the Lloyd's A/C but the Venom is much better than the round Stage 2 Indian piece when you get the exhaust to flow.
The bike pulls thru 5th and 6th like it did in 3ed and 4th after the change to Venom.

·
Bronze member
1,689 Posts
The 558's will suit you just fine power/powerband quality wise, and the closing ramps are much more gentle than the 585's which can and mostly do make A LOT of mechanical noise.

RACNRAY

·
3,599 Posts
Wow. So I guess you are not happy with the products. Was it just the 585 cam or both cams?
I think both the 558 and the 585 are both excellent cams. What I was stating with the guys that put in his cams that ended up with top end damage he is simply making light of the issue. Personally I don't think he did enough R and D to determine if these aggressive cams would cause any harm. If he did he would have recommended new valve springs. If you look at his site new he has both seats and valves. Not the case when he first put the cams out. To make light of it in the video in my opinion just thumbs his nose at those people who ending up with damage to their top end or dropped a valve and caused major damage. The new springs correct that but quite a few people had to learn that the hard way. Dean

Reactions: Dr.D
1 - 20 of 68 Posts