Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been frustrated with the amount of sun glare coming from the chrome gas tank console. So I looked around and found a small business owner near me with a hydro dipping company. He can add any graphics you want to the console; carbon fiber, skulls, wood grain, camo. almost anything. For $100.00 plus shipping he does a professional job. The company is called Back Alley Hydro Dipping www.baaccessories.com 605-941-9292. The owners name in Ryan. I'm planningto have him also dip the side panels.
Here is what it looks like: Skulls.JPG Skulls2.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have noticed it several times, mostly when I have the windshield up all the way. That is really cool.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yeah, mine just about blinds me when the sun is just right. Don't know just yet what I'm going to do about it. Have tried some clip on sun glasses, don't work all that great.

·
Founding member / Distinguished
1,956 Posts
That glare is a problem, but one I am prepared to tolerate due to the aesthetics of the chrome. However I was thinking that an appropriately shaped magnetic mat, with a round cut-out for the speedo would be the go. Easy on, easy off. The mat would only be needed for a brief time sometimes, so it needs to be temporary and easy to carry......

Who's gonna make me one?

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
I have no problem with the glare, just part of owning a great bike.

When the sun is at a certain point it blinds my eyes also, pretty sure I just have to deal with it for a few min.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have been frustrated with the amount of sun glare coming from the chrome gas tank console. So I looked around and found a small business owner near me with a hydro dipping company. He can add any graphics you want to the console; carbon fiber, skulls, wood grain, camo. almost anything. For $100.00 plus shipping he does a professional job. The company is called Back Alley Hydro Dipping www.baaccessories.com 605-941-9292. The owners name in Ryan. I'm planningto have him also dip the side panels.
Here is what it looks like: View attachment 748 View attachment 749
So I know it can be a pain on the a$$ but isn't this kind of a cool problem to have?

"Sorry officer the glare on my inch deep chrome was in my eyes."

·
Registered
610 Posts
I had the tank console on my Vintage powder coated a matte black. That took away most of the glare. I still get a little from the chrome ring around the speedometer, gas gauge, and power button, but it is very minor.

Reactions: CharlieAllnutt

·
1,956 Posts
I had the tank console on my Vintage powder coated a matte black. That took away most of the glare. I still get a little from the chrome ring around the speedometer, gas gauge, and power button, but it is very minor.
That's like amputating the limbs off a Pole Dancer and installing prosthetics, so she can hang on longer...... Gulp!

·
Registered
610 Posts
That's like amputating the limbs off a Pole Dancer and installing prosthetics, so she can hang on longer...... Gulp!
Mines not a garage queen, I actually ride my bike, and the glare was very annoying. At times I would have to hold my hand between the console and my eyes. I didn't amputate anything, just changed the color. I have a black Vintage with black leather, the black tank console fits right in.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'll let you know when we have some sun !

·
1,956 Posts
image.jpg

Of course another solution is to stop for lunch as soon as the sun is high enough in the sky to create glare. You then tuck into four double serves of meat pie, and drink a sixpack of warm beer. Needless to say, you do all this very quickly. You then go for a very fast jog before mounting your motorcycle and throwing up on the console. You have now solved the glare problem, and can hose her down when you get home.

This a proven technique developed over many years of riding experience

·
Founding member / distinguished
2,745 Posts
The glare has never really bothered me. I've caught it, but for that brief period of time, I can live without seeing my MFD or speedo. The road always curves soon enough for me...
How about Plasti-Dip?
Lately I have seen a lot of interesting uses for it. I am going to try it on my truck bumpers soon.
For some reason, I like the chrome on my bike, but not on my cars and trucks...

·
Registered
132 Posts
got it done by a guy that does classic car interior restorations close to me in Dade city,fl. $100.00
He even rotozipped a little around the switches so they wouldnt stick on the leather.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts