Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title says it all. I am looking at having the front tire replaced, and the front sensor is starting to intermittently not read. Before I spend $100 on a new sensor, I figured I'd ask if it is warranty-able.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I think I got mine replaced under the extended warranty on my 16. There was a copay of $50.

·
Rider
'17 Springfield, '20 Chieftain
1,437 Posts
I had my front TPMS replaced in March of this year under warranty. My warranty ended in May. It is beginning to act intermittent once again. A couple of weeks ago, I stopped by the dealership and asked if they would cover it under warranty. He checked into it, and said that they would cover the part under warranty if I paid the tire change cost of $69.99. But, when he told me that I would have to leave the bike at the dealership while he ordered the replacement sensor (supposedly that's the store warranty policy), I decided to go a different route.

These are sensors that Indian uses , I got 2 on order for a little over $30.00. Then I ordered this , which is used to activate the TPMS sensor. So my plan is to just replace it on my own, and not be without my bike for a week or so for a cheap part.

I still find it odd that most of the TPMS failures that are reported are more for the front sensor than the rear. My back sensor has always worked flawlessly. When new they work OK, but start diminishing much sooner than they should. Could it be that when new, and the battery strength is at its' best,the transmission distance is optimized, but starts reducing as the internal battery strength weakens. The signal has to be picked up by the VCM, but I haven't figured out where. It may also be an issue with RF interference since the engine is between the front tire and the VCM.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I still find it odd that most of the TPMS failures that are reported are more for the front sensor than the rear. My back sensor has always worked flawlessly.
Looks like I got the short straw as it was the rear that went on mine. It was a headache the day it started to play up as I was out touring for a week and had to stop on the side of the road and lie down in the dirt to get to the valve, only to find it was OK. After the third time in as many hours I ignored it.

One thing to keep in mind if you get your own sensor and have it fitted elsewhere is that the bolt that holds it in is non-standard. It's a hollow breakaway bolt, designed to break off if the sensor gets hit by the bead breaker machine. A normal bolt will fit OK but the sensor might suffer from the clumsiness of a future tire fitter. I think the manual says to start the bead breaker at the valve as the sensor is opposite.

·
Rider
1,437 Posts
Looks like I got the short straw as it was the rear that went on mine. It was a headache the day it started to play up as I was out touring for a week and had to stop on the side of the road and lie down in the dirt to get to the valve, only to find it was OK. After the third time in as many hours I ignored it.

One thing to keep in mind if you get your own sensor and have it fitted elsewhere is that the bolt that holds it in is non-standard. It's a hollow breakaway bolt, designed to break off if the sensor gets hit by the bead breaker machine. A normal bolt will fit OK but the sensor might suffer from the clumsiness of a future tire fitter. I think the manual says to start the bead breaker at the valve as the sensor is opposite.
Hey Doc, you are one of the few that I heard has had a rear sensor fail. Although, given enough time they both should fail. It just ticks me off that these generally easily last more than 6 years in cars, but the Indian ones die so soon.

I have read, as you mentioned, the holding screw is a hollow break away. Hopefully, I won't have any issues reusing the one I remove. Just got to remember to break the bead by the valve stem and then at 90 degrees either side if needed.

Reactions: Dr.Shifty

·
Rider
1,212 Posts
Had my rear sensor replaced under warranty, while the initial warranty was on. I left it till I need a rear tire replacement, and they installed it without having to pay the labor for tire replacement.

·
Bronze member
5,097 Posts
I'd complained about mine for months and each time the bike went in for servicing I complained again. Each time I was told, 'not pumped up to pressure properly'. I pointed out that if the pressure was down it would still give me a number on the display but I was only getting dashes.

I had new tyres put on and complained again, they said they found no fault.

So after that when the fault would happen I'd stop and take pics of the light and the dashes, and when the numbers appeared again I stopped and took pics with the error light still on but the numbers showing good pressure. At last I got the ear of the service manager and went through the pics in order. He authorised a replacement. They could have done it a month earlier when the new tyres went on.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I ordered a new front tire today. Once it gets here, I'm going to contact the dealership and see about making an appointment for the tire replacement and warranty claim for the TPMS sensor, clutch switch, and front chrome strips (again).

·
Original member / Distinguished
5,906 Posts
I had my front TPMS replaced in March of this year under warranty. My warranty ended in May. It is beginning to act intermittent once again. A couple of weeks ago, I stopped by the dealership and asked if they would cover it under warranty. He checked into it, and said that they would cover the part under warranty if I paid the tire change cost of $69.99. But, when he told me that I would have to leave the bike at the dealership while he ordered the replacement sensor (supposedly that's the store warranty policy), I decided to go a different route.

These are sensors that Indian uses , I got 2 on order for a little over $30.00. Then I ordered this , which is used to activate the TPMS sensor. So my plan is to just replace it on my own, and not be without my bike for a week or so for a cheap part.

I still find it odd that most of the TPMS failures that are reported are more for the front sensor than the rear. My back sensor has always worked flawlessly. When new they work OK, but start diminishing much sooner than they should. Could it be that when new, and the battery strength is at its' best,the transmission distance is optimized, but starts reducing as the internal battery strength weakens. The signal has to be picked up by the VCM, but I haven't figured out where. It may also be an issue with RF interference since the engine is between the front tire and the VCM.
I went this route based on another post last year. For the life of me I could not get the sensor to activate with that tool. So I took it to my dealer. He got it to activate but said he too had trouble. But it worked or so I thought. I still get failures(dashes) about 45 minutes into every ride. Sometimes sooner. I don't know if these Chinese sensors are any different than what Indian is using or not. They sure look the same but I wonder. I don't know why I couldn't get it to activate and the dealer had trouble and it still get dashes except that it's a Chinese product.

·
Rider
1,212 Posts
I don't know if heat has anything to do with them.

Last year, while I was on a trip to Mount Rushmore it was hot (98F). My front sensor started acting up during that time. When I got home and the temps were cooler, it never happened again. And has not happened this summer at all. It has not been a hot summer, and have only put on about 6000 kms.

I'm off for a 4000 km trip this weekend, down to southern Ontario, so will see if it starts to act up in the cooler weather.

--
Gordon

·
Rider
1,437 Posts
I went this route based on another post last year. For the life of me I could not get the sensor to activate with that tool. So I took it to my dealer. He got it to activate but said he too had trouble. But it worked or so I thought. I still get failures(dashes) about 45 minutes into every ride. Sometimes sooner. I don't know if these Chinese sensors are any different than what Indian is using or not. They sure look the same but I wonder. I don't know why I couldn't get it to activate and the dealer had trouble and it still get dashes except that it's a Chinese product.
This past weekend I received my activation tool that I referenced above. I am still awaiting the sensors, and probably wont get them for a few weeks. I decided to see if activating the sensors in the garage would turn them on and allow me to get a reading. Sure enough it did. But, since I was already there with the activator in hand, I decided to delete the TPMS information in the VCM and then relink them. That all went smooth. Yesterday on my way to work, then later to lunch, and then back home, the front and rear sensors worked perfect. I’ll be getting a lot more ride time in before the new sensors arrive and will see if the original ones continue to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts