Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
829 Posts
The weak point (of both) is how well the seams stay together. Both will do well ... if they stay together. Also look for the area of coverage by the kevlar/leather.
Here is a pair of Diamond Gusset riding jeans that are 9 - 10 months old. They have Kevlar lining on the impact areas. Knees, hips, butt. The seam failed on the top of the knee of the left pant leg. I spoke to Diamond Gusset today and sent the attached picture to them. They said they would take care of me. We’ll see.

6B98ACF6-D08F-4CE9-8B30-6AFAB1E5C74A.jpeg

·
Bronze member
3,755 Posts
Here's a link to the Draggin site that tells about drag time etc.
There are two Draggin jeans places, one Australian and one US. This is from the Australian site. I don't know how the companies are related - they share the same name but with different logos.

I've had Draggin jeans for many years. They are in good shape with no seams falling apart like in the pic in the previous post.

A major advantage of kevlar over leather is that you get off the bike and have normal looking jeans. Walking around all day in leather bike pants is never going to be as comfortable. Full race suits are OK if you stop for lunch at a biker cafe and get going again (although I've never seen a cruiser rider wearing full leathers), but soon become impractical for touring.

·
Bronze member
3,755 Posts
Here's a bit of funny history. The early advertising for Draggin in Australia had this pic of the guy being dragged by a bike. They used to do this at bike races to demo them to the crowd. The photo was also used on their brochures and swing tags on the jeans.

Then one day somebody pointed out that the bike rider was wearing shorts, no protection whatever. So Draggin chopped the bike out of the photo and only used the guy being dragged in their stuff after that. My Draggins were early enough that I got the full pic on my tag. It's probably put away carefully where I'll never find it again.

·
Silver member
3,433 Posts
Here's a short video of Tabacco jeans - hopefully the video works for you. I would think most Kevlar jeans would provide same or similar protection.
All my riding jeans are kevlar lined; I usually purchase ones from Speed and Strength as that brand seems to fit true for me when other brands don't.

·
Rider
495 Posts
Interesting riding gear and thread, I'm old school, I wear leather chaps. =)
I suppose the are available in Kevlar too

·
Rider
327 Posts
I went down in a corner at about 25 mph in full leather. I hit the ground stuck like glue then released flew about 5-6' then landed again and did not slide or at least that's the way it felt. The only scrap I received was on my right wrist were the gloves did not reach the jacket because it was pulled up from the impact. I might have had road rash on my right hip towards the back where it would have been only jeans but my leatherman case took all that damage for me. I wear leather with no protective pads and I was fine but I don't wear anything but a t-shirt once it gets hot here in Arizona. After reading this thread I am looking into something I can wear when it gets hot as my Thinsulate liner does not zip out. Thanks for all the great info in this thread.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Kevlar coverage differs between different jean types, often in the same brand. Most brands will have some that cover skid zones to try and keep the weight and temp down, others cover everything.

Neither kevlar nor leather are going to do much for impact, that's what the armor in the knees, hips, and tailbone are for.

I'm partial to Klim and Bull-it myself, they have cuts that fit me well. A lot of these jean makers use Europeans designs that either look silly or are fit for people with twig legs :p
so Fuuny yes different brand introduced Kevlar lined Jeans and abrasion-resistance time also different, i have some research then i have found one Brand EndoGear it's has a good material Kevlar lined Jeans and its abrasion-resistance time 9 to 10 second.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
When I had my low side a couple months ago, I was wearing Bull-it jeans with armor and they held up very well. No compromise of the seams or material and the armor did it's job of protecting my hip and knee.

I went down around 15-20 mph and slid for a few seconds.

I was also wearing a leather jacket with shoulder and elbow armor and it held up well also with just some abrasions on the right shoulder. No compromise of the material or seams.
yes during motorcycle riding no compromise and always wear full of safety gear like Kevlar jeans, shirts, hoodies, gloves, armor, etc, EndoGear motorcycle riding apparel material is amazing and best quality.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I have Kevlar lined jeans, and they have knee pads sewn into them. Never was a fan of leather since seeing the leather man with the Village People. I'm going to have pads sewn into the front part of the shin for protection from bouncing rocks and bolts and such. You never know.
Which Brand you have Kevlar lined jeans?

·
Rider
468 Posts
Usually a rule of thumb over in the UK is that any Kevlar jeans themselves (not just the knees or armour) that have a 'CE Approval Rating' and can offer 7 seconds of sliding abrasive protection are a reasonable bet. Draggin' came out tops of the best 5 from an older article.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
that's good, may i ask what is the protect time this Kevlar line jeans means if any case you can drag the road so what is the dragging time? and what is the jeans capacity?
Good question! Slide times depend on a variety of factors and, as this article highlights, times provided by different testing methods provide different results, making comparisons difficult: Single Layer Motorcycle Jeans - Hood Motorcycle Jeans
Personally, I've been using this make for ten years and am so satisfied with their quality and value that, although I've considered other makes, I've never been persuaded that there's a better product elsewhere.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Usually a rule of thumb over in the UK is that any Kevlar jeans themselves (not just the knees or armour) that have a 'CE Approval Rating' and can offer 7 seconds of sliding abrasive protection are a reasonable bet. Draggin' came out tops of the best 5 from an older article.

then next time you can try EndoGear Kevlar lined Jeans is abrasion-resistance time is 9 second the price of prodcuts is low.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Good question! Slide times depend on a variety of factors and, as this article highlights, times provided by different testing methods provide different results, making comparisons difficult: Single Layer Motorcycle Jeans - Hood Motorcycle Jeans
Personally, I've been using this make for ten years and am so satisfied with their quality and value that, although I've considered other makes, I've never been persuaded that there's a better product elsewhere.
ok great if you can use and satisfied actually i have found one brand EndoGear Kevlar jeans even other safety gear with good quality and amazing discounted prices. you can also try these products.

·
Rider
468 Posts
then next time you can try EndoGear Kevlar lined Jeans is abrasion-resistance time is 9 second the price of prodcuts is low.
Would maybe consider them if they had been given CE rating/approval?

"CE marking is a certification mark that indicates conformity with health, safety, and environmental protection standards for products sold within the European Economic Area (EEA). The CE marking is also found on products sold outside the EEA that are manufactured in, or designed to be sold in, the EEA."

Graham the Hood Jeans look good and worthy of trying.

·
Banned
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Would maybe consider them if they had been given CE rating/approval?

"CE marking is a certification mark that indicates conformity with health, safety, and environmental protection standards for products sold within the European Economic Area (EEA). The CE marking is also found on products sold outside the EEA that are manufactured in, or designed to be sold in, the EEA."
it's not a CE approved it's DuPont Kevlar registered products, you can try if you like i would be to you suggest
EndoGear

·
Rider
468 Posts
Lathem you obviously have some association with EndoGear as most of your posts relate to it and even your initial introductory thread was closed down as it was deemed as soliciting business. This is now becoming irksome, please desist from continually force-feeding your products at every opportunity.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.