Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Bronze member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doesn't matter one way or another, but from what I see, it seems to me that there are fewer posts having to do with the Chief Classic (what I have) than pretty much any other Indian model, and I then assume that maybe that’s the least commonly owned Indian model. Thoughts? Again, it’s meaningless, but just what I think I’ve obeserved. Regardless, I think all Indians are great-looking bikes.

·
Founding member
1,744 Posts
I don't know for a fact, but I suspect you're right. The Chief Classic is an expensive bike, and most riders who are nostalgic for that retro look and have the coin to afford one are likely to want to do longer trips, hence the baggers and tourers. Younger folks or people into the heritage but less pure nostalgia are more likely to go for a Scout or Dark Horse.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I love the stripped down look of the Classic. Was really my first choice. In Colorado it's almost a necessity to have some storage on a bike. You just always have to carry "layers" of clothes, especially when going up into the mountains. The Vintage gives me both with the removable bags. However I need to find those little clear plastic protectors so I can change them. Any one know where to get them???

·
Silver member
4,484 Posts
I'd love to have a Classic now that they have chrome controls again, wide white walls, and look great without the bags. I don't like my Springfield naked just because I don't want to see those saddle bag supports on my exhaust pipes!

·
323 Posts
YES, Most folks want some extras and especially bags. If people want the classic they usually end up buying a vintage and take extras off for the Classic look when they want that ride. I have to say riding a Classic or stripped down Vintage is a great ride, and lightest ride. The sound is different due to the pipes not being sheltered by the bags. Fun ride.

·
Rider
865 Posts
In an ideal world, I'd have preferred a Vintage, but the OEM bags don't do it for me. As it is, I ended up with my blue Classic at a pretty good price - she was the previous year's model and the dealer wanted the space for a Dark Horse or two. I bought most of the 'vintage conversion kit' along with her, and added a pair of Boss bags - which I much prefer to the Indian ones, partly for their bomb-proof construction and partly for their appearance and quality.

It's easy to set her up as anything from a stripped-down single-seater to a two-seater bagger with windscreen and sissy bar - the best of all worlds as far as I'm concerned.

The highway bars have proved their worth when I tipped her over when I lost my footing at a junction.

All I need to do is get out and ride more...

EDIT: 'Classic' changed to 'Vintage' in the first sentence.

·
Bronze member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Interesting comments here. The Classic is indeed a stripped-down bike in its basic form but I wasn’t familiar with all the models, and when I saw, loved and bought my Classis, it had the Indian leather bags on it. I’d have wanted them anyway, and I got the last 2016 the dealer had, so he made me an offer I couldn’t refuse (plus, it was white and I love white bikes!). But yes I get that many Classic owners do not have the bags and it makes sense that buyers who want bags might automatically look to another model.

·
Rider
865 Posts
It seems that buying a last-year's Classic at a good price and 'Vintageizing', or 'Springfieldizing' or more, is a path several of us have taken for various reasons.

The registration figures (at How Many Left?) here in the UK show that the Classic seems to be slightly more popular than the Chieftain, but I've not factored in the more recently introduced models. Indians, generally, are as rare as hen's teeth here.

One Jack Daniels special has made it to the UK.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
If you want a bike with the longer steering geometry, the Classic or Vintage are the models available. IMHO, the Vintage is the better deal of the two, just because of the extras you get thrown in that would cost a good bit more than the difference in price (windshield, bags, etc.)--and the two tone options. However, sometimes you can find the right deal and it makes sense to pick the Classic. I see them as basically identical bikes. I really like the stretched out geometry of the Chiefs and the way they soaks up the bumps on the highway, but for others a bit more maneuverability makes a Springfield a better choice.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
I think for most buyers it's the storage that pushes them up to a Vintage or a Springfield. And with the quick release Hard and Soft bags they can strip it down to a non bagger in seconds. I have noticed alot of Classic owners have bought Saddlebags, so I guess they get to the same end result.

·
Bronze member
1,572 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love my Classic and wouldn't traede it! View attachment 375550
Well again, I hope no one has construed my post as a negative comment on Classics at all. I own one and also wouldn’t trade it for anything. I’ve made it my own now and it IS perfect!

5E22C488-CD22-4FC6-B039-6FC9194D2543.jpeg

1 - 20 of 56 Posts