Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

121 - 134 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #121 ·
Still very impressed with the handling in the twisties, even with the stock tires. My work commute is mostly back roads with a lot of 35 and 45 mph curves, very little traffic, only seen a cop twice (HP today ... thank God I was behind a truck waiting to pass 😄 ). The 35 curves are easily done 70+ and 45s still feel okay approaching triple digits. I've knocked 20 mins off my work commute. 😜

Never a hint of losing the rear end as long as I watch the throttle on exit. Very surprising. As soon as I get decent tires on I'm definitely doing a track day with it. It's been quite a few years so I could use a class.

Also still love that it can be a torquey Sunday cruiser staying in the first half of the throttle, or a ripper when accessing the post 5500 rpm afterburner.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 · (Edited)
Seems like it would hang with the crotch rockets on a tight, technical track. They'd eat my lunch on a long straight but I'd catch them again in the corners.

Gotta get the S&S controller to access happy mode before I track it.

Still trying to figure out where I can lose more weight. The tail tidy will take that long plate arm off. But after that and my already minimalist custom exhaust I'm not sure there's much else to do. A full Toce system will get rid of the cat. Not sure how much I'd save, though.

Anyone gone on a lightening trip? It's definitely looking like minimal ROI after exhaust and the plate arm.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Seems like it would hang with the crotch rockets on a tight, technical track. They'd eat my lunch on a long straight but I'd catch them again in the corners.

Still trying to figure out where I can lose more weight. The tail tidy will take that long plate arm off. But after that and my already minimalist custom exhaust I'm not sure there's much else to do. A full Toce system will get rid of the cat. Not sure how much I'd save, though.

Anyone gone on a lightening trip? It's definitely looking like minimal ROI after exhaust and the plate arm.
@ferraiolo1 has probably done the most extreme lightening; lithium battery, Toce exhaust and other odds and ends. Think he’s got it down to like 485~ish wet?

·
Registered
21 Posts

Stock muffler, cat and plate arm is about 22lbs

·
Registered
383 Posts
If you really want to drop some $$$ and some weight, carbon fiber wheels would do a lot.

·
Rider
1,338 Posts
I already have a second bike (that's 175lbs lighter than the FTR1200...)...
;)And I have one 270lbs heavier than Ferraiolo's when his was at 480lbs which makes mine a whopping ballpark 460lbs heavier than your second bike Max!

Where we going with this anyway? 😉😇😎

Oh yes, losing weight.

......Still trying to figure out where I can lose more weight......
Ditch the idea about the luggage rack, ammo cans, brackets etc. would be my advice along with the tallest Powerbronze windscreen you're fitting! ;)

.......My issue is I want the OEM luggage rack, too. So I'm trying to see if I can just use longer bolts to attach the ammo can mounting plate against the rack's attachment plate, and with a stand-off use at least one accessory screw hole so I have three mounting points.
Just wring the throttle and exercise your riding skills a bit more, what could possibly go wrong? Just maybe you bought the wrong bike or expect too much out of it for what it is to keep up with your mates? 🤣

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you really want to drop some $$$ and some weight, carbon fiber wheels would do a lot.
Funny story, a buddy of mine is big into FXRs, the rage for them the last several years has been the BST carbon wheels. He's got an unhealthy obsessions with late 90s/early 00s PM aluminum chicane wheels and buys them any time they come up (Usually only $100 or 2 a piece). He borrowed a friends set of BST carbon wheels and weighed them each (both sets were 17s to fit 180/120s) and guess what? The dirt cheap chicanes where somewhere around half a pound LIGHTER than the BSTs. Obviously, the chicanes are known for being not the heaviest duty aluminum wheels ever made (hence why you see a lot with dings in the rim), but these kind of experiments really open your eyes to what's out there if you are interested in "go", instead of just "show".

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #134 ·
Ditch the idea about the luggage rack, ammo cans, brackets etc. would be my advice along with the tallest Powerbronze windscreen you're fitting! ;)

Just wring the throttle and exercise your riding skills a bit more, what could possibly go wrong? Just maybe you bought the wrong bike or expect too much out of it for what it is to keep up with your mates? 🤣
Oh all that crap will come off before I take it to the track. Will prolly put on a different seat so it's easier to switch butt cheeks.

All my mates ride Road Glides, Road Kings, Ultra Glides and trikes and have never been on a track. I could pull one spark plug and still smoke 'em. 😄

I haven't been on my Road King once since the FTR came home. Haven't had any club runs over six hours and any time The Major wants to ride she takes her Scout. I'm slowly falling in love with the bike.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts