Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

101 - 120 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Another LIKE reiteration ...

Coming home from CLT on the interstate I'm still pleasantly surprised at how comfy it is past 80 mph. I thought it would be hard to hang on in triple digits with the upright stance but it somehow cuts thru the air in a way that makes it unnecessary to lay on the tank.
Oh yea I get that, I’m always telling people who ask that this thing is almost disturbingly comfortable going fast. You expect to get blown off it, but no. Going 85 is as easy as going any other speed. It’s just rock steady and no effort.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 ·
Cold start issue is gone! It was 43F this morning and that usually means I have to hold a bit of throttle till 120F or so, and sometimes have to add throttle on start-up like a carb'd bike if it's in the low 30s. Today it fired right up and ran. The rpms still jumped back and forth from 1500 to 1600 per the latest Indian update, no change. So it was something they did via the flash. Fired it up ... walked away.

Props to Ryan and the guys at Lloydz.

Taking it to my little twisty run later this morning to check out the V6 flash further.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·
Did the local twisty course a few times and am still impressed. Then did a six hour round trip for the club last night/this morning that was mostly four-lane and was still impressed there, too. Starting to love this thing.

Last night in a Tito's induced frenzy me and a brother sketched out a bracket system using the grab handle and passenger peg screw holes to mount ammo cans as saddlebags. That would go perfect with the blacked out Mad Max motif. The only question is whether or not it'd be strong enough to use .50 cal cans or if I'd have to go with M249s. 🤠

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did the local twisty course a few times and am still impressed. Then did a six hour round trip for the club last night/this morning that was mostly four-lane and was still impressed there, too. Starting to love this thing.

Last night in a Tito's induced frenzy me and a brother sketched out a bracket system using the grab handle and passenger peg screw holes to mount ammo cans as saddlebags. That would go perfect with the blacked out Mad Max motif. The only question is whether or not it'd be strong enough to use .50 cal cans or if I'd have to go with M249s. 🤠
You can use the grab handle holes or the accessory holes under the handles (if you want to keep the handles) and the pegs will definitely support bags...The only real thing you have to worry about is clearing the exhaust on the right side.

2.5k on mine without a problem

20210116_213331.jpg 20210117_113749.jpg

·
Registered
383 Posts

I know there was a post awhile back where somebody fabbed up their own brackets and mounted cans to it. Looked pretty well done actually.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #106 ·
I saw that post, think it was 'Mark'? The plate idea is perfect and I'm now trying to use that.

My issue is I want the OEM luggage rack, too. So I'm trying to see if I can just use longer bolts to attach the ammo can mounting plate against the rack's attachment plate, and with a stand-off use at least one accessory screw hole so I have three mounting points. Lotsa homework to do. I need access to an FTR with the luggage rack attached to get some measurements.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I installed the SW Moto bag mount with the factory luggage rack.Just cut the thickness of the moto mount off the mounting tubes of the rack,had some flanged bushings made up so the clamping force would be spread rather than just the tubing ends on the flat mount.Been working great.Also had to go to M Moto turn signals as the factory ones were to long.

·
Rider
1,338 Posts
................ So I'm trying to see if I can just use longer bolts to attach the ammo can mounting plate against the rack's attachment plate.......
Cant see why this isn't feasible. The rack bolts are recessed and they would have to be quite a bit longer to make it work but may compromise strength due to the longer length and the added weight you want to hang off them perhaps?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
I'm for sure gonna have to use the strongest bolts I can find. But I'm hoping with three mounting points I can use .308 cans. The 556 cans are tiny.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I know there was a post awhile back where somebody fabbed up their own brackets and mounted cans to it. Looked pretty well done actually.
I think that was me. Here is my post:

FFR Mounting Plates

I can't believe how useful these are. I feel they could hold about any weight of luggage that you might want. Easy to mount anything, even soft bags with an inside plate to give some backside rigidity and sandwich between the plates. Very strong and rigid.

I wanted them lower than the seat, although you could go higher.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
So I talked to my club brother with the machine shop and we're gonna work up a plate and a stand-off to mount ammo cans. I learned, however, that I the Aeromach tail tidy uses the accessory holes. So now I have to wait till I can get the luggage rack and the tail tidy done before doing the cans. Due to finances it's gonna take a while. :(

Another LIKE ...

I'm finding I often just cruise around with the wife unit, go on a club run, or take a lazy morning ride to the beach, keeping the revs under 5000 and the bike is totally happy there. And the torque means less gear changes when just putting around. Then when I want to play I access the BEAST MODE that occurs after 5500 rpm and it's a totally different animal. It's like two different bikes. It's kind of a Swiss Army Knife of motorcycles. :love: I still wanna hit some dirt roads before a tire switch. I think that will be a blast, too.

Wringing out a Buell, a Street Triple, or an FTR is the most fun I've had since I quit flying. I used to be a part-time corporate and charter pilot and also leased a Cessna 150 Aerobat to play on and time-build. I miss it. But having a pseudo crotch rocket again kinda makes up for it. :D A very different kind of fun than cruising on my Road King or Dynas.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I haven’t flown in a decade, now I’m on the dark side (management). I miss it something fierce, but it sounds like your guys hours are probably orders of magnitude more than mine. I need to get current and go do some pattern work one of these days just to scratch the itch. It’s hard to beat the feeling of a well executed flare!

·
Registered
383 Posts
You guys are doing it wrong, you need friends that own airplanes and will let you borrow their planes because they don't fly as much as they should :LOL:

That negates the expense of owning/renting

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #116 ·
You guys are doing it wrong, you need friends that own airplanes and will let you borrow their planes because they don't fly as much as they should :LOL:

That negates the expense of owning/renting
I did have that hook-up for a while. An ER Doc I worked with didn't have his IR so I got to go flying when he needed to get somewhere and it was IFR. He had a late model Piper Archer that was fun to bang around in.

I haven't been current in a long time and may have an issue even getting a class 3 medical now. Last paid flight was right seat an Eclipse Jet to Puerto Rico in 2009. AP was inop so they had to pay me to tag along. No type rating, so no TOs or landings, but I got to hand-fly once we were at altitude. Most all my paid time was Barons and King Airs. Mostly right seat.

I actually started to move to it fulltime but the 2007 recession put 1000s of guys on the street. Then last year I thought about getting current again cuz anyone with a commercial multi and a pulse was getting picked up and salaries were relatively higher than at any other time since the 60s. And then Covid hit ... thousands on the street again. Glad I didn't spend the money. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
103 Posts
You ain’t kidding @Phlipper , ATP’s can’t buy a break. I almost think they should change the saying to “The only things certain in life are death and airline pilot jobs being a crapshoot.”

·
Registered
164 Posts
So I talked to my club brother with the machine shop and we're gonna work up a plate and a stand-off to mount ammo cans. I learned, however, that I the Aeromach tail tidy uses the accessory holes. So now I have to wait till I can get the luggage rack and the tail tidy done before doing the cans. Due to finances it's gonna take a while. :(
There is a lot of information and pictures it my link above. Hope that helps with your design. Looking forward to seeing it. The materials were really minimal in costs. I used leftover aluminum from other projects. Time is the big investment in this.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I did have that hook-up for a while. An ER Doc I worked with didn't have his IR so I got to go flying when he needed to get somewhere and it was IFR. He had a late model Piper Archer that was fun to bang around in.

I haven't been current in a long time and may have an issue even getting a class 3 medical now. Last paid flight was right seat an Eclipse Jet to Puerto Rico in 2009. AP was inop so they had to pay me to tag along. No type rating, so no TOs or landings, but I got to hand-fly once we were at altitude. Most all my paid time was Barons and King Airs. Mostly right seat.

I actually started to move to it fulltime but the 2007 recession put 1000s of guys on the street. Then last year I thought about getting current again cuz anyone with a commercial multi and a pulse was getting picked up and salaries were relatively higher than at any other time since the 60s. And then Covid hit ... thousands on the street again. Glad I didn't spend the money. :ROFLMAO:
I always liked to say it’s never too late to get current and go bang around the pattern a bit. I’m not airline myself but I have plenty of friends that are. I wouldn’t be surprised if the hiring situation is pretty close to pre-covid by the end of the year. Shoot if you were local I’d take you up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
Working in EMS now makes flying again practically impossible. We're paid crap here in the Southeast. Last year we were looking at my wife's unused portion of her GI Bill to get current and finish the commercial multi. I flew right seat paid for a couple of years, billed as Aviation Services. Even flew left seat on empty legs with my primary corp gig. If the PIC was still a CFI I logged dual received. Was very very lucky meeting the right guy, could leave the office anytime on short notice, and I worked my ass off. So word got around and I was first call for a right seat stiff when client or owner requested it. Built around 850 hrs total time and learned a TON. I sure miss it. Lots of memories. Like the first time I hand-flew the King Air, from GSO to Charleston, SC. Porpoising all the way. Busted altitude several times. 😜 Just not badly enough to get the "I have a number for you to call ..." from ATC. Lol.

@Bart Carter
On the ammo can plates ... can't thank you enough for the info. Pretty slick. Because the luggage rack is out of stock everywhere and I'd need it to stop the slinging mud and rain once the tail tidy is on, I decided to go ahead and work on the plates and ammo cans. I'll just have to go to longer bolts and shorter stand-offs when I eventually put the rack and license plate holder on.

101 - 120 of 134 Posts