Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

81 - 100 of 134 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
I was wondering about Sport Mode being permanently activated via bench flash and was gonna call tomorrow. I'm taking the bike there Thursday morning when I get off shift since my station is only about 40 mins away. They said they can flash it while I wait. I'm gonna watch the video tonight on removal and pack the tools on the bike to pull it while I wait for them to open.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Further details would be greatly appreciated. I can't find a video anywhere or written instructions. I packed my tool kit in the ruck.

·
Rider
1,316 Posts
And I like that it's easy to power the front up in first and second, despite the longer than sportbike wheel base. I've got the S&S controller on the radar to have access to Sport mode, but wanna try to ride one in Sport mode first. It may be overkill. I've already wheelied a few times when I wasn't intending to. Easily controllable ... but can be startling. Sport mode may be a waste, considering I'm old, have cancer, and no longer do track days.
I'm old, never really did track days, and I wish you the best of recovery. Sport mode is the best, even if you are mostly a commuter, like I am.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The Street Triple, Buell, and Monster rear brakes were way better. More feel. More effective. Purposely neutering the rear brakes isn't going to make up for bad technique. Everyone who rides on the street should attend at least a couple track days.
Thats funny because I've owned all of those bikes (and then some) and feel like the rear brakes are (were) exactly the same (if not worse) than the FTRs...hard to agree on something like "Feel", I guess.

·
Bronze member
2,246 Posts
Further details would be greatly appreciated. I can't find a video anywhere or written instructions. I packed my tool kit in the ruck.
It’s all in your owners manual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 Indian FTR 1200 S
492 Posts

The rest is for airfilter replacement, but it still shows how to remove the airbox cover.

ECU is on the right side. Should be self explanatory from there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 · (Edited)
Yeah how did ya miss that?

Not sure what you're smoking, but there is nothing about the ECU in the Owner's Manual. The SERVICE MANUAL page just posted shows it, but not the OM. So I missed cuz it isn't there. Nor is there a sentence saying "it's behind this" in the OM.

Thanks BG, appreciate the help. Printed it off.,

·
Bronze member
2,246 Posts
Oh I figured a plastic clip to remove it would be self explanatory once you were in there after removing the other stuff. Lloydz also has an instruction sheet I built for them with pics hey could have sent you as well.

·
Rider
1,338 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Took pictures in Lloydz parking lot this morning of the tools and the process to post up for the next guy doing it. They're blurry cuz the temp was 13F cooler than forecast and I wasn't dressed for it. So I was shivering.

Just got home about 1430hrs finally. Been awake since 0300 Wednesday morning.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 · (Edited)
Initial observations after 3 hrs on the road with V6 Bench Flash ...

1. The guys at Lloyds were awesome. From the desk guy to the parts guy to the wrench who came outside and squared me away on a couple details I was missing on the tear down. There were also two very attractive young ladies who were welcoming and knowledgeable. They even graciously put up with my bitching about Polaris. Did I mention I was hypothermic and had been up since 0300 Wednesday? Between my frustration with Polaris, frostbite, cancer, and the gaping hole in my chest hurting I was a wee bit whiney. They took it all in stride. They waited till I left to call me ten kinds of MF. :ROFLMAO:

2. Very quick service. They're swamped but still made time for me.

3. On start-up the engine bucked and burbled and kept moving from 1500 to 1800 rpm. Like it was searching for the right revs till it hit 120F. Did this again when I stopped to eat 1.5 hrs later, but settled down this time within 60 seconds.

4. The send-you-thru-the bars engine braking was cut in half. I've been kinda digging the engine braking and figured I'd never replace the brake pads before I trade it in on a 2022 FTR Base in a couple years. Now I'll need pads. :(

5. Fully warmed to 170F it is noticeably smoother. And I never experienced any of the stuttering nor stammering I'd often get out of nowhere.

6. Decel popping reduced at least 70%.

7. The slight off-idle torque hit I took after installing a straight pipe is fixed.

8. The engine feels a little snappier. Especially noticed it once the post-5000 rpm afterburner kicks in. The power increase won't set the world on fire. But it's noticeable. Guys with access to Sport Mode might notice a bigger improvement in snap. Dunno.

9. Did I mention the guys at Lloyds are awesome? No one else will touch my bike under the extended warranty, even if I have to push it to CLT. I packed my road tool kit to work and pulled the ECU in the parking lot. Ryan was totally cool with that and as I mentioned a tech even came out to clear a couple things up for me. No one does that anymore. Awesome service.

More to follow this weekend. Including process pics.

Oh ... and a huge THANK YOU! to the member here who provided info privately on the pull process (and everything else FTR related). Next time I'm in Catford UK I'll hit ya up and first round's on me. The UK isn't that big ... I'll come to where ever you beez.

I'm gonna return the favor by posting a step-by-step with pics, to avoid confusion for the next guy who has to mail his ECU in or wants to save $110.

·
Bronze member
2,246 Posts
If you buy the flash. Lloydz sends you instructions on how to remove the ecu, i did all the pics for them.

But awesome to hear you’re happy with it! I haven’t heard a negative review about v6.

Did you request he make it act like it’s in sport mode?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 · (Edited)
I actually asked them about the ECU removal guide and neither the desk guy nor the parts guy knew what I was talking about.

But someone had graciously provided some digital material that made it easy, except for one part, which one of the mechanics came out and clarified for me.

Any chance you could post the guide here? Maybe in a sticky?

And no, didn't ask for Sport mode. Thought about it and decided the S&S controller is a better option for me. I commute 4 hrs round trip for work year round, rain or shine. And I have long road trips with the club quite often. Been on motorcycles since I was old enough to handle a Honda 50 and on Harleys since 1982. I hate riding a cage. I'm kinda weird. My wife, who's been riding 20+ years, thinks I'm nuts. Even my brothers shake their head and laugh at me sometimes about my ride preference. So having access to Standard and Rain Modes when it's pissing and cold may be a very good thing.

The FTR is stupid fast but very controllable under 5500 rpm. But it's so torquey off idle that it get sideways quickly in the rain. I think that may still be an issue once I get street tires on it, though of course the current shoes make it worse.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Another LIKE reiteration ...

Coming home from CLT on the interstate I'm still pleasantly surprised at how comfy it is past 80 mph. I thought it would be hard to hang on in triple digits with the upright stance but it somehow cuts thru the air in a way that makes it unnecessary to lay on the tank. Just a slight tuck is all I need. It's gonna be awesome with a tall-ish shield.

And speaking of speed ... it's very cool that I can be cruising at 100 and when I whack the throttle it takes off again. Literally jumps. Love this motor. Reminds me a whole lot of the Buell, even though the Buell started wheezing a bit at 110 - 115. If I was healthy I'd definitely take it to a track day. The gearing seems perfect for the track. On twisties I found I could be lazy and shift far less than on the Street Triple or the Buell.

81 - 100 of 134 Posts