Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 138 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
The plan is to get the dealer to at least pay part of the Ryans flash. That's where they send all their ECU work.

Or do the PV3 thing. From reading there doesn't seem to be a ton of difference. Both will fix the fueling issues

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Still no word yet on what my dealer will be able to do with the fueling. Hopefully by the time I'm back from work Saturday they'll have a plan that I can work with. I'm ready to put some street tires on that thing and see what it'll really do.

I do find it interesting that my wife's Scout ABS was perfect from day one. She traded her Victory Bagger in on one a year ago and we love it. I've done a ton of work on it the past month, adding a bunch of parts and stuff that she wanted. I've been riding the hell out of it and it is the reason I even considered an Indian, initially. I absolutely love that thing. Same displacement as my Sportster 1200 but 30 more HP and you can feel it. Very linear power delivery, corners on rails, very fast for what it is. I'd never trade my Road King in on one but I can definitely see adding a Scout to my stable in the next couple years. The newest ones are 100 HP! If the new Chief Bobbers are as awesome as the Scouts I may trade my RK in on one and wind up with an all Indian fleet. Would be first time in 38 years with no HD in the stable. One thing is for certain ... my local Indian dealer has done me better than Harley MoCo ever has.

Polaris has impressed me over the past couple years. Hope they impress me on the FTR ... eventually. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
23 Posts
The plan is to get the dealer to at least pay part of the Ryans flash. That's where they send all their ECU work.

Or do the PV3 thing. From reading there doesn't seem to be a ton of difference. Both will fix the fueling issues
If you have the ah2 load from the factory and want Ryan's tune, your only choice is to send in your ECM for the v6 bench tune. At least with Ryan's stuff, the pv3 won't work on an ah2 bike. If you didn't know, just trying to save you the aggravation. I purchased my bike right after the ah2 was introduced and was reassured by my dealer that my bike was never updated, as well as by lloydz that I had the original tune (per the indian computer and my VIN). There is no way to tell other than plugging in the PV3, downloading the stock tune and checking the file name. When I did that, I was dismayed to see that I did, in fact have the ah2 tune. Lloydz was good enough to allow me to return my PV3 in exchange for the V6 tune, though. Further complicating matters, I did not plan on tuning my bike (or adding the racefit exhaust) until I was out of warranty, which is still a ways off. My bike has had zero cold start or stalling issues since I passed 1K miles (at 7k now). LLoydz assured me that would do the change out at a later time, no problem, but I'm not sure I want to leave it hanging out there for a year plus so I may just do it this summer, I haven't decided yet.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I have the latest factory update - it idles at 1550 on start up. I read that FM now has a PV3 map that plays nice with the latest factory update?

My dealer appeared to prefer Ryans V6 flash. But if I have to pay for it .... the $100 price diff and down time for sending the ECU to CLT is a consideration. If they're willing to split it the V6 flash will get the nod.

·
Rider
1,351 Posts
Things to consider perhaps?

With FM you get a lifetime map support with Ryan you don't apparently. Change anything or you're not happy just e-mail them for an update.

In the event your bench flash gets overwritten or you have issues you have then got extra down time sending your ECU away again for another bench flash.

For those of us that live farther afield the points above are prime factors not to go with Ryan, shipping one's ECU across the Atlantic and waiting for it to return is not a prospect to relish, but things may be easier for you on Your Side of the Pond.

·
Bronze member
2,253 Posts
You do get lifetime support from Ryan, for when you change exhausts and what not.

Ah2 hasn’t gotten across the pond, so sending in ecus is a non issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Rider
1,351 Posts
You do get lifetime support from Ryan, for when you change exhausts and what not.
Free service? Or do you have to pay? Also I may be mistaken but if you're not happy with the map they send you how do they rectify it if they don't do 'logged rides?'

·
Bronze member
2,253 Posts
Free if you’re using the pv3. They just send you a revised map with tweaks based off your concerns. I’ve had 5 different maps, based on my various exhaust configurations.

If it’s the ecu flash. I think you pay a small fee to change the tune in it. Which is normal with any company that flashes ecus.

·
Rider
1,351 Posts
.....If it’s the ecu flash. I think you pay a small fee to change the tune in it. Which is normal with any company that flashes ecus.......
Thanks Ferraiolo,

My point was with the bench flash shipping it 11,000 miles together with the downtime of the bike, cost and perhaps risk with loss or delays involved precludes those on this Side of the Pond from using this service from a practical point of view perhaps? I certainly wouldn't unless I could get a spare ECU at reasonable cost to clone and nail the existing details and tune into? Believe the FTR ECU's are quite expensive?

·
Bronze member
2,253 Posts
Your side of the pond doesn’t have ah2 so it’s a non issue.

He still offers pv3s and emailed tunes

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Well this isn't ending well ... gave 'em too much credit.

Even though I bought the extended warranty, prepaid service, and prepaid maintenance everything except tires, when I called to get my 500 miles done Thursday was told 4 week wait on appts. But they said Saturday is a first come first serve day. So I dropped it off Thursday and was told I'd be first in line for Saturday. I wrote a long very descriptive note (left on the bike) about the fueling issues and especially the rolling shutoff. Then went over what I'd wrote with the service manager and another of the service guys. Also took great pains to point out where they could find more info on these symptoms in the two FTR forums. So you think I'd be covered. Especially since this is the fourth bike I've bought there since 2017. Nooooooooo ...

Called today at 1330 and was told "Yeah, ummmm he just put it up on the lift." What happened to "you'll be first in line for Saturday for the service and to have the fueling issue looked at."? It gets better ...

Called back just now and was told service still not done, but that the tech took it for a test ride and experienced the rolling shut-off and he says it's "something in the clutches". So I'm like WTF?!?

So they are "tearing into the clutch" Tuesday when they come back to work and will call Polaris to see what can be done. Hopefully I'll get the service I already paid for and someone will click to the real problem. I explained that the symptoms are exactly those I read online that have only been solved by fixing the fueling with aftermarket assistance. Silence.

Crap like this is why I have done my own work for almost 40 years. As long as I don't have to split cases or chase a weird electrical gremlin I handle my own. These kids are clueless, despite me spoon-feeding the clues.

So here's hoping my beautiful and perfect bobbed Sportster is still down there somewhere. I have a feeling me and my attorney are gonna wind up getting this deal undone. And that's a shame. I could really love the FTR if it ran safely.

·
Rider
1,351 Posts
Relying on the Mothership to come up with a solution is not a good thing when it comes to FTR fueling. They still haven't sorted it in the best part of two years on the 2019 bikes. It is a damn shame you appear to be heading down the 'point of principle' route when the very same forums you pointed the dealership to you yourself have decided to do nothing about it.

Just pay the money, get your tune either bench flashed or programmed via a PV3 and enjoy it. You are about to dive deeper into a world of frustration instead.

Reactions: bgillen35

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Oh it's definitely getting a Lloyds ECU flash. But if I can let them piddle a bit and talk to Indian and eventually offer to split the costs on it that'll be ideal. I work in EMS so I am, of course, broke. :cautious:

The down time is no biggie cuz I can't ride much right now due to surgery. My Road King is on the lift for Spring maintenance so I've been using the OL's Scout to bang around town and run errands. I really like that little thing. The Bobber models with 100 hp (at crank) but lighter than my wife's ABS are, I imagine, even more of a blast. I could see owning a Bobber one day.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 · (Edited)
Just checked in ... they still haven't done ANYTHING, including the 500 mile service, which was supposed to have been done Saturday morning. They are always "waiting on a call from Polaris". They ignored all the info I gave them and pointed them here and to LLoydz for more detailed info. Told them to get my service done and I'll take it to Lloydz myself when I come off shift. Mother of Christ. SMH.

Update ... got an appointment at Lloydz when I get off shift next Thursday for the ECU flash.

That is ... assuming they actually have my service done by then. :mad:

·
Rider
1,351 Posts
Oh it's definitely getting a Lloyds ECU flash. But if I can let them piddle a bit and talk to Indian...........
Have they not done what you expected? And piddled about a bit they have, obviously! 😎

Reactions: R. Warshawsky
21 - 40 of 138 Posts