Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Apple Warns Vibrations Like Those From High-Power Motorcycle Engines Can Harm iPhone Cameras

10K views 88 replies 47 participants last post by  masspatriot 
#1 ·
#5 ·
Same here, inexpensive Garmin mounted to the bars. LS52, or maybe the 50... I forgot. I had it mounted on my Road King then swapped it over to my Vintage. 5 years old and still working as it should.

+ $1,000 iphones have no place in my world ;)

#4 ·
Its not just apple, the latest smartphones in the past couple of years have new cameras and are very sensitive vibration. Many of the phone holders for motorcycles have fine print divulging this and they are not responsible for and vibrational damage. Older phones were not as susceptible.

#8 ·
I had a Tackform phone mount that I used on my Springfield for a couple of years that worked great and I had no failures with my Iphones while using it. However, that bike had absolutely zero vibrations in the bars. My Chieftain has a few vibes around 2500 rpms that could have possibly created an issue. I liked the Tackform so much when I had my Springfield that a few of my riding buddies got them as well and they did have a few iphone cameras develop the lens shake issue. Since I use RC on my Chieftain, and wirelessly connect my phone, I just leave it in my pocket all the time and no longer have this worry. My friends that had the Tackforms have since changed to QuadLock mount with the vibration dampener and have not had any failures since.

#11 ·
Tackform makes great stuff.

They have had this warning on their site for about a year and a half.

NOTICE: iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro Users
Recent consumer complaints related to Apple’s iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro cameras have become increasingly frequent on Apple's support portal and other tech-related media channels. Users are reporting failures with the new camera systems, found on the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro stemming from vibrations associated with mounting iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro on ATVs, Mountain Bikes, Off-Road vehicles, and Motorcycles.
As a precautionary measure, we specifically encourage users of the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro to avoid mounting these on their bikes.

#16 ·
In mid July we rode 1k+ miles out to S.D. on the evening of our arrival I went to take some picks of Deadwood and to my surprise my camera (I-phone XR) was very jittery, wouldn’t focus. The only way I could take pictures was in slow mode setting and take stills while recording. The phone was in my right glove box of my 2020 Challenger. Pretty sure the vibration is what caused my camera problems. Phone replaced for 700$ ouch.

#17 ·
Killed the cameras on an iPhone XR and XS on the Scout. Thinking maybe the lower revving TS engines don't cause the problem. I didn't have a problem until I started riding on the highway to work regularly.

Currently use the damaged XR in my Tackform mount. The replacement XS stays in my pocket. I had thought of trying to retrofit the Quadlock vibration dampener, but have no desire to test it with the XS. If Tackform is working on one, may wait to see what they come up with.

Love the Tackform mount by the way. Very stable and easy to use one handed.

#40 ·
Killed the cameras on an iPhone XR and XS on the Scout. Thinking maybe the lower revving TS engines don't cause the problem. I didn't have a problem until I started riding on the highway to work regularly.

Currently use the damaged XR in my Tackform mount. The replacement XS stays in my pocket. I had thought of trying to retrofit the Quadlock vibration dampener, but have no desire to test it with the XS. If Tackform is working on one, may wait to see what they come up with.

Love the Tackform mount by the way. Very stable and easy to use one handed.
I’ve used the QuadLock w/ isolation mount along with my 12Pro on the FTR all year and I can report no issues.

#25 ·
My wonderful Ride Command (ahem) switches from recognizing my tunes on Bluetooth to USB — so having the iPhone mounted on my handlebars is a must. That way I can just reach over and swap out the source, restart if needed, etc. You can do some of those things from RC but some you’ve gotta do it at the source (ie from the iPhone). My photos have been increasingly blurry — now I know why. I use a pixelmator app to sharpen my photos but it can only do so much…

#30 ·
Carrying it your pocket or saddlebag will not produce the high-frequency vibration that will kill the stabilizer in the camera. It’s specifically from mounting on the bars.
Never had an issue using the Tackform on my Roadmaster. Used the Tackform on my FTR killed (2) cameras in short order. I installed the QuadLock with the isolator and have no problems since.

#33 ·
I have used a track form on my 15 Chieftain since June of last year, Mostly for the WAZE Map but still attached to the bike. I can see the maps and so far no issues here I have the 12 in a pelican case that in itself has some vibration dampening. But no issues so far. Around 8000 miles using the track form. To and from Sturgis from East texas and to and from Ft Payne AL along with every day rides.

#37 ·
When my issues first started, the phone would struggle to focus. At the end, it would just make a buzzing noise and never focus. Phone was perfect other than that. I had it on my 05 VTX 1800. There was quite a bit of vibration in the handlebars where it was mounted. My Challenger isn't nearly as bad.

I did a bunch of research and the only company that seemed to have a halfway decent vibration isolator was Quadlock so I went that way. I actually like the case now so it's not been a big deal. I also ended up with wireless charging which has been nice as well. It can't keep up with full usage but is close.

#38 ·
lol just went thru 3 phones last week. so that's neat. Rokform killed them, rode for over a year with no issue using the Ciro mount... one of which was activated on thursday, rode to work and it was dead by the time i got there.

#43 ·
Mounted my iPhone 8 to the handlebars on my 2017 Scout. No vibration problems, but the engine RPMs send lines across the screen. Also the sound is messed up by the ignition (up and down with the RPMs). Weird, but I don't need the phone for movies of my rides.

#44 · (Edited)
Putting the phone in my Challenger’s glovebox to use CarPlay broke the camera on my iPhone XS Max 3 times. Have a 12 Pro Max now, and I use a wireless dongle so the phone doesn’t have to touch the bike, and it works.

Happy to see Apple making a public warning, and now I’m looking forward to a meaningful solution (new type of case or something) from Apple and the motorcycle manufacturers. 🤷‍♂️ Warnings are nice, but when you sell $30k touring bikes with CarPlay, and the phone has to be physically plugged in/stored in the bike to use it, warnings are the beginning not the end of the story.✌

I have lots of thoughts about this experience. Feel free to take a look, and my recommendation is be loud about it with Indian and Apple. I think they’re both good companies that want to sell great products. But it always helps for them to know people want a solution. 🤷‍♂️

Oh, and 5700 miles on a Scout with a Ram X Mount, and 11000 miles on a Chieftain (glove box), and I never had a problem with that XS Max. 🤷‍♂️

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.