Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Scout Sixty ABS
234 Posts
I like to see the map for my GPS
Probably best to use it a dedicated GPS then. I use navigation with turn-by-turn audio directions in my helmet headset, that way I can focus on the road 100%

·
Administrator
17,884 Posts
My wonderful Ride Command (ahem) switches from recognizing my tunes on Bluetooth to USB — so having the iPhone mounted on my handlebars is a must. That way I can just reach over and swap out the source, restart if needed, etc. You can do some of those things from RC but some you’ve gotta do it at the source (ie from the iPhone). My photos have been increasingly blurry — now I know why. I use a pixelmator app to sharpen my photos but it can only do so much…

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just switched to IPhone after years of only using androids with no problems. I don’t like having distractions so not using a mount won’t be a problem. Definitely good to know this though. Thanks for posting

·
Bronze member
2,163 Posts
In mid July we rode 1k+ miles out to S.D. on the evening of our arrival I went to take some picks of Deadwood and to my surprise my camera (I-phone XR) was very jittery, wouldn’t focus. The only way I could take pictures was in slow mode setting and take stills while recording. The phone was in my right glove box of my 2020 Challenger. Pretty sure the vibration is what caused my camera problems. Phone replaced for 700$ ouch.
I had my camera module replaced at the Apple Store for $100.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Probably best to use it a dedicated GPS then. I use navigation with turn-by-turn audio directions in my helmet headset, that way I can focus on the road 100%
not a problem anymore. What is already broken can't be broken again.

·
Founding Member
719 Posts
I carry my old iPad Air(I know, not a phone) in the saddle bags, never a problem.

·
Bronze member
2,163 Posts
Carrying it your pocket or saddlebag will not produce the high-frequency vibration that will kill the stabilizer in the camera. It’s specifically from mounting on the bars.
Never had an issue using the Tackform on my Roadmaster. Used the Tackform on my FTR killed (2) cameras in short order. I installed the QuadLock with the isolator and have no problems since.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger...Sandstone Smoke
489 Posts
Isn't that why you pay the extra $10 a month for warranty/ Insurance on your phone
IMO isn't this what Apple Care is for...I'll continue to use my handlebar Trackform mount with my iphone

·
Bronze member
1,254 Posts
I have used a track form on my 15 Chieftain since June of last year, Mostly for the WAZE Map but still attached to the bike. I can see the maps and so far no issues here I have the 12 in a pelican case that in itself has some vibration dampening. But no issues so far. Around 8000 miles using the track form. To and from Sturgis from East texas and to and from Ft Payne AL along with every day rides.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,542 Posts
I killed the camera on a Pixel 2 with my Ciro3D mount. On my new phone I got a quad lock with their vibration isolator. So far I've got over 7k miles with no issues with the camera.

·
Bronze member
2,163 Posts
IMO isn't this what Apple Care is for...I'll continue to use my handlebar Trackform mount with my iphone
Who needs the hassle?
But I do prefer the clamp style of the Tackform over swapping out the case to use the QuadLock.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Mine won't focus on over 2x zoom. I'm blaming my Harley.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger
1,542 Posts
When my issues first started, the phone would struggle to focus. At the end, it would just make a buzzing noise and never focus. Phone was perfect other than that. I had it on my 05 VTX 1800. There was quite a bit of vibration in the handlebars where it was mounted. My Challenger isn't nearly as bad.

I did a bunch of research and the only company that seemed to have a halfway decent vibration isolator was Quadlock so I went that way. I actually like the case now so it's not been a big deal. I also ended up with wireless charging which has been nice as well. It can't keep up with full usage but is close.

·
Drag me down and let me burn forever!
2016 Chief DH Stage II
790 Posts
lol just went thru 3 phones last week. so that's neat. Rokform killed them, rode for over a year with no issue using the Ciro mount... one of which was activated on thursday, rode to work and it was dead by the time i got there.

·
Bronze member
2,163 Posts
Killed the cameras on an iPhone XR and XS on the Scout. Thinking maybe the lower revving TS engines don't cause the problem. I didn't have a problem until I started riding on the highway to work regularly.

Currently use the damaged XR in my Tackform mount. The replacement XS stays in my pocket. I had thought of trying to retrofit the Quadlock vibration dampener, but have no desire to test it with the XS. If Tackform is working on one, may wait to see what they come up with.

Love the Tackform mount by the way. Very stable and easy to use one handed.
I’ve used the QuadLock w/ isolation mount along with my 12Pro on the FTR all year and I can report no issues.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts