Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
I’ve heard that. I don’t mount my iphone. I bought an inexpensive (refurbished) Garmin. If it gets damaged or even falls off (😂) … no big deal … it was $100 … now if my $1000 iPhone suffered the same fate … that would be a big deal …

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Apple care + “now this looks like a job for me!”

·
Bronze member
4,585 Posts

Its not just apple, the latest smartphones in the past couple of years have new cameras and are very sensitive vibration. Many of the phone holders for motorcycles have fine print divulging this and they are not responsible for and vibrational damage. Older phones were not as susceptible.

·
Silver member
5,191 Posts
I’ve heard that. I don’t mount my iphone. I bought an inexpensive (refurbished) Garmin. If it gets damaged or even falls off (😂) … no big deal … it was $100 … now if my $1000 iPhone suffered the same fate … that would be a big deal …
Same here, inexpensive Garmin mounted to the bars. LS52, or maybe the 50... I forgot. I had it mounted on my Road King then swapped it over to my Vintage. 5 years old and still working as it should.

+ $1,000 iphones have no place in my world ;)

·
Rider
859 Posts
Has anyone here had a problem with this?
I had a Tackform phone mount that I used on my Springfield for a couple of years that worked great and I had no failures with my Iphones while using it. However, that bike had absolutely zero vibrations in the bars. My Chieftain has a few vibes around 2500 rpms that could have possibly created an issue. I liked the Tackform so much when I had my Springfield that a few of my riding buddies got them as well and they did have a few iphone cameras develop the lens shake issue. Since I use RC on my Chieftain, and wirelessly connect my phone, I just leave it in my pocket all the time and no longer have this worry. My friends that had the Tackforms have since changed to QuadLock mount with the vibration dampener and have not had any failures since.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Not 1 Indian qualities for the definition of "High Powered Motorcycle engine"... No worries here.

·
Bronze member
2,163 Posts
Has anyone here had a problem with this?
I have Tackform on both my Roadmaster and my wife’s Chieftain. We’ve never had an issue with our iPhones on those bikes. When I picked up my FTR I bolted up a Tackform and blew out two consecutive cameras in my phone. I replaced it with the Quadlock using their vibration damper and I’ve had no problems since.

·
Bronze member
4,585 Posts
Tackform makes great stuff.

They have had this warning on their site for about a year and a half.

NOTICE: iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro Users
Recent consumer complaints related to Apple’s iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro cameras have become increasingly frequent on Apple's support portal and other tech-related media channels. Users are reporting failures with the new camera systems, found on the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro stemming from vibrations associated with mounting iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro on ATVs, Mountain Bikes, Off-Road vehicles, and Motorcycles.
As a precautionary measure, we specifically encourage users of the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro to avoid mounting these on their bikes.

·
Bronze member
2,163 Posts
Tackform makes great stuff.

They have had this warning on their site for about a year and a half.

NOTICE: iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro Users
Recent consumer complaints related to Apple’s iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro cameras have become increasingly frequent on Apple's support portal and other tech-related media channels. Users are reporting failures with the new camera systems, found on the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro stemming from vibrations associated with mounting iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro on ATVs, Mountain Bikes, Off-Road vehicles, and Motorcycles.
As a precautionary measure, we specifically encourage users of the iPhone 11, 11 Pro, 12, and 12 Pro to avoid mounting these on their bikes.
The Tackform crew told me earlier this year they are working on a vibration isolation mount.

·
Registered
30 Posts
In mid July we rode 1k+ miles out to S.D. on the evening of our arrival I went to take some picks of Deadwood and to my surprise my camera (I-phone XR) was very jittery, wouldn’t focus. The only way I could take pictures was in slow mode setting and take stills while recording. The phone was in my right glove box of my 2020 Challenger. Pretty sure the vibration is what caused my camera problems. Phone replaced for 700$ ouch.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Killed the cameras on an iPhone XR and XS on the Scout. Thinking maybe the lower revving TS engines don't cause the problem. I didn't have a problem until I started riding on the highway to work regularly.

Currently use the damaged XR in my Tackform mount. The replacement XS stays in my pocket. I had thought of trying to retrofit the Quadlock vibration dampener, but have no desire to test it with the XS. If Tackform is working on one, may wait to see what they come up with.

Love the Tackform mount by the way. Very stable and easy to use one handed.

·
Registered
73 Posts
This story was in the US version of the Daily Mail App…
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Product Automotive lighting Automotive design

I think it’s great they used an Indian for the story. I think it’s a Scout…

1 - 20 of 68 Posts