Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Indian Motorcycle just announced that Apple CarPlay is now supported on 2020 Chieftain, Roadmaster and Challenger models with navigation. iPhone users can easily access Apple Music, Maps, send messages with Siri and more through the Ride Command 7” screen and a supported Bluetooth headset (not included) – all on a user-friendly interface that iPhone users will instantly recognize.Owners can stay up-to-date with the latest technology by accessing a simple, free software download through the link in our bio or through their local dealership.
No mention about 2019 models and earlier.

·
Rider
972 Posts
Is android auto.supported?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Reactions: Rydahog

·
Registered
103 Posts
I read from Indian that it'll only be the 2020's. There's a hardware difference on them for the new traffic/weather connected services that's needed to upgrade to Carplay so us guys with 19's and under are out of luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I read from Indian that it'll only be the 2020's. There's a hardware difference on them for the new traffic/weather connected services that's needed to upgrade to Carplay so us guys with 19's and under are out of luck.
That sucks

·
Bronze member
3,943 Posts
Indian Motorcycle just announced that Apple CarPlay is now supported on 2020 Chieftain, Roadmaster and Challenger models with navigation. iPhone users can easily access Apple Music, Maps, send messages with Siri and more through the Ride Command 7” screen and a supported Bluetooth headset (not included) – all on a user-friendly interface that iPhone users will instantly recognize.Owners can stay up-to-date with the latest technology by accessing a simple, free software download through the link in our bio or through their local dealership.
No mention about 2019 models and earlier.

Yep was supposed to be out in March but it is here. And the 2019 and earlier units are made by a different company, so they are where they are and basically no more updates except for bugs or issues.

·
Registered
28 Posts
That’s great news, even though I have a 2019 limited . Still great to know Polaris is trying to keep up with the demand of the people . I’m eyeballing the new challenger and could possibly be in my future !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
545 Posts
I've was told something all together different. From the 19s to the 20s there was a "last minute switch" to Harmon Kardon (I think?) to make the new Ride Command. However the 19s still have a empty chip spot on the PCB of the Motherboard. Indian's plan was to keep whomever made the R.C. for the '19s to make the 2020s - but something happened. Anyway, I digress, apparently there will be a Dealer Installed "chip" that will enable AA / CarPlay for the 2019s, but nothing for the previous generation Ride Commands as AA/Car Play wasn't really thought about as a thing before the '19s and they don't have the required spot on the Motherboards on the 18s and below.

Hopefully they are still going to follow through with the upgrade and not throw it down the drain.

That sucks
Yep was supposed to be out in March but it is here. And the 2019 and earlier units are made by a different company, so they are where they are and basically no more updates except for bugs or issues.

·
Bronze member
3,943 Posts
I've was told something all together different. From the 19s to the 20s there was a "last minute switch" to Harmon Kardon (I think?) to make the new Ride Command. However the 19s still have a empty chip spot on the PCB of the Motherboard. Indian's plan was to keep whomever made the R.C. for the '19s to make the 2020s - but something happened. Anyway, I digress, apparently there will be a Dealer Installed "chip" that will enable AA / CarPlay for the 2019s, but nothing for the previous generation Ride Commands as AA/Car Play wasn't really thought about as a thing before the '19s and they don't have the required spot on the Motherboards on the 18s and below.

Hopefully they are still going to follow through with the upgrade and not throw it down the drain.

You were lied to by the dealer, no magical chip. The 2019 and earlier units are made by radio sound

·
Registered
545 Posts
Right back at you; which Polaris Engineer or Official told you that this is NOT TRUE? We can back and forth allllllll day my Keyboard commando friend. lol

Think about it for a second, anything I said, is it completely out of the real of possibility?

Okay cool, so which Polaris engineer or official told you this....

·
Bronze member
3,943 Posts
Right back at you; which Polaris Engineer or Official told you that this is NOT TRUE? We can back and forth allllllll day my Keyboard commando friend. lol

Think about it for a second, anything I said, is it completely out of the real of possibility?
Fair enough. The same one who told me Car Play was coming back in January which golly ge wiz dropped yesterday. But even last week some thought I was full of it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I think this whole COVID mess has really messed up the time-table for whatever they are releasing, whenever they planned on releasing. Some moved up, some moved back. I just hope that they haven't trashed the idea of the '19s "chips" being upgraded to support AA/CarPlay.

Glad you have a sense of humor. Thanks for not taking it seriously.

Fair enough. The same one who told me Car Play was coming back in January which golly ge wiz dropped yesterday. But even last week some thought I was full of it.

·
Bronze member
3,943 Posts
I think this whole COVID mess has really messed up the time-table for whatever they are releasing, whenever they planned on releasing. Some moved up, some moved back. I just hope that they haven't trashed the idea of the '19s "chips" being upgraded to support AA/CarPlay.

Glad you have a sense of humor. Thanks for not taking it seriously.

Its fine, but it is not like Polaris to add more functionality on older models.

For example for car play to work you have to buy the Navigation feature upgrade if you have the base model 2020's. Many thought that with the base model (no navigation) you could simply get Car play and bam your off. Well Polaris made sure that is not the case.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I don't trust 'em either (Ex- Victory owner here). The only way I see this actually happening is if they've spent the money on the R&D and have the "chips" ready to go so they can recoup some of their losses. That's the way it was explained anyway.

As cool as AA/Carplay functionality is, no one that owns a '19 is going to trade in a bike just to get that. Scratch that, I'm sure there are a few well-off people out there where money is no object. I'm not that guy though.

Its fine, but it is not like Polaris to add more functionality on older models.

For example for car play to work you have to buy the Navigation feature upgrade if you have the base model 2020's. Many thought that with the base model (no navigation) you could simply get Car play and bam your off. Well Polaris made sure that is not the case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone knows if the upgrade to Apple CarPlay will also work on the 2020 chieftain base models I heard it is only for the limited and dark horse anyone with base model can conform if apple CarPlay is enabled on base models

·
Bronze member
3,943 Posts
Does anyone knows if the upgrade to Apple CarPlay will also work on the 2020 chieftain base models I heard it is only for the limited and dark horse anyone with base model can conform if apple CarPlay is enabled on base models

The Limited and Dark horse have the full Infotainment system with GPS NAV. Car Play only works with units with NAV. Yes I know the point of car play is not to have to use the factory nav. Polaris knows this, so they are going to make you upgrade to the full nav system (pay for it) so you can use Car Play. Polaris is about extracting every penny it can.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The Limited and Dark horse have the full Infotainment system with GPS NAV. Car Play only works with units with NAV. Yes I know the point of car play is not to have to use the factory nav. Polaris knows this, so they are going to make you upgrade to the full nav system (pay for it) so you can use Car Play. Polaris is about extracting every penny it can.
Damn! That is some creativity to make you to get an upgrade to Indian GPS for Apple CarPlay. Only to render the Indian GPS ineffective by switching to some other navigation application through Apple CarPlay.... :)

However, I suggest, go for the updating the software, if you have 2020 Chieftain. If it doesn't work, then go for the GPS upgrade.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts