Indian Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No issues hooking up my Sena s10 or Apple play sync with my iphone.

Issue - I want to use the Sena only as a phone and have the audio stream from my phone. I can play from my phone but cannot answers calls unless I have only the Sena hooked up to bluetooth.

What have you done ?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Go into settings on your phone / click the Sena BT connection and select "use for phone only" (this is on an android phone - iOS might be different but this should give you a frame of reference)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thank you for asking this question. My sena smh10 works perfectly on my 2017 ridecommand and it doesn’t matter if I select bike or headset for audio, phone calls come thru the headset. On my 2020 ride command/ with CarPlay I can’t get calls either way. Also I wish there was a way to switch back and forth between headset and bike speakers within CarPlay instead of going out of it to ridecommand screen. I wonder if i need to buy a sena 50s or newer. My smh10 I’ve had for a while.
So far I love this Apple CarPlay.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Might be a long shot, but I know with Cardo, I have better luck pairing the bike as a GPS and pair the phone as a phone.

(said another way, the cardo unit can pair things as phone or as GPS, I know some senas have this as well might be worth a shot)

·
Registered
167 Posts
Might be a long shot, but I know with Cardo, I have better luck pairing the bike as a GPS and pair the phone as a phone.

(said another way, the cardo unit can pair things as phone or as GPS, I know some senas have this as well might be worth a shot)
Thanks. How is the audio on a Cardo I listen to a lot of audio books and podcasts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
IMO it's less about the unit and more about proper helmet speaker placement. That being said, any of the units with a 3.5mm jack can use high end helmet speakers and still have decent battery life. My full-face helmet with Cardo Freecom 4+ and xsound speakers adjusted as close to my ears as possible without discomfort sound incredible, whereas my dirt helmet with Sena 10R and speakers set back into the pockets sounds tinny and not great. In between I have a half helmet with speaker pockets and fairly well adjusted speakers sounds pretty good. It's really subjective too, if you want top quality sound you'll probably be disappointed.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've seen pictures of people that have waze and other apps on their home screens. how do you do that? I moved them onto the top in the actual Iphone but it's still just the 3 Apple apps that show on the bike.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Maybe iPhone settings, general, CarPlay and under my car select challenger and then go to customize. You can add remove apps there.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Maybe iPhone settings, general, CarPlay and under my car select challenger and then go to customize. You can add remove apps there.
Thank you Sir. I did try that and no luck. It's probably user error since I've never used it before, but it would be nice to be able to use Waze on car play.

·
Registered
239 Posts
You are talking about the "main" screen that has 3 sections. The left half of the screen is the map (apple map), and the right hand side is split into two sections. I am not sure it is currently possible (at least not that I know of) to configure any of that. I believe it's an limitation on the Polaris side in terms of what they allow. CarPlay itself seems to support that type of customization. I just don't think Indian has enabled that for us yet.

I am hoping for this as well, because I'd love to toss google maps on that screen instead, and also setup those other two halves on the right side to be something more useful.

I also REALLY want them to allow the text messages to be READ on screen instead of heard. It's so annoying and inefficient to have to listen to Siri speak all your texts instead of just simply being able to view them on the screen. I actually find it so cumbersome that it's less safe. That's also another limitation on the Indian side. Carplay allows this, Indian just doesn't have that implemented on their side yet.

But it's also the first release with Carplay, so hopefully they open it up a little more in a future update,

·
Registered
239 Posts
Oh I see. Is this a lite version of CarPlay. Is this possible in car stereo versions.
Yes, you can do exactly as you describe on Kia, Hyundai, etc. You cannot do it on a Honda though. So I know for sure carplay supports it. But the manufacturers then decide what to expose to the consumer.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Just bought a Sena 50s and everything seems to work perfectly as far as answering calls when headset is paired to ridecommand. The speakers in the Sena 50s are amazing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
FYI. I replaced my 2019 Roadmaster for a 2021 Roadmaster. I originally had a Cardo Packtalk bold when i had my 2019 and the only way i was able to use it properly was to pair my iphone to Ridecommand and my Cardo to the Ridecommand (the iphone and Cardo not paired together). Now when i got my 2021 I thought i was simply going to do the same thing. It does work. However, because it is a Cardo, the Carplay will not work. After contacting Indian support i was told that the only headset that is compatible is Sena and no others. I asked why that was and they told me that it is a licence agreement between Sena and Apple and that Indian could not do anything about it. Also, i asked why the Iphone needed to be plugged in the USB of the bike for Carplay to work. I was asking this because i would prefer to not plug the phone since i prefer to have it on my handle bars where i can see it. Now the answer was again an issue with Apple and not Indian. The license agreement clearly stated that for safety reasons the phone needs to be plugged in to prevent it from being in the riders hands so that it is totally hands free when in use with Carplay.

I also did some research on the web and youtube and did find a few gadgets that tricks the entertainment system (Ridecommand) in thinking that the phone is physically connected while actually paired by bluetooth to the gadget instead. My research base on lots of people who have used these gadgets is that they work on and off. The Issue is that Carplay is not actually installed on Ridecommand but on the phone. the software in Ridecommand allows the iphone to use Carplay app from the iphone and display it on Ridecommand. Now because these gadgets are paired to the iphone, it creates a lag in the info from the iphone and the Ridecommand when using the apps inside Carplay and causes time lags and sometimes crashes when using maps, google maps, and the other data hungry apps. Just a FYI since Carplay will not work properly without being plugged in the USB port of the bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts