Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

Apple car play disconnecting???

14K views 62 replies 26 participants last post by  wigwam 
#1 ·
Was wondering if anyone else is having the issue of their Apple CarPlay disconnecting from ride command. I will be riding along and it will disconnect and the only way to reconnect is to unplug and plug back in the USB to my phone. First I thought it was my iPhone 8 and I upgraded to an iPhone 12 and still doing the same thing. I even changed out the usb charging cable and still does it.

#2 ·
Yes, that is one of the many electrical/software issues I have experienced as well. As you probably are aware, it's super annoying because the phone is stored in that cubby and can't be easily reconnected--certainly not while moving on the bike! It essentially defeats the purpose of the whole integration in my opinion, and I completely gave up on it. I now have to just mount my phone to the handlebars to make the cord easier to unplug and replug while riding.

But honestly there are too many other glitches and carplay integration issues so I don't even use it anymore. :( It could have been so cool if they implemented it better like how some cars have done.

So now I just use the USB as a power source. My phone isn't connected to the bike at all anymore (other than via the USB to draw power). My headset now is paired with my phone instead of my bike. I can still use sir and everything, but I avoid all the disappointments of the caprplay implementation.

#63 ·
I agree AZ... just got my 22 Challenger. I find Apple Car Play (ACP) inconsistent. Sometimes I can engage it and other times it won't engage. Used it to get from Maine to the Adirondacks, no issues. Tried to use it to get back and ACP would not engage. There's so much wrong with the whole Ride Command system that I established a case with the Indian Ride Command folks and apparently this fall they will release an update to fix lots of issues like: RC routes don't push turn-by-turn directions to helmet audio; RC routes (gps) simply does not work (I set a 'test' route for work and RC kept trying to re-route me at every turn; the apple maps in ACP pushes turn-by-turn only to onboard speakers (useless when wearing a full-face helmet and earplugs) google gps works fine; can't play Pandora music AND have GPS at same time with audio pushed to the helmet - it defaults to the onboard speakers. My, my... unacceptable and they know it!

#3 ·
Cables are finicky and you’ll get a lot of disconnects from the vibrations and the odd angle pushing against your connector. I switched to this cable and haven’t had any trouble since. 90 Degree iPhone Charger Cable 10ft 2Pack,Apple MFi Certified Essri Long Lightning Cable 10 Feet Nylon Braided Fast Charging iPhone Cords 10 Foot for iPhone 11 XS Max X XR 8 7 6s 6 Plus SE 5 5s 5c https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LV8WBGR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_aZE-FbQK0BZ7M

Reactions: IndianAZ and Lutch
#4 ·
OK I ordered one of those 90 deg charging cables from Amazon we’ll see if that will fix it. It’s just drives me crazy that Indian had a year to fix these type of issues with the disconnecting of Apple play and the hunting of the Idle at stop. Thats the reason why I waited a year and it seems like I’m having same issues as the first model year 2020.

#6 ·
(I just posted this in the FB Challenger group)

Ever since the RideCommend update months ago offering CarPlay, there’s been a ton of posts about connection issues, setup tips, why a BT mic is needed, & has anyone tried a wireless adapter (such as the CPlay2air) ?
Just throwing this out there regards connection issues: What if it’s the CABLE?
Today I found A LOT of online chatter in various bike/car groups blaming CarPlay issues on bad cables (even some off-brand cables claiming to be Apple MFi-certified.) The most common “fix” seems to be using an official Apple brand cable (see the screenshots.)
I haven’t even tried CarPlay yet, but I want to.... while reading about it today the cable topic appeared often, and that’s why I’m posting this.

Regards the mic requirement... there’s been lots of posts on that, do a search & see. Days ago CJ Mac posted one easy option.

Finally, I found an informative article on CarPlay issues from an automobile perspective ...but maybe good tips for anyone troubleshooting a bike connection. (unable to post the link, but adding a screenshot... search to find it.)

#9 ·
I had a cheap cable in my car and it worked with CarPlay for a while then just stopped, but still charged my phone. I bought a braided cable and it’s worked flawlessly (knock on wood), so I bought the same one when I bought my Challenger and I haven’t had issue with ride command and CarPlay to this point. Even bought the same cable for my Harley and all is good.

#16 ·
Haven’t updated to CarPlay and honestly have never understood the point of it. My truck has it...but also has navigation and bluetooths the music from my phone just fine without CarPlay. I have more issues with it when I try and actually use CarPlay.

The challenger has navigation and bluetooths the music just fine as well. Read mainly issues with CarPlay. So I really don’t get the advantage of it (exception being if you don’t have navigation I guess)

#19 ·
Just saw this thread. I’ve experienced tons of disconnects between my iPhone and ride command - both on my old 2019 Chieftain pre-CarPlay, and on my 2020 Challenger. I had mentioned this to my dealer with the Chieftain, and they were adamant that it was the charging cable coming loose due to vibration/road bumps, etc. I suspected the cable wired into the bike was at fault, because when there’s a disconnect my charging cable is always fully plugged in. Anyway, the dealer explained the internal cord is hard-wired inside the actual ride command box, and in their view it “absolutely” had to be my charging cable. Changed to a 90 degree cable (different from the one mentioned above) and it helped, but not 100%.

My Challenger will disconnect occasionally - less so than the Chieftain - especially on a rough road. I think the charging cables we use (Apple, 3rd party, etc) probably shake loose just enough to interrupt the signal to ride command. can Seems like something they could engineer away - maybe a cord specific to motorcycles or something that securely mates to the usb connector. 🤷‍♂️

I’ve gotten real good and unplugging/plugging back in while flying down the highway. 😂

#22 ·
I contacted Indian customer support last year regarding this issue. They know it sucks. They know it disconnects. Anyone with CarPlay in their vehicle should have positive experiences, not quite with Indians rollout. I sent multiple error logs to Indian after CarPlay disconnects. There’s a dev menu that i had to download the errors onto a flash drive and was assured that these problems would be fixed on the next tide command update. Fingers crossed because they shouldn’t advertise it if disconnects as often as it does.

#23 ·
Yeah, I won’t pretend the new Ride Command is acceptable - definitely not acceptable for any infotainment unit to have all these issues (slow start up, lagginess, disconnection issues, etc) in 2021 - just basic stuff. Indian is just
lucky that the actual motorcycle is amazing! 😂

#30 ·
Even with a 1.5m Apple cable I still have the occasional issue. Not having my headset turned on before I start the bike does not help either. I recently stumbled into the bluetooth dongle wireless carplay adapters. I bought the Carlinkit 2.0 I have only done a few short rides since I got it. It has been a more stable connection then a direct cable connection with the phone. ymmv.

#32 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, wanted to give you an update on my wireless dongle (carlinkit 2.0) for wireless CarPlay. For the first few months it worked like a charm. Now after a few thousand miles, I’m experiencing the exact same disconnect issues as you/I have when I just plugged my phone into the usb. Really irritating. The last two times I was riding it was a persistent problem. Just an FYI in case any of you were thinking of going wireless - still not a perfect solution. 😭

Earlier today I was riding on a highway that had some bumpy/ripply surfaces, and it kept disconnecting. Last week I don’t recall there really being an issue with the road surface - sometimes you just hit a bump and it disconnects.

All I can do at this point is type up a long, detailed email to Indian and let them know I’m really unhappy. If it’s a software issue, they need to get on it. If it’s hardware, well, they still need to get on it. 😂 There is simply no excuse for this kind of experience on a $30k bike. I wonder if HD’s Boombox has issues like this? LoL 🤦‍♂️

#37 ·
The only issue I have ever had with the infotainment system on my challenger was the white apple iPhone cable I first used. I then purchased a small 5 inch cable with a 90 degree lightning plug. Ever since I switched to that new cable I have had zero disconnects. It was actually a fairly cheap Amazon cable. If that fixes the problem it is a cheap fix. Not sure if you have tried different cables but hell it worked for me. Maybe it could work for you as well.

#38 ·
I finally got the Car Play downloaded and installed yesterday connected it to my headset. Rode around the county haven't had it drop yet. Lets see how long it lasts.

#46 ·
sad bc the older ride command was good for myself and i didn’t nearly have the complaints i do with the new system. Add the fact that owners are closing in on a year since the “Apple CarPlay integration” and update. I sure hope Indian reads this because this portion of their product is TRASH. Get your heads out of your asses. Either get the update out that customer support promised me in email last October (i think) or hire competent engineers to fix this pile of shit.

#47 ·
I think this is engineering. And it’s really a Polaris issue (they put this hardware in all their stuff). And Polaris is much bigger than Harley, so there can be no excuses. Even if this was little Indian alone, if you’re selling it, it has to work. And if crappy little a Chinese companies can make android phones with all the functionality of Ride Command for a couple hundred bucks that work as-advertised, there really is no excuse. 🤬

#48 ·
Excellent video which well documents the RC issues. I love it how it dropped out on you while you were filming it. I do agree with your statement that so many Indian owners just accept the issues with their RC and do nothing about it. I do find it interesting however, that your RC system after a couple thousand miles using the Carlinkit, developed the same issues as what you were experiencing with just the phone plugged into the RC system.

So far, I have had great success with the use of the Carlinkit. I have about 1500 miles on mine and have only had 1 incident where it dropped the connection, and that happened when I hit a fairly large bump in the road. But, when I first got the bike and was plugging in my phone, I had disconnects all the time. I was certain that it was a physical connection issue with the cabling between my phone and the RC. However, about the same time I received and started using the Carlinkit, I found an issue with having the BT linked to the RC and using the wired connection at the same time. So, when I installed the Carlinkit, I also deleted the BT connection and have since had great success. But, regardless of my current or future success, I agree with you that this may just be a bandaid to the underlying problem which Indian needs to address. I and every other owner should be able to plug in our phones into RC and have it work perfect. It does in my other vehicles, so why not our bikes.

Also, the auto dimming and night/day function is a joke as well. The bike should not have been sold with this issue.

#49 ·
Excellent video which well documents the RC issues. I love it how it dropped out on you while you were filming it. I do agree with your statement that so many Indian owners just accept the issues with their RC and do nothing about it. I do find it interesting however, that your RC system after a couple thousand miles using the Carlinkit, developed the same issues as what you were experiencing with just the phone plugged into the RC system.

So far, I have had great success with the use of the Carlinkit. I have about 1500 miles on mine and have only had 1 incident where it dropped the connection, and that happened when I hit a fairly large bump in the road. But, when I first got the bike and was plugging in my phone, I had disconnects all the time. I was certain that it was a physical connection issue with the cabling between my phone and the RC. However, about the same time I received and started using the Carlinkit, I found an issue with having the BT linked to the RC and using the wired connection at the same time. So, when I installed the Carlinkit, I also deleted the BT connection and have since had great success. But, regardless of my current or future success, I agree with you that this may just be a bandaid to the underlying problem which Indian needs to address. I and every other owner should be able to plug in our phones into RC and have it work perfect. It does in my other vehicles, so why not our bikes.

Also, the auto dimming and night/day function is a joke as well. The bike should not have been sold with this issue.
Yeah, I’m glad I happened to catch the issue on film. When you’re making videos it can be a challenge to get every bit of nuance into it. A piece that’s missing is on my 2019 Chieftain everything worked fine for the first several thousand miles. And all of a sudden, I started experiencing the disconnect issues and they became constant. Same pattern on the Challenger (just with the carlinkit instead of the actual phone). I suspect a possible hardware issue and probably software too. What’s odd is that this newer hardware is from a new manufacturer, so why is it having the same problem? Makes me wonder if Indian/Polaris architects the device and then merely contracts out to have it manufactured, so that if Indian/Polaris engineers have a flawed approach it is being missed and simply carrying over from one generation to another. Super odd and frustrating! Regardless, everyone needs to *****! 😂

#50 ·
On my recent big trip, my riding buddy's challenger had RC stop working all together. It wouldn't boot up at all. I reached around and fused with the cables on the back a little and it booted up the next time. Maybe there's a lose connection somewhere. I personally haven't had nearly that many issues with mine.

#51 ·
Yeah, aside from the camera on my phone breaking 3 times, which I don’t really consider a “ride command” issue, I had zero problems with mine for 8000 miles. One time on my way to key west did it disconnect. Didn’t really think much of it at the time. But for the past 2000 mikes and last month in particular, disconnects every time I ride. Super frustrating! Also, one thing I didn’t realize - you can “reset” RC by pressing/holding the gear button. Might help your buddy!

#52 ·
We tried the gear thing. The screen would start to show the boot then stop then it just didn't do anything. He "has" to listen to music when he rides and it was killing him so I reached around and tried to make sure everything was secure from behind. (I watched the barnstorm install and they remove all that so I had an idea what it looked like.) After that it booted and has been working. We were 2000 mi in on our 3000 mi trip at that point.

#54 ·
————
I have the same issue now that I am going home from sturgis to California.
Experiencing more confusing issues, I have gps on the bike taking me different places so I switch to Waze and tried to cancel navigation on the bike can’t cancel keeps talking and Waze talking also. I know there should be a new update to fix it but why taking over a year for this update.
Is it true there is an update or the dealer trying to push me away, I like to hear it

#55 ·
Pretty confident a big update is coming. Indian HQ told me “summer.” But that seems to be slipping as it’s already August.

Only rec I can give you is to disconnect everything, cancel nav guidance, power off the bike, and reconnect everything. I’ve had that situation happen where you struggle to cancel ride command gps and the two conflict. Powering down and starting from scratch is the only thing that helped (or try pressing the reboot button while you’re pulled over).

Per the video I linked to above, I put an update on my channel. For the most part since the April software update I’m having a better experience. CarPlay works like a charm when I plug my phone directly into the bike. And while I had been having issues using my wireless dongle (Carlinkit 2.0), somehow some way those issues seem to have magically resolved as well. Can’t say what exactly is going on - could be Ride Command, iOS, the wireless dongle, or all 3 at different times. 🤦‍♂️

I also heard from a fellow Challenger owner who also works for Apple, and he’s been communicating internally from Apple’s side of things. Hopefully, hearing from displeased owners and their industry partner will put added pressure on Polaris to get their infotainment act together!

Here’s a link to my update. We all just need to communicate with Indian until this contraption works properly for all of us!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.