Indian Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Challenger Darkhorse
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if anyone else is having the issue of their Apple CarPlay disconnecting from ride command. I will be riding along and it will disconnect and the only way to reconnect is to unplug and plug back in the USB to my phone. First I thought it was my iPhone 8 and I upgraded to an iPhone 12 and still doing the same thing. I even changed out the usb charging cable and still does it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, that is one of the many electrical/software issues I have experienced as well. As you probably are aware, it's super annoying because the phone is stored in that cubby and can't be easily reconnected--certainly not while moving on the bike! It essentially defeats the purpose of the whole integration in my opinion, and I completely gave up on it. I now have to just mount my phone to the handlebars to make the cord easier to unplug and replug while riding.

But honestly there are too many other glitches and carplay integration issues so I don't even use it anymore. :( It could have been so cool if they implemented it better like how some cars have done.

So now I just use the USB as a power source. My phone isn't connected to the bike at all anymore (other than via the USB to draw power). My headset now is paired with my phone instead of my bike. I can still use sir and everything, but I avoid all the disappointments of the caprplay implementation.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Cables are finicky and you’ll get a lot of disconnects from the vibrations and the odd angle pushing against your connector. I switched to this cable and haven’t had any trouble since. 90 Degree iPhone Charger Cable 10ft 2Pack,Apple MFi Certified Essri Long Lightning Cable 10 Feet Nylon Braided Fast Charging iPhone Cords 10 Foot for iPhone 11 XS Max X XR 8 7 6s 6 Plus SE 5 5s 5c https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LV8WBGR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_aZE-FbQK0BZ7M

Reactions: IndianAZ and Lutch

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cables are finicky and you’ll get a lot of disconnects from the vibrations and the odd angle pushing against your connector. I switched to this cable and haven’t had any trouble since. 90 Degree iPhone Charger Cable 10ft 2Pack,Apple MFi Certified Essri Long Lightning Cable 10 Feet Nylon Braided Fast Charging iPhone Cords 10 Foot for iPhone 11 XS Max X XR 8 7 6s 6 Plus SE 5 5s 5c https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08LV8WBGR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glc_fabc_aZE-FbQK0BZ7M
OK I ordered one of those 90 deg charging cables from Amazon we’ll see if that will fix it. It’s just drives me crazy that Indian had a year to fix these type of issues with the disconnecting of Apple play and the hunting of the Idle at stop. Thats the reason why I waited a year and it seems like I’m having same issues as the first model year 2020.

·
Registered
914 Posts
OK I ordered one of those 90 deg charging cables from Amazon we’ll see if that will fix it. It’s just drives me crazy that Indian had a year to fix these type of issues with the disconnecting of Apple play and the hunting of the Idle at stop. Thats the reason why I waited a year and it seems like I’m having same issues as the first model year 2020.
It’s ridiculous how easily those cables break inside that cubby. That one I linked has been going strong for quite a while now. I got the three foot one. It’s way too long but you can bind most of it up in the bottom of the cubby.

·
Registered
120 Posts
(I just posted this in the FB Challenger group)

Ever since the RideCommend update months ago offering CarPlay, there’s been a ton of posts about connection issues, setup tips, why a BT mic is needed, & has anyone tried a wireless adapter (such as the CPlay2air) ?
Just throwing this out there regards connection issues: What if it’s the CABLE?
Today I found A LOT of online chatter in various bike/car groups blaming CarPlay issues on bad cables (even some off-brand cables claiming to be Apple MFi-certified.) The most common “fix” seems to be using an official Apple brand cable (see the screenshots.)
I haven’t even tried CarPlay yet, but I want to.... while reading about it today the cable topic appeared often, and that’s why I’m posting this.

Regards the mic requirement... there’s been lots of posts on that, do a search & see. Days ago CJ Mac posted one easy option.

Finally, I found an informative article on CarPlay issues from an automobile perspective ...but maybe good tips for anyone troubleshooting a bike connection. (unable to post the link, but adding a screenshot... search to find it.)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not to derail the thread, but be a bit leary of the wandering idle issue and kee an eye on it... That is something my bike had (has?) too. It is currently in the shop getting new throttle body put in to address the issue of the engine just randomly cutting off. I am hoping this fixes the idle wandering issue too.

And by the way, regarding the carplay issue... I also thought that maybe the cable was getting disconnected etc, but I am almost certain that is NOT the case. I think it's a software issue on Indian's part. I say that because the phone is still charging even though Apple carplay just disappears. So clearly the cable is still connected....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not to derail the thread, but be a bit leary of the wandering idle issue and kee an eye on it... That is something my bike had (has?) too. It is currently in the shop getting new throttle body put in to address the issue of the engine just randomly cutting off. I am hoping this fixes the idle wandering issue too.

And by the way, regarding the carplay issue... I also thought that maybe the cable was getting disconnected etc, but I am almost certain that is NOT the case. I think it's a software issue on Indian's part. I say that because the phone is still charging even though Apple carplay just disappears. So clearly the cable is still connected....
Yes I did notice that the phone still charging even though it was disconnected from Apple carplay. I actually had the bike shut off today at a stop light. It was hunting then just died. It seems to be maybe a fuel map issue. The Apple CarPlay seems to be a issue with ride command. Besides these 2 issues the bike has been great. Hopefully indian(Polaris) will figure these issues out and just be a simple software update.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had a cheap cable in my car and it worked with CarPlay for a while then just stopped, but still charged my phone. I bought a braided cable and it’s worked flawlessly (knock on wood), so I bought the same one when I bought my Challenger and I haven’t had issue with ride command and CarPlay to this point. Even bought the same cable for my Harley and all is good.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes I did notice that the phone still charging even though it was disconnected from Apple carplay. I actually had the bike shut off today at a stop light. It was hunting then just died. It seems to be maybe a fuel map issue. The Apple CarPlay seems to be a issue with ride command. Besides these 2 issues the bike has been great. Hopefully indian(Polaris) will figure these issues out and just be a simple software update.
Sounds a lot like my bike. I'd take it to the dealer as you may have yourself the same throttle body problems I do. Hopefully I'll have my bike back soon so I can verify things are working well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Please keep me in the loop and let me know so I can let my dealership know. My bikes only two weeks old with 600 miles on it and it’s a 2021.

·
Registered
273 Posts
It's my understanding. That mother ship changed vender in 2019 . Went to Harmon. That's when problems started ???

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had a cheap cable in my car and it worked with CarPlay for a while then just stopped, but still charged my phone. I bought a braided cable and it’s worked flawlessly (knock on wood), so I bought the same one when I bought my Challenger and I haven’t had issue with ride command and CarPlay to this point. Even bought the same cable for my Harley and all is good.
Thx Moe-
LOTS of cable options out there for sure, many are cheap life-limited junk I think.
You recall the brand of cable that’s proved good for your car/bike CarPlay connections?
Link?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thx Moe-
LOTS of cable options out there for sure, many are cheap life-limited junk I think.
You recall the brand of cable that’s proved good for your car/bike CarPlay connections?
Link?
I don’t recall the brand, but I’m sure I bought it on Amazon. I was a prime member for a long time so ordered lots from there.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Haven’t updated to CarPlay and honestly have never understood the point of it. My truck has it...but also has navigation and bluetooths the music from my phone just fine without CarPlay. I have more issues with it when I try and actually use CarPlay.

The challenger has navigation and bluetooths the music just fine as well. Read mainly issues with CarPlay. So I really don’t get the advantage of it (exception being if you don’t have navigation I guess)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have had good success with the following configuration:
  • Bluetooth off on the phone
  • Bluetooth connection from a Sena to the bike
  • Plug the phone into the USB connector.

A small inconvenience to remember that before I get the road, but solid for the last 1,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Was wondering if anyone else is having the issue of their Apple CarPlay disconnecting from ride command. I will be riding along and it will disconnect and the only way to reconnect is to unplug and plug back in the USB to my phone. First I thought it was my iPhone 8 and I upgraded to an iPhone 12 and still doing the same thing. I even changed out the usb charging cable and still does it.
Same issue here. Works great when it works but very frustrating.

·
Registered
2020 Indian Challenger Limited in Bright Freaking Red!
58 Posts
Just saw this thread. I’ve experienced tons of disconnects between my iPhone and ride command - both on my old 2019 Chieftain pre-CarPlay, and on my 2020 Challenger. I had mentioned this to my dealer with the Chieftain, and they were adamant that it was the charging cable coming loose due to vibration/road bumps, etc. I suspected the cable wired into the bike was at fault, because when there’s a disconnect my charging cable is always fully plugged in. Anyway, the dealer explained the internal cord is hard-wired inside the actual ride command box, and in their view it “absolutely” had to be my charging cable. Changed to a 90 degree cable (different from the one mentioned above) and it helped, but not 100%.

My Challenger will disconnect occasionally - less so than the Chieftain - especially on a rough road. I think the charging cables we use (Apple, 3rd party, etc) probably shake loose just enough to interrupt the signal to ride command. can Seems like something they could engineer away - maybe a cord specific to motorcycles or something that securely mates to the usb connector. 🤷‍♂️

I’ve gotten real good and unplugging/plugging back in while flying down the highway. 😂

·
Rider
677 Posts
Just saw this thread. I’ve experienced tons of disconnects between my iPhone and ride command - both on my old 2019 Chieftain pre-CarPlay, and on my 2020 Challenger. I had mentioned this to my dealer with the Chieftain, and they were adamant that it was the charging cable coming loose due to vibration/road bumps, etc. I suspected the cable wired into the bike was at fault, because when there’s a disconnect my charging cable is always fully plugged in. Anyway, the dealer explained the internal cord is hard-wired inside the actual ride command box, and in their view it “absolutely” had to be my charging cable. Changed to a 90 degree cable (different from the one mentioned above) and it helped, but not 100%.

My Challenger will disconnect occasionally - less so than the Chieftain - especially on a rough road. I think the charging cables we use (Apple, 3rd party, etc) probably shake loose just enough to interrupt the signal to ride command. can Seems like something they could engineer away - maybe a cord specific to motorcycles or something that securely mates to the usb connector. 🤷‍♂️

I’ve gotten real good and unplugging/plugging back in while flying down the highway. 😂
Did you give up on using the CarPlay Adapter Dongle ?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts